- advertisement -

Hello Everybody

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Temera, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Temera

Temera Approved members

My name is Temera and my little girl was diagnosed with diabetes thursday. We just got out of the hospital today, I'm looking to friend other parents who have children with diabetes. Nice to meet you all.

2. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Welcome! I am sorry your daughter was diagnosed...those first few days/weeks are hard. But know that it will become more normal and the sadness lessens over time. Please read as much as you can on here, it is a wonderful source of information

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 - November 2009. He is now 4 and does everything a 4 year old should. He just finished his first year playing t-ball, and he loves to swim.

Your child will be able to live a great life with a few modifications. Keep your head up - we are always learning.

Ask lots of questions here. I found that ENDOs - even pediatric ones - don't have all the answers because they don't live daily with toddlers with diabetes.

Send me a personal message if you need to.

4. Temera

Temera Approved members

Ty Kelly and Robin. It has been hard on us but I know it was hard for you both as well. I'm glad the sadness lessens because I have taken it pretty hard. Nice to meet you both

5. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

I am sorry for your daughters diagnosis. As time goes on, it gets easier, and there is a new "normal" to life.
    My daughter is 19 now, diagnosed at 15..so I can't offer any help...just know that here on the forum, we are all in this together.

6. caplaylolmay

caplaylolmay Approved members

hi and welcome i have a 2 1/5 year old daughter who was diagnosed 6 months ago we all know how tough it can be at the begining but just be strong and things do get easier as time goes on how old is your child?
    takcare

7. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Hello Temero,

I'm Shirley and I'm truly sorry for your daughter's diagnosis.. I'm only 3 weeks into this myself and still paranoid.. I'm barely starting to eat again(although my son's appetite as been enormous)...I'm struggling to get a grip on things as the days progress.. my son though he is smiling and happy and ready to conquer the world..yes on several occasion it has hit him what he has to look forward to and he has been upset and crying about it and hurts like hell.. I"m sleeping slightly better...but feeling tired and listless in the morning.. I guess I'm handling it as well as to be expected right now...but life goes on and somehow I have to find strength to deal and make sure my son has the best life ever...and as I read through threads it amazes me how wonderful these children are...how they continue to fulfill their dreams...and how strong these parents are.. I have learned so much from them and am greatful I have found this site..

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Sorry for the dx...but so glad you found us! You will get support and information from the parents here. Just don't hesitate calling your doctor when you have questions---believe me, they are used to helping bewildered parents at the start (and if they aren't good about that...look for another group!!) Read as much as you can because knowledge is power! Here's a book that you can read online (and you might already have it if you received the bag of hope from the JDRF):

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...eBooks/books/Pages/UnderstandingDiabetes.aspx

Just scroll down a bit and you can click on the chapter to read (but not print).

9. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

I'm sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis. But you have come to a really great place. My daughter is a bit older than yours so I won't be helpful but there are others on here that have younger children that will be a great source of help. We are new to this, my daughter (13 years old) was diagnosed on May 19th, shortly after her 13th birthday. I was devastated and scared that I wouldn't be able to do this right. But I have come a long way. It is a grieving process and you have to let yourself go through each step of the process. You have all those feelings. I found this site shortly after and the people here have been so helpful. The first time I wrote and all the responses I got was so therapuetic for me. I breathed a sigh of relief to know here was a place that I could go to for support. I recommend that you educate yourself. It will give you confidence. A few books I have read are: "Think Like a Pancreas" and "The Joslin Guide to Diabetes". Also I went on the JDRF site and signed up for the "Bag of Hope" A woman called me from my area and another lady came to my house with her daughter, they are both Type 1 diabetics. They brought me and my daughter the "bag of hope" it had a few book in it and a cute teddy bear and a free Accu-Check meter. They were so nice to talk to. Keep doing what your doing. Keep reaching out for help and you will find some great people and great answers. You will find a new "normal" and You will be able to do this!! I Promise!:) We are all here for you so visit CWD as often as you need to for support! Best regards to you and your family!:)

10. Temera

Temera Approved members

Yes Kaleigh's appetite is big to now that she is taking her insuling before she wasnt a big eater. I'm sorry about your son I hope everything goes good for your son. I have been so scared too lol cant sleep at night constantly checking her blood to make sure she is ok. Last night I got a 294 so that was high but she didnt have ketones. Yes this website has been a big help to me too. I hope your son feels better...

11. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

So sorry for your daughter's diagnosis. I am sooooo glad you found this site! I didn't find it for many years after dx! I have 2 daughters with D, and one without. Most days are good days, and D is just part of our life. I do remember those first few weeks with each, and it was heart-wrenching. I pray things go smoothly for you all!

12. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi - welcome. We have all been where you are... I went thru a period of grieving for a while... mad, sad, angry, you name it. I still find myself crying at times, but, yes, it does get better with time. But my advice to you is to read REad READ everything you can and educate yourself. As you read and learn I believe your fears may be lessened.

Best wishes,
    Kathy