- advertisement -

Heavy Sleeper...how can she go to college?!...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by parentsofk, Mar 4, 2019.

1. parentsofk

parentsofk Approved members

My daughter sleeps so heavily she rarely wakes up to her CGM alarms, including when they go through her iPhone connected to a small speaker! She wakes to my voice quite readily though.

She is a junior in high school, but college does not seem very far away, and seeing as we are making no progress in this area I am beginning to get concerned. How could she go off to college when she won't wake up if she goes low in the night? We have had some frantic evenings when she's slept over at retreats and the like - we get alarms, see her going low, and cannot rouse her by texting or calling her. We end up calling a chaperone or something who wakes her.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any success stories or suggestions?

P.S. I am going to try rigging up a bigger speaker :)

Cheers,

Paul

2. parentsofk

...to my point, my daughter's alarm was just going off for the past 10 minutes until I went into her room and quietly spoke her name!...

3. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

My daughter is off to college next year :eek:
    She also sleeps through her alarms ALL of the time. However, a friend of mine is a hypnotist and he suggested these exercises to help her wake up which have seemed to help. Before she goes to bed she plays relaxing music and over and over repeats that she will wake up when she hears the phone and it has worked. So, its weird, she doesn't wake to her alarm ... but when I get an alarm on my phone via Nighscout, I call her in her room and she can wake and test and correct or take sugar if she needs to. She is also on the Medtronic 670, so she can also just go into auto and I know she wont go low and she will be ok.
    Definitely a scary time, as they venture off!

4. parentsofk

Thanks! You understand!

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Our experience has been that my daughter wakes better now that she's away from home than when she lived here, but I still have Share with the 55 & below set for safety and do call her sometimes. The biggest game changer for us, though, has been her starting on Basal IQ two weeks into her first semester away. The nights when it's not working (two or three pump failures) have been hard on both of us.

She is conscious of needing to wake for alarms and tries not to stay up too late because of it. She told me tonight that her apartment for next fall will be a "granny" apartment for how early they all retire.

I believe the pump vibration is more effective than the phone alarms for waking her. She liked the old receiver for the same reason, but the new one was too large to use effectively and it & the pump can't connect at the same time.

She told me recently she intends to get a dog when she's on her own and train it to wake her if she's sleeping through alarms. Not a full-trained DAD, just a dog that responds to Dexcom.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

If she wakes to the sound of your voice, maybe try recording your voice on the phone and working out a way to play that during an alarm.

rgcainmd likes this.
  7. iwillfightwithfire

iwillfightwithfire New Member

I am a type one who does not feel my lows or highs. I use the Dexcom G6, and I had the G5 when I was getting my bachelor's degrees just a few years ago. I placed my receiver in a cup on my nightstand to help amplify the sound. Honestly, though, I really just trained myself to wake up to the sound of the Dexcom alerts. Now that I have the G6 I can further customize my audio alerts and that has been helpful for a heavy sleeper like me, too.

rgcainmd likes this.