- advertisement -

heartland pasta purchased at walmart

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by jewlzann, Apr 4, 2011.

1. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

Mad at myself (and the company) found some reasonably priced pasta at Walmart, says gluten free and wheat free on front of package. shame, shame on me, for not looking before now, but just noticed on side... processed in a facility where wheat is present. left a message for them, but have a feeling customer service is not going to be real great, seems like a small operation. thinking of just returning it to walmart. maybe i will to see if they call me..

any info/comments/ etc???

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Julie,

Last month for my support group meeting, we watched a DVD from HealthNow's Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Forum. One of the speakers on this DVD was Cynthia Kupper, RD,CD - Executive Director of Gluten Intolerance Group and Gluten Free Certification Organization.

At the end of her talk she had a Q & A period and similar question was asked about shared facilities.

In order to prep for the meeting [and to have something for those that could not make the meeting], I took detailed notes on her 1 hr session. Here are my notes regarding that question.

Asking Heartland about their manufacturing processes (how they clean their lines, how they handle GF and NGF ingredients, etc) and do they test their end product for gluten are all important questions to have answered. I would venture to guess they don't test their final product, but you don't know until you ask.

Please, let us know what you find out from the company.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  3. aklap

aklap Approved members

This might help...

http://www.heartlandpasta.com/faq.asp

You just need to decide if 20 ppm is too much...