- advertisement -

Hearing the CGM alarms

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by acoppus, May 19, 2016.

1. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

I have fairly severe hearing loss and wear hearing aids. We currently use the Medtronics pump with Enlite sensor, mostly because of the MySentry device they had. The MySentry alarms are loud enough to wake me up at night when I don't have my hearing aids in since it sits right beside my bed. We have been running into more issues lately with the sensors and their accuracy. The MySentry is 5 years old and I don't think they sell them anymore. I woke up the other day to a blank screen on it so I am afraid it is starting to wear out.

We are seriously considering switching to Dexcom, but I am so afraid I won't hear the alarms. I can't even hear my cell phone ringing beside the bed at night. Besides a baby monitor, do I have any other options for helping hear the alarms? Also, if we go with the Tslim pump with integrated dexcom, is there still a separate receiver?

Thanks!

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use Share with the IPhone. What we do is use a Bluetooth speaker paired with the phone. This way, the sound is amplified. It works well.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

ichecknand see if you pump can utilize the connect device if so you can utilize a cell phone or iPad for alarms, you can go further and upload the carelink/connect divice to Nightscout and use a computer web browser for alarms. I found the connect divice SMS alerts to be very good.

Ve have a Vibe for my oldest and it is similar to tslim , and yes you can use a receiver along side a the pump.

4. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Do you know if you can use share with Android?

5. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

We do use the carelink and connect. That has been part of our frustration. We get a lot of "information unavailable " from it.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Certain versions, if you go to the Dexcom website it tells of the compatible devices that can be used with the Dexcom Share2 app.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

What's nice with Dexcom Share is that you can have the receiver set to one sound, the phone set to a louder sound, plus add in the speaker for additional volume. Lots of us have teens that are very proficient at sleeping through alarms who will have to wake to alarms before they move out.

I couldn't hear the alarms on the Medtronic, and it was cheaper to switch to Dexcom than buy MySentry. It was the best decision we could have made, and my daughter has zero interest in returning to their cgm. I think if you switch, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference.

8. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Thanks everyone!