- advertisement -

Healthy snack for treating low BG

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LoveMyHounds, Jun 1, 2014.

1. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

What is your CWD having? My DD hates glucose tabs/candies/frosting/sugar/everything else.at.this.point.
    We try to avoid juice, because even the one with the smallest amount of carbs we found (10) is too much for her.

Would any fruits (the best would be the dry ones) work quickly enough?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We use fruit strips regularly. How do you set the Dexcom? We will also use peas, carrots, etc. for an alarm of 80 that is a slow drop. It seems like about 4 mini carrots will do the trick to bump her toward 100. For lower numbers, we use glucose tabs, frozen orange juice concentrate, honey, etc.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We've found ripe bananas and watermelon to raise bg fast.

4. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Fig Newtons. Aldi's brand is less than $1 per package.

The fig filling is a fast carb; the cookie outer part is a long carb. 11 carbs per cookie.

And they travel pretty well in a small container =o).

We also keep Go-Go Squeeze apple sauces in her go-bag. They aren't quite as cheap but travel really well. They also come in different flavors and have no added sugar. About 15 carbs.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OMG

Flashback.

When my dd was very younge we used fig newtons to get to the next dose of 1/2 or full unit.

Isn't it like 10 carbs per cookie?they are easy to devide.

I

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I like Go Squeeze or fruit leathers. Fig newtons used to be on the list, but my daughter said that when she's low that they sometimes feel like trying to chew sawdust. When she's low, she gets really funny about textures, so things can be hit or miss...

7. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

We use clementine oranges and grapes. Clementines are 10 carbs each and 1/3 c of grape is 8-10. My son's go-to choice for lows right now is Nerds as they are easy to carry and can be eaten quickly..but not healthy at all :tongue:

8. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We use raisins often. It only takes a few to raise her BG where we need it to be.

9. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Thank you guys for some great ideas! :)

Did anyone try meringues? (OK, forget the word "healthy" from my topic :wink: )

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

They aren't particularly healthy, but my DD uses pretzels often for non emergency lows. She doesn't care for sweets regardless, let alone after a lot of lows. They are super fast for a non-sugar food. Basically just white flour and no fat to slow absorption.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we are experimenting with dried mango's. So far the times that we have used them they didn't seem too slow.

Also dried apple are pretty carby for just a little bit.

Pretzels are very quick!

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We've been dealing with a lot of lows lately. I just reduced several basal and I:C ratios last night. So far haven't really noticed a significant improvement. This morning Ashleigh was 64, but is also getting sick of glucose tabs, candies, and juice. So she had a banana with peanut butter. We cut the banana into slices and smeared PB in the middle. Made several little "sandwiches". It worked, brought her BS up to 125.

13. bettycrackpot

bettycrackpot Approved members

we use gogurts. 12g per tube for most of them. since my Dkid is a toddler, I feel the chiobani are too thick for a low. but I believe they are 9g.

14. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

I'm curious whether y'all would use these alternative snacks for a serious low (say, in the 40s) or whether you would only use them when your child has just dipped below range. Do you have a cutoff number for choosing a pure sugar snack vs. a healthier snack?

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

anything below 60 gets a juice box, first.

We CGM and if it was a drift down to 70 and no active insulin then yes she could have an alternate snack, if it is 90 with double arrows down and IOB then its a juice box.

16. JamieTheTiger

JamieTheTiger Approved members

Gogurts/tube yogurts. Applesauce if the low isn't below 70

17. Ali

Ali Approved members

So I find this interesting. The last time I had a discussion about this I was told that juice was not that fast and to use glucose tabs for those real lows. Do you find that something like apple juice works quickly enough when you have IOB and are dropping? I tend to use soft drinks, i.e. coke or ginger ale or a glucose tab if I am going low quickly. For mild drops I use something else like a gumdrop or skittles etc. Thank you
    Lisa

18. dpr

dpr Approved members

We just bought some dried pineapple today as a low snack. She wanted to try a little to make sure she liked it (she did) and the Dexcom shot right up!

19. Ali

Ali Approved members

Wow, I will try this, I know pineapple is super high in simple sugars so makes sense but isn't dried pineapple pricey?? Hate to say it but I use sugar a bunch on a regular basis to raise my BG, I use a CGMS, but will add it to my kit of stuff to use. Thanks for the idea.
    Ali

20. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD goes for apple juice for dire lows (under 50) and fresh fruit for anything above that. But even the dire lows, she'll just have enough juice to get her to around 60 and then top it up with fresh fruit. Works for her. :cwds: