- advertisement -

Healthy person and exogenous insulin? hypo?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by ecure, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ecure

ecure Approved members

Hi

Could you confirm me if one person totally in perfect health
    who will give him exogene insulin for increase sport performance or other reason not linked with his health condition could have hypo because he gives too much exogene insulin to him ?

or it's not impossible ? the compensatory mechanism with glucagon could counteract any dose of external insulin(exogenous insulin)?

Quotation: but it is also abused by body builders and there are reports of severe hypoglycaemia as a result.
    It looks like even a healthy subject could have hypo from external insulin.
    source:http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Drugs-and-Sport.htm

Thank you for sharing :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

A simple google search brought up multiple articles and information on people who have DIED doing this, so clearly the body's glucagon response isn't something to rely on.

What an incredibly foolish thing to do.

Not a research proven response but my own personal knowledge of how the body works tells me that the liver would quickly deplete its store of sugar; inject and go hypo, liver shoots out more sugar...all the natural response. But keep injecting over time and at some point the liver has no store of sugar anymore.

I would also think that over time injecting a healthy person with normal pancreatic responses could lead to insulin resistance.

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I've heard of cases of people murdering others in this way. There was a case here in NZ in the 1990s, so I wouldn't think it would be a good idea.

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I believe that the Glucagon reaction will help out a non-D person who over insulinises. The Glucagon reaction is impaired in Type 1..

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The glucagon response will help to prevent hypoglycemia, but if a nondiabetic took a large enough dose, especially of a faster acting insulin, especially while doing something like aerobic exercise, yes, it can certainly cause hypoglycemia.

6. ecure

ecure Approved members

As I heard a non-diabetic person would send insulin in bloodstream just before to start a meal and our body don't know some other exogenous insulin gradually enter in our bloodstream for next 4 hours. It's like just to think you will eat soon a good meal will induce the beginning of insulin release in preperation of your meal. You don't eat anything yet but your body is in pre-meal insulin release..

So our system will give us too much endogenous insulin at beginning and exogenous insulin will continue to effect even if endogene insulin is already high...

I read even some healthy subject will have too much insulin released after a big meal very rich in carbs..

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I think reactive hypoglycemia is more common than we know.

I believe that when Selah was honeymooning we saw what you describe, with basal at night. I believe that when her bg dipped below, say, 200 her pancreas began putting out insulin, but the Lantus was still working as if she weren't. So what we'd see is she'd go low because she had her own insulin and Lantus working; we'd treat and she'd go above 200, then she'd go high because now she just had Lantus and not her own insulin. Once we corrected her to below 200, she'd plummet again because she'd have that correction, the Lantus, and now her own insulin again.

Oh, and sometimes I feel like I'm the oldest person on the board!!!! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_von_Bülow