- advertisement -

Health Care Form For Camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Aug 8, 2008.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I am po'ed. I just received the health form from the doctor's office, a summer fill-in not his regular Pedi. Our regular was not available, over booked and going to D camp himself, so we went with the fill-in. I really liked her during the visit, she asked lots of questions and was very interested in D. She noticed his record indicated that last fall, just after D dx, when we were working on his I.E.P eval. I inquired about ADD. This was to cross all our "T's" and dot all the "I's" with the eval. After much consideration , myself and the school decided to write in his I.E.P something along the lines of "inattentive at times" and leave it at that. I am not looking for another dx. I feel we will explore this avenue when we, his family, daily caregivers and educators deem necessary. His teacher said that by the end of the school year with his BS in check and maturity he is not, in her opinion, inattentive.

So here is why I am po'ed...the fill-in wrote on his form, "possible ADHD, will workup in the fall, very active kid." This her opinion after a 20 minute visit. When it asked, what other treatment or conditions (other than DIABETES) to be continued at camp, she wrote "INSULIN". Well considering he needs insulin for diabetes, duh! She also wrote all his ratio, she only new them because I told her, not like she issued them.

Am I over reacting, probably but the "very active kid" statement bothered me the most. He was extremely nervous, thought he had to get a shot (I know, the D kids nervous about a shot), he gets very silly and chatty when nervous.

Maybe I am in denial but I am not ready to put another label on my child without a proper medical/education evaluation, not just a 20 minute wellness visit from someone who has never been with my child before.

2. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

I'm sorry about what happened. My DS is 8 and ever since he was diagnosed he gets very anxious when we go to ANY doctor now. He's a really good kid and most of the time not all that rambunctious but you wouldn't know it by how he acts in the doctor's office. It does bother me that because that is what they see the few minutes he is in thier office that it's thier impression of him because they definitely are not getting a true picture of who he is. For what it's worth I think all elementary age kids are "inattentive" at times.

3. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I think I would be irritated too. Kylee also gets very chatty when she is nervous and she cant sit still. I drives me batty when she does it because it always seems to be at the endo or something like that where I am either listening or saying something important and she is talking the entire time. I think doctors and schools are way to eager to label kids at ADD or ADHD. DHs godson was diagnosed as one or the other, I cant remember which. After spending 4 days with him while he was off his meds, I would say that he isnt ADD or ADHD, he is smart and bored. He is going into first grade and I would guess his reading level to be about third grade(I did a lot of reading assessments last school year so Ive got some idea what to look for). He is very inquisitive and busy, but not at all hyperactive. The parents are divorced and mom was the one to get him on meds. Dad is not at all in agreement with it, but the school is because he got in trouble a few times last year. Mostly the trouble was things like wandering around the classroom, talking to other kids while they were working, that type of stuff. Im sorry but if a 5 year old finishes his work early and you dont give him something else to do, he is going to find something to do and that will most likely be out of his seat and talking to somebody else. The class was working on the alphabet and he could already read, of courses he was bored.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I view "very active" as a good thing for a kid to be. It describes a healthy kid. I also wouldn't worry about the adhd thing. I'd even say most kids get a "possible adhd" dx at some point. When I worked at camp I'd say easily half the kids had some sort of add/adhd label.