- advertisement -

Heading to Sweeney tomorrow

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Jul 11, 2012.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Camp is almost over for my son this summer. Such a bittersweet feeling. I hate that we even know about it, but so so SO grateful for the wonderful experiences he has while there. I seriously LOVE that place. I'm sitting here watching the final campfire live, catching glimpses of my son, laughing and being goofy and it's just so valuable, this time he has with people who just GET it. I'm watching an adorable 6 year old play the piano right now, oh my, what a sweetie.

Then I start crying because that sweet six year old, not to mention my amazing 17 year old, has this cursed disease and why can't the craziness just STOP.

No real point to this post other than to say that D CAMP ROCKS!! Seriously, if you are on the fence about sending a kid, go for it, it's just such a valuable experience.

And yeah, last year there was some controversy about Sweeney, and I fully expect my kid to come home with the sniffles, what we affectionately call sweeney flu...you just can't have 100s of kids in one place for 3 weeks and not expect illness. But it's worth it.

I've missed him so much. But I can't say I have missed diabetes. This year in particular I have relished the time without worry, without doing the little dance of "what's your sugar" without irritating him or causing him to go to his room. I haven't missed his high blood sugar rages or his ravenous lows. I haven't missed diabetic confetti, though I have laughingly enjoyed my runs every morning and seeing the 7 strips that are scattered a MILE away from my house, where we leave the trash for pickup.

Went to the store yesterday and stocked up on sausage and chocolate milk, some ramen noodles and peanut butter and ritz! LOL, I don't think I've cooked more than twice since he left, and I've definitely not thought about carbs. (and just for the record, that's not what I COOK, that's what he eats in between meals...and he wonders why he's high???).

So, send your kid to camp. He'll make friendships that are invaluable, he'll fill his emotional toolbox up with folks he knows are there for him, thick or thin, and he'll have an amazing time in the meantime.

Dh and I take the time to have a night out, no kids, on the return trip home. Win-win!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. spamid

spamid Approved members

I know what you mean. My DD went to the first session, and had a blast! It's the one thing she wants to do more than anything else the entire year. I remember the controversy from last year, but I think? it was calmer this year.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Sounds like it was a great experience for your whole family! How long was he gone?

4. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

How long are the sessions? Are all 3 weeks or are 1 week sessions offered? My son is attending Lions camp for the first time in less than 2 weeks ;)

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Summer sessions are 3 weeks long, I think they have some winter and family sessions that are shorter though. We've not done those.

Just got him home and he had another fabulous year! His dog was soooo happy to see him though.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

p.s., after you see how he does in the one week session definitely consider the longer one...it's tougher on ME than on him, he loves EVERY minute of it. As a parent I get to see photos of him most every day and videos every week at least, so those little glimpses reassure me. As dramatic as it sounds, D camp has been transforming for him. I highly recommend it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want more information.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Sweeney is a camp that kids love or they don't. I am glad your son had a great time.

For others, keep in mind that not everyone has such a positive experience. It can go either way.

Sweeney tries very hard to be sure the campers have a good time.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I really like hearing about D kids having a terrific time at camp, be it Sweeney or Barton or any of the others. I think it's probably not unlike non-D kids. some love camp, some try it and hate it, some can't imagine wanting to go. As they say, it takes all kinds.

I also think age of dx plays a role, but I'm really glad that D camps exist, even if it's not my D kid's thing.;)

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree. I am T1 but have three kids not T1 and they all had very very different responses to the same camp. Tried some other camps with some of the kids and "for sure" some of my kids were camp kids and some not. The camp style and mix of kids/staff can make a difference but also some kids just are not "camp kids". :)ali

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It's funny, my son really disliked camps before he was diagnosed, just wasn't his thing at all. He values alone time and isn't fond of big groups, and is a bit of a rebel when it comes to group activities (you'll never see him dancing in the front, that's for sure!!) He tried a few different types and liked one 4H fishing camp, but not as something he'd repeat or anything. When he was diagnosed and started showing some signs of depression, we basically forced him to try it. He agreed to go but really did not want to.

It's been such a good fit for him and has given him a group of friends who get it, who understand what he's going through, folks he can talk to in regular D-speak. Honestly though it's the counselors he has bonded with strongly, at his age they are as much peers as superiors and he really enjoyed getting to know them and has most in his phone list now.

No real point here except to say that I fully expected him to go one year and not want to go back, but it seemed worth it to get him out of his funk. Instead he ended up really having a great time and looking forward to it.

I do know it's not for everyone and there are kids who tried and didn't like it. To each his own, clearly! But I fully expected him to be "eh" about it and was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

11. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

My daughter just got back from session 2 at Sweeney and desperately wants me to call and see if there's room to go back for session 3! Unfortunately, we have plans for late July so I can't. Next year, I'll sign her up for 2 sessions with the stay-over weekend option. Having her gone is definitely harder on me than on her :). Lauren LOVES Camp Sweeney. The experience has made a huge difference on her independence and D control and just her attitude about having D. But from her perspective, it's just tons of fun.

12. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter is at camp right now. I wish we had the 2 week option. She would love that. As it is, I think they took 1/2 a day off this year. We dropped her off at 1:30 last Saturday and we have to go pick her up at 7pm on Friday. She didn't want to come home last year. Maybe I need to sign her up for 2 different camps as there are a few different ones around us.