advertisement

Heading to Orlando in July!

Discussion in 'Friends for Life' started by Rapunzel, May 13, 2012.

1. Rapunzel

Rapunzel Approved members

I'm so excited, my daughter was diagnosed on 7/10/2010 and I had never heard about this until this year. We filled out a scholarship application and low and behold we were accepted! I'm a little nervous about flying, and this is the first time we'll be leaving a 70-ish mile radius of our house. It will be just Lauren (7) and I as my husband cannot get the day off work and my son decided he'd rather hang out at grandma's house than to have to sit through "boring diabetes stuff".

Anyone know what to expect?

Thanks!

2. dragonblimps_mom

dragonblimps_mom Approved members

OMG, is your son going to kick himself for not going! There is absolutely no chance that he could get board at FFL (no matter how old he is.) Plan to have an incredible time. The kids will meet famous people up close and personal who have cycled across America, driven race cars for a living, are pro football players, been Miss America, all while dealing with T1D. There's also the cutest, huggable dog that has T1D too. The Marriott has several world class pools. Mom, it won't take you long to realize Lauren will have 900+ adults including dozens of CDE's who are watching any kid with a green bracelet for signs that they may be having problems. You can relax and go to a fascinating lecture knowing that if anything goes wrong, they will find you. Lauren will bring home the names and addresses of her new friends for life. They don't call it that for nothing! If it's not too late, have your son look through the photos from the previous FFLs. You've never seen so many smiles!:D Here's a link to last year's photos. http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2011/photo1.htm

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. Rapunzel

Rapunzel Approved members

Thank you so much for responding! I was beginning to think this FFL thing might be a hoax! :p I'm really sad that DH and DS can't make it, but hopefully if all goes well this time, we'll know far enough out for next year what days for DH to request off! :cool:

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I replied to you on the DIS board back in early May but I'm over here also.:cwds:

This board doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic. The conference organizers hold live chat sessions every now and then and those are well attended. You can also read the transcript of past chats and that might help answer questions. I can try to find a link. Here it is: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/ There was a chat on May 14th but it isn't linked yet. Hopefully Laura will have it up soon or you could email her and ask if she can put it up.