- advertisement -

Heading back to Atlantis. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Sep 1, 2015.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We went two years ago and yes we were newer to T1D, but I remember feeling "there has to be an easier way". Keeping up with the equipment. Where to store it? Do we risk leaving poolside? What do we take with us? I don't feel like we were very efficient last go round, so any tips would be helpful. I'm most concerned with the CGM. I'd love to take it with us around the park while also packing some easy-to-carry carbs. The PDM and supplies we can store and retrieve as needed. But I'd love to keep the CGM receiver on me. Any waterproofing ideas? Is it a bad idea overall? Are the slides too rough on the receiver? Thanks for any input!

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We use this Drycase product to carry our dexcom receiver. It is meant for a smartphone, but works great with the dexcom receiver. You can push the button through the case and see the numbers.

https://www.drycase.com/product/DC-13.html

We love it. Usually, my husband or I wear the case with the dexcom receiver in it, and follow my dd around. It can go into the water, we have used it in the water for a Night Manta Ray snorkel at the Big Island. You should test it out first with a tissue, and make sure the product is not defective before use it.

Our Omnipod and Dexcom have survived waterparks, ocean activities. You may need to tape the adhesive down with Opsite if become necessary. I always have strips of opsite ready and in a plastic bag in case it is needed.

Have fun!

3. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

I don't have any great ideas for you - my DD is on MDI and we were at Atlantis last year and going back this year. We rented a locker to keep insulin and supplies in throughout the day and I bought some waterproof bags from Ebay and carried her meter, glucose pinned to my bathingsuit or hubby's. I just wanted to say have fun and we can't wait to get back!

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Thanks!

Yes really looking forward to it. We did the lockers but wanted CGM data while walking throughout the park. Thanks Cheetah-Cub I will look into the case!

David

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We are going to Atlantis for the first time in October. :)

We have a similar case for the Dex that we have used with success at waterparks. We do find that once the Dex becomes completely waterlogged, it often drops the signal, even when he is out of the water. It also seems to shorten the life of that particular sensor, so pack plenty of extras.

Hope you guys have a great time! When are you going?

6. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We went over Labor Day weekend. The boys had a blast. Being out of the country, the waterproof cases make me nervous. I just don't fully trust them. And you are correct, CGM coverage is very spotty when sensor/transmitter is water-logged. He's good about feeling his lows so we just kept carbs on us and checked every few hours. One thing to keep in mind is that kids have to be at least 48 inches tall to ride the slides. I know your son has that covered but not sure about siblings/friends that also may be going. I would think October would be a terrific time to go with little crowding. Have fun!!