- advertisement -

Headaches since diagnosis. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JeremysDad, Jan 24, 2010.

1. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Jeremy is doing quite well adapting to a life of BG tests and MDI. He can tell when he starts to go low and we compensate with some fruit snacks. We think we have a handle on D so far.

Over the past 3 weeks or so, he has complained of headaches. His BG seems to be ok but he has had more lows recently and I think he is starting to honeymoon. His BG when he complains of headaches is anywhere from 100 to 140. Headaches are not a symptom of him going low. He feels shaky and his heart races. He has been as low as 52 with no headache at all.

Anyone else experience headaches that seem to be related to D? They are not severe and seem to go away after a while.

He has never complained about headaches in the last so I'm questioning their cause that may be related to D.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive now and for good reason.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Not sure if 100% related to D, but my son (6yrs old) has also complained occasionally of headaches, usually when he wakes up. Even if his BG is ok, I wonder if it dipped a bit too low, and caused the headache.

You may also want to get his eyes checked.

It may also be allergy or sinus issues.

:cwds: Good luck!

3. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I would have to say that headaches are related to BG swings, and can even be a symtom of highs or lows fast rises or fast drops, i hope you figure out what is triggering it for him.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

No headache issues here at all.

Does he have a significant and fluctuating caffeine intake? That can lead to headaches, esp. when you miss a day's coffee, tea or cola.

5. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have had headaches when DS has been running not low, but on the low side. I attributed them to an undetected low and we made some adjustments to prevent them and the headaches did stop.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

In 4 years no headaches that I can remember.

7. Toni

Toni Banned

One bad migrane within the first month she came home after dx. She was very high. Never any since. Migrane definitely related to the high, I think.

8. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

I know that my mom who has been T1 for 30+ years says that, if she has alot of bg swings it cause headaches, and if she has a fast dropping low there has been times that it has taken over 24hrs to stop feeling really crappy from it, biggest issue is headaches. My nephew suffers for BG related Migranes, and they can get really bad fast, from bg swings. Hopefully his numbers even out soon and it will make a difference, just do your best to keep him comfortable, while he has one.

I think DS gets them but he is too young to get a straight answer from so some days when he is having alot of issues, like cranky and upset meltdowns with BG we give him something just in case, and lots of quiet time.

9. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Jordan gets headaches, and I suspect they are when his bg is fluctuating (a drop or rise).
    Good luck figuring it out completely!

10. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Recently, and not in the context of diabetes, I read that up to 70% of headaches are caused or worsened by lack of hydration. Perhaps if BS was even a little elevated, this could be exacerbated. Whenever my kids - D or non-D - complain of headaches, I have them drink 8 oz. of water before we talk about ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Works 90% of the time.

11. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

I definitely agree that swings in BG either up or diwn can cause headaches. I have seen it in Wendi and experienced it myself. Hopefully the honeymoon will be strong and help even out th BGs. Good Luck

12. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

My daughter was suffering from headaches a lot about a year ago. We stopped certain medicines tried to pay attention which foods might trigger one also paid attention to blood sugar changes but didn't notice any patterns. We figured out that she was grinding her teeth. Once summer break came and she wasn't so stressed she stopped. This year school isn't quite as stressful so she still isn't grinding that I can tell.

13. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Jeremy drinks caffeine-free, sugar-free cola so it's not that. I do not have more info on exactly when he feels the headache but I will start writing it in his log to see if there is a trend. I think I will have Jeremy check his BG as soon as he feels the headache.

Based on the responses, it sounds like there may be a connection between the transition from high to low.

He has never had them before until just after diagnosis.

Thanks for the replies.

14. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

we share the dx date - and the headaches. Jake actually complained of headaches before dx and was being treated for migraines/allergies. They seem less since dx which make me feel like they are BG related. Haven't gotten the exact cause and effect down yet but when he is in the 50s, always the headache - anything in the 300s and up headache.

I would love to figure this out for him!!

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

When my blood sugar drops fast, or stays low too long, I get vicious headaches, and most times migraines

16. MaryMom

MaryMom Approved members

My daughter had frequent headaches and blurred vision for months before her diagnosis. It has been four months since her diagnosis and she still has headaches. We have had her eyes checked, we have told the doctor about the headaches, and no one seems to have an answer. We have checked her BG during the headache, it can happen when she is low, on target or high.

Doesn't make any sense.

17. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Headaches for Steven are rare, he will get them sometimes if hes very high 350+ but more often he will complain of stomach pain with highs. Does your son wear glasses? has he had his eyes checked recently?

18. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

She'll get the occasional headache with a big swing in numbers, as others have said, usually high to low for her.

19. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Please don't read to much in to the following, because our situation was probably different. Marissa started having headaches about a year ago. I figured she was simply developing allergies. Her growth had slowed slightly but nothing that seemed too alarming. Turns out she was diagnosed with celiac. There were no obvious symptoms. As soon as she went to a gluten-free diet, her headaches went away.

Again, don't be alarmed because her situation could be different. But celiac is a variable to keep in the back of your mind that affects 10% of type 1 people.