- advertisement -

Headaches and stomach aches

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Marina, May 13, 2013.

1. Marina

Marina Approved members

My 8-year old son was diagnosed with diabetes when he was one, and for the past year or so has been complaining about frequent stomach aches and headaches, as well as difficulty breathing. I am thinking this is not likely to be related to the diabetes, and it has really only become an issue over the past year.

Before going to the doctor, I wanted to check if anyone else has experienced something similar. We live overseas at the moment, so going to the doctor is always a little less straight forward.

Thanks in advance!
    Marina

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Is he a child prone to stress or reacting emotionally to things? Obviously, you don't want to write any physical complaint down to, "all in his head" but it is possible that it's anxiety related. Or celiac could explain the stomach pain and headache. Just thinking in terms of things that might be Type 1 related, celiac and emotional stress are the most likely.

You might want to log when he complains of the symptoms and see if there are any common factors.

Hope it turns out to be nothing.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The first thought that comes to mind is Celiac disease. Has anything changed in your lives that would cause stress? How have the blood sugars been? Do the symptoms occur at a certain time of day (ie. before going to school)? I would keep track of the symptoms and possible triggers.
    Always best to go to the doctor for consultation.

4. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

My first thought was also Celiac. Stressors came to mind second. Maybe try to keep track for a while to see if you can figure anything out.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If my child were complaining of frequent stomach aches, headaches and trouble breathing for a year I would have taken them to the doctor ASAP. I would not want my child to suffer with those symptoms for a year.

So I would recommend having them seen by a medical doctor as soon as you can, so they can properly diagnose what the issues are. Good luck.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I think we can assume the child didn't have those symptoms EVERY DAY for a whole year...maybe they have become more frequent or acute just recently. So to the OP, it's not overkill to take your CWD to the doctor for those symptoms, but I hope you dont' feel like you dropped the ball by not taking him sooner. I'm not sure how you'll interpret Christopher's comments. I just don't want you to feel bad.

I always thought you'd know for sure if you had celiac because of the intestinal symptoms...it turns out, in talking to a friend of mine, that it doesn't always manifest through GI symptoms. She wasn't officially diagnosed, but she experienced muscle and joint aches (among other things) which symptoms have lessened or disappeared since she went gluten free a few weeks ago. Just a thought.

But we don't know the cause; that's what doctors are for. :)

I hope it turns out to be nothing. Good luck!

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

But that is not what she said. I based my comments on the information she provided. She said:

I took that to mean for the past year or so they have had frequent stomach aches, headaches and difficulty breathing.

But you are right, I do not want the OP to feel bad about what I said. I was just saying what I would do.

To the OP, don't feel bad about what I said. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  8. Marina

Marina Approved members

Dear all,

Many thanks for the useful tips. Yes, logging all the symptoms is a great idea, and my sense is also that it may be stress-related. But we should rule out other more serious physical difficulties including Celiac - and trust me, we are in the process of doing that....

Many of his complaints have been very vague, and as I mentioned we live overseas, making health care a little less straight forward. I really appreciate the responses, although of course I realize they don't substitute for a medical opinion!

Thanks to all,
    Marina

9. sariana

sariana Approved members

My daughter is 8 now, but was diagnosed just shy of turning 3. She has been complaining that her tummy hurt as well for quite a while now. We are in the US, so naturally I drag her to the doctors as soon as I noticed a pattern. They tested her and said that she was literally "full of poop". She is now on Mirilax every day. Her head aches have picked up as well when she is not low, but we drew blood a week ago at the endo, so they will be checking for Celiacs. I hope that it is nothing serious with yours!