- advertisement -

He needs some help!! Can you help me??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by concernedauntie, Oct 16, 2010.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

Wow...just wondering what she would do to treat a low 'properly' and why she thinks what you are doing will make him die? You do exactly what we do...depending on the number of course..sometimes more sometimes less...hang in there!

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

That's impressive that a 3 year old can identify that feeling and articulate it.

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

do they count carbs or just give novolog?
    My almost 12 year old takes 2 units at meals, and I can guarantee that he eats way more than a 3 year old.
    Everyone's insulin requirements are very unique to the person, however that still sounds like a lot of insulin to me, thus the 64.

It would be helpful to encourage them to learn carb counting and have insulin ratios to go along with it

4. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

In a way it's not all her fault. She is going from what she was told 38 yrs ago by a very nice GP she had known, and gone to, for years. When he is low she gives him juice until he feels better. Last time it was about 1 liter :eek: Not sure what his numbers were later. This was before my son was dx so I thought that was the right thing to do. He also stops all insulin when he is sick. She was very shocked to see our sick day plan.

Over the years my mil has blessed out Drs and nurses that have tried to tell her something different than how she was taught all those years ago. But hey, my bil is a MAN! He needs to be doing all this for himself!

As for this thread it does seem that the parents are needing to be more careful. Three is so young! Could it be they are fudging on what they tell others because they don't want anyone to worry? Maybe they are making light of lows or highs when they talk to others... I do this depending on who I am with.

I too would be scared of what such huge swings are doing.

"At that time he complained of his stomach hurting and telling everyone he felt "low."

This did make me think they were testing frequently. For a 3 yr old to know he is low means they have been keeping up with it well enough for him to grasp this association.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Unless you're directly involved in his childcare or babysitting, I'm not sure how this is helpful to your nephew. What you could appropriately do is encourage his parents to check out the site and forums.

And I would caution you about judging any aspect of his D management - it's not an easy or straightforward matter.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If the real issue is that they don't think a BG of 600 matters, then hopefully when they see their son's doctor and he or she looks at their BG meter readings and A1C, the doctor will say something. If the doctor does not impart a sense of urgency, it may be hard to convince them otherwise unless they share your sense of protectiveness.

If on the other hand the issue is that they are trying and can not do any better (and want to do better) then there are definitely people here who can help.

7. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Testing my daughter at night at 3am or sometimes 5am, doesn't make me a BAD parent during the day. It makes me a GOOD parent overall, at night and day. Diabetes doesn't take a break on my daughter at night, I can't take a break from her care either. However I don't think parents that choose not to test at night, are BAD parents, they are luck their child can keep a steady bs at overnight.

8. timsma

timsma Approved members

"Joeys actually reads HI at 600 or above. I believe you can set them at a certain number to read as HI or LO"

I've never seen a meter that you can set the settings yourself to read HI or LO. They are all preset. Many are preset at 500, but some are preset at 600 before reading HI. I believe most are preset to read LO at anything under 20.

9. joan

joan Approved members

This is a tough situation you are in and it would be hard for me to be around them if I felt my nephew was not getting adequate care regarding his d. They are young and I know if my son was diagnosed when I was 21 I would never have realized the impact this condition would have on his future. But as others have said sometimes it appears that we parents don't know what we are doing. So many times my mother would ask why is he so high? She had no clue and still doesn't about d and that comment went through me like a knife.

Do other family members have the same concerns as you? Does the child go to daycare or have babysitters? How do these others feel? If your concern is shared by others it might be worth sitting down with your brother and his wife and sharing your concerns. This is a difficult issue for you and I hope your nephew is getting the care he needs.

10. joan

joan Approved members

Her son was probably on NPH insulin and if a person on NPH skipped a snack or a meal they usually would need more than 15 carbs to bring up a low because NPH has a peak >4hours after it is given. That peak in the NPH usually required a meal to keep the bs stable so if the person on NPH had a low when it was peaking and there was no food intake 15 carbs would not be enough to bring that bs up. We are lucky there are better insulins now and we can give insulin based on what was eaten.

11. timsma

timsma Approved members

She mentioned in her second post that he is on novolog and lantus.

12. joan

joan Approved members

Sorry if that post was confusing. That was in response to PrimAdonna's post and sooz's post about PrimmAdonna's MIL stating that 15 carbs is not enough to treat a low based on her own son's d from years ago. This was not in response to the op. I should have been clearer.

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This thread was hijacked and so there are two separate topics going on at once. Best to stick with the OP's original topic and for PrimAdonna to start a new thread for the secondary topic.

14. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

Absolutely not wanting to hijack anything. Just making a point that even when the family IS aware of diabetes they can miss it. We can give all the great advice we can think of but if the op is not around the child enough to know then it is moot.

15. Christopher

I didn't mean you did it on purpose. I think it just happens sometimes. :cwds:

16. joan

joan Approved members

If I knew how to put a quote from a previous response in after I responded to the op I would have but since I am not computer savvy I had to make another post.

17. Christopher

See the little quote marks next to the "Quote" button? Click on that in each post that you want to quote and then hit "Post Reply" and all the different quotes will show up in your post.

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Huh! I absolutely did not know that! I just write out the

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  19. Christopher

My bill is in the mail.... ;)

And I think this thread has reached its conclusion anyway....so no worries...:cwds:

20. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Maybe I misunderstood when it was explained to me so thanks :). I wasnt sure if it was a factory set or something we could do. Im not sure what his LO is set at. I dont think Ive seen anything under 40 or so but I HAVE seen LO. Is there a way to check that? Kira, thanks again for clearing that up for me! :)