- advertisement -

He caught his first low!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Dec 18, 2012.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Up until now, Ethan (6, dxd 1.5 years ago) never told me he was low, I could usually tell just by looking at him.

Tonight after dinner he says "Mom, can you check me, I think Im low. Well, maybe high or low, Im not sure". Sure enough, he's 71. I told him I was very impressed that he could tell that he was going low and that he did really good letting me know.

If feels like kind of an odd thing to be happy about but Im excited to see him noticing it on his own.

Thanks for sharing it with me :)

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

:) it is an important step. great for him.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Not odd at all....much less scarey for you to have him becoming aware, I would imagine. Yeah for your son!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Funny the things we get excited about:cwds:

This is a huge step and congrats to him for being able to listen to his body.
    Wait until they wake up at night from feeling a low, that's a moment that had me doing back flips:eek: People may think it strange, but I was happy that in our case, her body knew something wasn't right.

5. dshull

dshull Approved members

That is awesome! I had the same thing happen last week. He was 66 and caught it before I even noticed it. I was so excited I wanted to buy him a present as a reward. Sad what we get excited about but it is a really really big deal.

6. mysign17

mysign17 Approved members

That is great news! Congrats!!! Yes it is a strange thing to celebrate, but still worth celebrating:D

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yay!!:):) I remember that feeling well...when my son started feeling his lows. It really is a thing to be happy about...it takes some of the stress off you when they can feel what is going on and you don't have to completely rely on checking or your gut feelings.

Very happy for you and your son!

8. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

He's very proud of himself for this new ability. Last night I got home from work and he did it again, my mom was watching him and he asked her to check him. So she does and he comes in SO excited, "MOM!! Im 59!!!" lol

Now, to figure out why he keeps going low after dinner...