- advertisement -

'he CANNOT be in marching band...'

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Jul 30, 2009.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

Not sure if Johnny would like to be in marching band but it is a really good way to meet friends and be involved with the school. In this district, the 8th graders (Johnny is going into 6th) get a chance to audition to be with the highschool marching band - I am sure that is a nice honor.

Well, I was just mentioning this to dh and he responds - 'he cannot/will not be in marching band' -

I told him that he can do anything that he wants to.

I told him that people with Type 1 can do anything they want to.

He told me he will talk about it later. I guess he doesn't believe that.

2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Sure he can be in marching band and its a wonderful thing!! My son who is NonD plays the drums since he was 5..hes in his HS marching band..Yes your son can so do this..he can do anything he wants :) Dont be so hard on DH (even mine says dumb things sometimes)
    He told me once that Amanda should not have a pump because she is so used to "shots" oh brother!!! :)

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There was a teen on here in a marching band. It sounded challanging but doable.

4. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

This is all fairly new to your family. Give him time. It's not like this decision has to be made today. In a couple years, you'll all have more experience and be more comfortable with dealing with T1d and activity. It's not worth the argument today.

5. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Wow...Hopefully you guys can talk this out. I was in band and totally enjoyed it. Of course I was not T1, but others were!

6. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Abbey's middle school band participated in a memorial day parade and did great-she plays clarinet. Tested just before parade started and kept a gluco burst in her pocket. I followed the band with the glucgon and extra glucose. We set a lower temporary basal an hour before. T1 requires planning but doesn't keep her from participating in any activity.

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Sounds to me like Daddy may have an issue that has nothing to do with diabetes. Was he perhaps tormented by a rogue percussionist during his HS years?

8. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Just hang in there, you will get more confident with adjustments and activity.

9. linda

linda Approved members

last post...lol......of course JOHNNY CAN BE IN MARCHING BAND!! Very popular here, and great way to get involved for parents too!!...We have a friend and mentor with 2 BOYS WITH D both played in the band!! 1 now is a counselor at Ems camp NEJEDA....there are many people doing great things with D that dad should get educated on....if he is thinking about road trips, you or dh can probably go along, and especially over nights! On a personal note, i went with em on all school trips from diagnosis in 5th grade until last year, i think i can now report that we are confident she can go on trips alone this year. She has gone on a few outings this summer with other friends and their parents and they have secretly monitored her and told me she did many checks and treated whenever she needed and if she ever thought she needed any help or assistance was able to convey the message no problem. It all comes with time. Maybe dad is nervous now, but with education and spending time with your son and seeing him cope with d, he may gain the confidence.

10. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I'm betting a trumpet player. They're all... well, you know.

OF COURSE he can do it!! Come on, our kids can play frisbee and swim for hours on end but not march?

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann was in marching band all 4 yrs in HS and she had Type 1 all of those years, also played softball, basketball, volleyball, etc.

12. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

I am sure your H is just worried about your child,but Brandon (13)
    played the quads (4 drums ) in the marching band this past
    year,and he did fine..I say this because they are very heavy
    to carry,and I was sure worried..but we were at every march,
    and his friends always made sure he was okay.I hope your
    husband changes his mind..Maybe he could volunteer to be
    a band chaperone?? Hoping for the best..Becky

13. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

No reason he can't be in Marching Band. Even though Nick plays varsity football, he plays in the Jazz Band, Concert Band and Marching Band for the summer parade season. Since he can't march during football season, he acts as the directors assistant. After Nick was diagnosed, his band director went out of his way to make sure Nick stayed in band.

14. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

My D son was in marching band with no problems. He made it through the two week band camp enduring 8 hour days in the hot sun and had no problems with competition days that might last from 8AM to 11PM. The band director understood that he might need to stop to treat if he was low, but everything was fine. I chaperoned a couple of the competitions, especially the double show day, so I could carry things for him. He always had tabs and a small meter in his pocket and one of his friends who helped carried his regular kit. Our music booster president was a member of the pit crew and he is a registered nurse/EMT, so I felt Matt was safe even if I wasn't there.

By all means, let your son participate if he wants to. We found the marching band - well, the whole music department really - to be a great place for our son. The kids are good students, well mannered and they are like a family with the upperclassmen looking out for the younger kids. Our younger son can't wait to get there!

15. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

16. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I agree...there are ironman triathletes who compete 140 miles in one day, cyclists who race across America..all with type 1.
    I loved band, and yes it was physically exhausting sometimes...but ANYTHING is possible with planning!

17. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex was in marching band all thru highschool. The only thing he missed b/c of D was one competition the weekend he was diagnosed. After that, he marched in all 1/2 time shows, competitions, early morning practices, 3 weeks of full day band camp every summer and trips to Disney, Chicago and other places.

The band director and the 'band moms' were all very accomodating and took very, very good care of all of the kids including Alex and other kids with chronic diseases.

18. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Hey no talking about trumpets while I am around!! LOL!!

Anthony's friend has D and is in marching band. Christian is sooo looking forward to be in marching band.

They all play trumpet!!:p:D

19. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

I did marching band for my entire 4 yrs of high school!!!

20. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The WILL NOT makes me think theres more to it than D :(