- advertisement -

He backed out on us

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sarahconnormom, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor was supposed to go home with my parents today and stay until Tuesday. He was very excited and we had his stuff all packed up and in their car.
    Then, at the last minute, he backed out and would not go. He just kept leaning against me saying he wanted to go but he wished I could go with him. We told him it was his choice and he chose to stay home.
    He did stay overnight at my parents when I had surgery 2 weeks ago but I was only 10 minutes away and my husband was there also that night.

This behavior is all due to diabetes. Before he was dx he stayed with my parents for several nights every summer and he would stay at my inlaws overnight. Ever since he was dx he is so clingy towards me and does not trust anyone else with his care. He is fine to stay with others for a few hours during the day but he wants me there at night. I am the only one who has ever done a site change. He freaks out if anyone else tries.

When he does stay with others during the day though he is very reluctant to give them any responsibility for his care. He wants to do it all himself. It's like he only trusts me, his dad, or himself to do it.

This has just been another reminder that diabetes really does interfere with his life and takes away some of that carefree attitude a child should have.

2. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Big hugs to Conner! Caleb is like that, too. He won't even let DH do a site change, it HAS to be me! Hopefully, as he gets more comfortable with his D he'll feel better about letting others help. I hope the g-parents didn't take it too personally.

3. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Luckily, my parents are very understanding and willing to take things at his pace. They are ready to take on caring for him and his diabetes as soon as he is ready to let someone else take the reins for a day or two.

4. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Even at 13 when she was first dx'd, Reann did not want to be away from me at night. But then not being the only one to stay at a volleyball overnight she did, but didn't sleep at all. Things went well that night and she decided it would be okay.

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Aw. I'm sorry he's having such a hard time. Alex, of course, was older when he was dx so he didn't have this problem but I could see that he might have had this problem if he was younger.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan spent the night at my mom's house for the first time just a couple of months ago. He was so excited and it went really well. Then a month or so later my mom wanted the kids to come again for a night so we set it up for the following weekend. Nathan had a stomach ache the entire week leading up to that night. In fact, I brought him to the doctor for it and the found nothing wrong with him. I ended up going to the store and buying him a tracphone on the way to my mother's house. I told him that he could call me ANY time about anything he was worried about. He didn't have a headache or a stomach ache the whole time he was there. He called me about a million times....

Now two weeks ago the kids stayed at my mom's for three nights!!!! Nathan brought his phone and only called me a couple times. I know he worries about other people not taking good care of him. So, for him, the phone gave him the reassurance that I would be there for him any second.

7. allisa

allisa Approved members

Melinda,
    Sorry to hear that !

Sorry for YOU as much as him. We parents need and deserve some down time....I WISH WISH I had parents who would offer to take my kids :(

I think you should really encourage him to try this...it will be good for ALL !!

knowing that you back up his decision may make him think you agree with his decision....will make him positive it was the right decision....

If it were me....I would do the " try it for 1 night" deal......

Please don't think I'm criticizing you ....I just know what a BLESSING it is to have parents/family/friends who are willing to do this....and I hate to see it wasted :p