- advertisement -

HCG diet/drops/injections?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mmgirls, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I really don't know anything about it so inform me please!

Good the bad and ugly welcome.

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have no idea what you are talking about??? Sorry:pali Want to hear also:DAli

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Isn't that where you are given human chorionic gonadotropin (?sp) which is the pregnancy hormone to help you lose weight?? I know nothing else :confused:

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Does the HCG diet work ? and is it safe?

Answer

No on both counts. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has advised consumers to steer clear of over-the-counter weight-loss products that contain HCG.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues. HCG is not approved for over-the-counter use, nor has it been proved to work for weight loss. Companies that sell over-the-counter HCG weight-loss products are breaking the law.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes from what I have heard around the water tank is that it is a prgnacy hormone that allows you to only lose fat, and not muscle. It can only be used for short time periods, with an exercise regiment and a lower calorie diet.

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

This is a good site for info. From what I've heard the drops are a scam but lots of people have succeeded in losing a lot of weight very fast on the injections. The trouble as always is regain.

A friend just started the diet a couple of days ago. He has had a bad headache. I heard that goes away after a day or two. The diet is 500 calories a day! He's always been a big eater and he says he isn't hungry. Mentally it seems like its difficult, but the hunger seems under control. 6 pounds lost in 3 days, but if were me, I wouldn't get excited over those first 5 pounds or so, because they can be water in the beginning. But the protocol promises a pound a day until the end. I guess he'll see if that's true before long.

ETA: actually you aren't supposed to exercise on the plan other than light walking. It's too low cal.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  7. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

A family member tried it ... and was very diligent ... and as the previous poster said, she also lost weight but then quickly regained the weight ...

so I was not impressed by the diet

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

SO I guess the people I am around are not using the traiditional diet, a 1k calorie diet instead of a 500 calorie and doing for longer than 3wks at a time, but not sure where they are following a protocal from.

Need to ask them I think, but am still intrigued by it.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

There is NO WAY I would use HCG and there's plenty of evidence out there against it.

FWIW, my allergist suggested the best way to reduce cholesterol without going on statins, is to adopt a plant based vegan diet. Then I saw the movie Forks Over Knives. I became vegan the very next day, have lost weight slowly and it has stayed off and I feel G R E A T....and my blood work has never been more beautiful. I am also gluten free (the same allergist suggested I go wheat free because of a cough that the pulmonologist and all his prescriptions for medications didn't do a thing to control the cough) and w/in three months that year plus long cough was GONE. Not reaching for those simple easy to grab junky carbs has also helped me with maintaining a healthier weight.

There are so many amazing vegetables, beans, lentils, fruit... to explore - and all kinds of spices too - in various ethnic markets. You don't have to go vegan, just sharing what I did in case it helps - adding veggies and new foods to what I eat has made it easy with all the variety.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

IMO, natural is the only way to go. It doesn't have to be veg, vegan, just go back to basics. Natural, non-processed as much as possible. We've made an effort to take out red meat, processed snacks and add fruits and vegetables to the plate making them the highlight of the meal, not the side attraction. We've seen weight loss and better health.

11. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Best diet in the World!!
    1. drink water
    2. eliminate junk food/ artificial sweeteners
    3. eat more veggies and fresh fruit
    4. exercise
    5 write it all down- journal

Guaranteed to work if you eat less and burn more!!

btw - caffeine intake could cause adrenal fatigue - watch your intake

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I find diet sodas make me even hungrier! If I stick to seltzer or wafted I eat less

13. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Yes, yes, and yes! As a personal trainer, let me tell you, a healthy diet with moderation and exercise, specifically weight training are the best way to lose weight. An keep it off. A fad or gimmick diet won't do it. Period. It's about making longterm lifestyle changes. If you need guidance, I believe Weight Watchers has a great program that promotes a healthy relationship with food and awareness if what you eat.

14. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

My parents, my aunt, and my uncle lost a ton of weight on the original hcg protocol written by doctor Simeon in the 70s. As a nurse I was livid that they were risking injecting Hcg derived from human urine to inject into their bodies, and eating a drastically limited 500cal per day diet. That said, they did lose the weight as describe, and also became very, very weak. My step sister did the same and lost several dress sizes. Still, in my mind it was incredibly dangerous.

Then, my daughter's wedding was coming up, I needed to lose weight as did she and her fiance (now husband.) The drops had come out, and several new companies were offering a modified plan eating 1200 cal per day, so I decided to try it along with them. There's a very small bit in some of the fine print from Dr. Simeon and a couple of manufacturers, but not all. This particular snippet is about cancer risk with Hcg. Very long story short, I had to stop the drops early, my cervical cancer returned. During treatment, I learned that a doctor and family friend of ours had her breast cancer return. Two other friends developed cancer while on the Hcg diet or shortly after completing it. Thankfully I was lucky, as was our doctor friend. I can't say that's true of everyone I've learned about having that particular complication.

I understand the interest. The desire to lose weight is incredibly powerful and motivating; enough so that I set aside my nursing and personal judgement and tried it anyway. Hindsight is 20 / 20, but I know there was a reason I avoided it the first 4 years it was popular here, and regret that I allowed myself to get suckered in.