- advertisement -

Having second thoughts about Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HelenaHandBasket, Jul 31, 2012.

1. HelenaHandBasket

HelenaHandBasket Approved members

His primary is through my ex's work. We have MassHealth Safety Net as our secondary. It covers copays at the hospitals and med copays at hospital based pharmacies.

2. Diana

Diana Approved members

Our Omnipod rep told us that she trains people not to pinch up (despite what the manual says) because she sees fewer problems that way. Not pinching has been better for us -- no more post-insertion highs.

We starting podding as a break from the Animas this summer. I HATED it at first but have come around to liking it just fine now.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter loves the pods. Even if we have a few failures here and there that frustrate her.

Our first shipment was 4 boxes (40 pods) then we get 3 boxes every 90 days. It's actually shipped a bit before the 90 day mark when insurance allows it. Once a year we get the 4 box shipment and we've never run low enough that I was panicked. They will ship you out emergency supplies if you need them or ship early etc.

We did have a few fall off in the beginning. She'd either bump them on something or too long in the pool. Now we just wrap them in the pool and we haven't had any issues. She hasn't bumped one off in forever.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

That's interesting and the first I've heard of this. I'm not sure what the correlation is between pinching up and post-insertion highs. :confused: Did she say why?

5. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

We were told to pinch up by the rep and the pump trainer at our CDE office.

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

We did not do training with our rep, so this really was a brief conversation I had with her after our first few pods didn't go well. I told her what we were doing (including pinching up) and she told me that she recommends not pinching because she sees way fewer problems that way. I took it more as a general observation than a particular solution to the post-insertion high issue (although it does seem to have fixed that problem for us -- still a relatively small sample size though)

Really, I think it just points out that different things work for different people and there is no one right way.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm intrigued by this, as one of the reasons I've been delaying Pod start is that I worry that we'll be one of those people who have post-insertion highs and that will be a hassle that we don't have with our current pump. Thanks for posting, because it is nice to have something to try if we do end up with those highs.

I'm curious what you've gotten used to that you didn't like at first, if you don't mind sharing.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Sorry - I guess I misunderstood when you said your rep trains people not to pinch up. I thought you meant your trainer. Is the rep a CDE and what information is she going on to make this recommendation? Personally I think it's kind of dangerous for a rep to be giving out this kind of information as it goes completely against what the manual says. But that's just my opinion and if it's working for you that's all that matters.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We don't always get the highs, but we do always pinch up. *shrug* It's not as tight a pinch as I would do with shots.

10. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We don't pinch up never have we always try and change the pod prior to bolusing for a meal whenever possible if not possible we simply give 1/2 u to get it started unless he is low. Works like a charm.

11. Diana

Diana Approved members

She is a "Clinical Services Manager" for Insulet, and her job does involve training people on the pod (just not me). I honestly didn't think it was a big deal -- just someone with way more experience with the pod than I have telling me what she has observed over time.

I don't know what specific problems she has seen with pinching up. I didn't ask for specifics.

12. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I was told by a rep when calling Insulet for something else that they no longer are telling people to pinch up. Instead they are recommending to push down on the nose of the cannula to prevent the "kickback" that happens when the cannula inserts. Made sense to me, and we have been doing this since that time, which had to be at least a year ago. We do still have some post insertion highs at times.

I really think that it depends on the individual and where you are putting the pod.

13. Diana

Diana Approved members

Dislikes:
    1. Not tracking meal IOB
    2. The PDM has to be really close to him to communicate with the Pod
    3. Not being able to adjust ratios/ISF in the bolus calculator itself (only an issue coming from Animas - you can't do this on MM anyway)
    4. Have to suspend the pod to adjust basals (because of the way we manage -- we adjust basals several times a day. I don't trust him to suspend/adjust/then resume)
    5. You have to keep track of the PDM

Adjustments:
    1. We figured out how to trick the pod to track all IOB. Not sure I trust him to do this reliably.
    2. I figured out that I can do all the programming of the pod wherever I am and then just bring the PDM close to him and the PDM actually communicates with the pod very quickly.
    3. I just have to get over this one.
    4. We are using temp basals by amount (not by %). Works okay for what we want to do although the beeping of the temp basal bothers him at night.
    5. Not a problem so far, but I do get nervous about accidentally leaving it at home. At least his Animas is attached to him :)

I think there is a lot of button pushing. I'm not really sure if it is more than Animas or just different. I could do the Animas menus in my sleep. I also think the buttons are kind of "mushy" feeling and not that responsive. I have super bendy/double jointed fingers so this may be a unique problem.

The bolus delivers slowly compared to the Animas (this was an issue for me on MM also). Because we adjust basals by an amount determined by the correction amount at any given time, I have to wait for the bolus to be delivered to go in and adjust the basal. I don't have a solution to this yet.

He does not like having to keep track of the PDM.

I have not noticed any problems with the Freestyle strips vs the Accuchek we normally use. All the comparisons I've done have been very close. I like having the built in meter although my son chooses not to use it. I guess not dialing up the dose is nice (although with the IOB workaround, I am dialing up the dose so I lose that advantage).

Really, I think you already know the trade-offs between MM and the pod, and I don't think you will be too surprised by anything. My son likes not having his pump/pump belt on for sports. He chose the pod for the water park but the Animas for rafting/camping. He feels much less independent with the pod because he doesn't have the confidence in programming it (the IOB workaround, the temp basals) so I think he'll choose the Animas for school.

It is a nifty little device. Overall, I am glad we got it. I think I still prefer the Animas, but I wouldn't be upset if he chooses the pod full time. And I really, really like having both (hooray for Cut the Cord program!)

14. hawkeyegirl

You have to suspend to set a temp basal, or to make a change to the basal program?

15. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

To edit the current basal program. I usually just copy the current one, fiddle around with it, and then enable the new one. I like to have the old one in case we need to go back to it.

When we do suspend, I set it for 30 minutes (the lowest amount of time). If we forget to resume, it will do it automatically.

16. hawkeyegirl

Yeah, that's not a huge deal breaker for me. It would be if you had to suspend to set a temp basal, though.

Thanks for your detailed input, Diana! We've started football, so I don't know that now is the best time to start the Pod, but we'll see.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  17. Diana

Diana Approved members

Thank you for saying this. As many times as I've done it, I hadn't really processed that I was also setting the length of time for the suspend (you don't get that option on Animas). Now I feel better!

18. Diana

Diana Approved members

Setting a temp basal is very easy on the pod. I like that it is an option right there on the home menu. I don't like that I have to go to a different option on the menu to cancel it, but now I'm getting very picky :p

19. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We've been using the pod for more than 5 years. Pods are waterproof. Our last static failure was in 2008 before the new design. Our last failure of any kind was in 2011.

We have never pinched the skin when inserting. Occaisionally insulin does leak out even though the cannula is under the skin (the pod's adhesive gets wet around the site and it's pretty obvious when that happens), but it's rare and as with any pump, sites can go bad especially if there has been a lot of physical movement around the site.

The PDM does tell you when there is an occulusion, and deactivates the pod. We have this happen a few times each year.

If you're concenred about the 90-day supply, ask for a 2-day prescription (1 pod each 2 days), then re-order when you're down to the last box.

No reason to worry at all, the pod is fantastic.

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Are you sure? I thought a suspend waited for you to resume. We use temp basals, which do resume automatically.