- advertisement -

Having a bad day, kid at school broke Ping remote

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My eighth grader was at lunch today and a exchange student grabbed his remote that was on the lunch table. The kid hit it against the table and broke the screen. It happened so fast they my son could say anything he said. Don't you think I should say something to the principal? I was thinking he needs to tell this boy to not touch his diabetic. Stuff. I already had to send an email last week for the kid knocking my son's books off and grabbing his papers. They told me' this kid is picking on many kids at the school. That kid has had detention many times. My son says he is still friends with him and doesn't want to get him deported;)

Lifescan is shipping us another remote to receive Monday. My son had a trip this weekend . I guess he will have to go without it.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, I don't think he'll be deported for this, but he has a clear problem with not understanding boundaries and he sounds like a bully. That needs to be nipped in the bud, or maybe he "should" be deported.

If he were a regular student, I'd be calling mom for the $200 to replace the remote - but kinda difficult to ask that of the host family.

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Wow, our school is off today for Veteren's day. I would not only call the principal I WOULD contact the host family so the kid's family can pay any costs involved. How else is he going to learn and be accountable? As far as I am concerned this is way more important than knocking off some books. How dare he? :mad::eek:

edited to add: So, if he is not held accountable in a BIG way and the new remote comes and he does it again, then what? And again, and again. This is a life saving device we are talking about.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would, without hesitation, call the principal. Just unacceptable, in any language.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

This kid needs to be held accountable for his own benefit - regardless of whether you need or seek restitution. You would want to know if one of your sons did something like this, wouldn't you?

6. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

I think this should be reported too... The principal and host family need to be aware that the behavior problems MUST be resolved because it has now led to the damage of personal medical equipment which will have to be replaced and cost $$'s out of your pocket. I think it would be fine to ask for the $$ or at least put a figure on it for them so they know. If you don't want to push and would rather foot the bill yourself perhaps the school or family could make him do some work (kinda like community service) to "repay" the debt... Just a thought.

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

The kid is a bully and does not respect the property of others. Pretty cut and dried to me - report it. Whether he is an exchange student or not should have no bearing on a matter like this.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would absolutely say something to the principal. No kid should be touching your child's medical equipment. If this child is indeed picking on your son, something needs to be said.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I am going in the school in the morning to talk to the principal about it. The school is having problems with him. Makes me wonder if maybe his parents sent him out of the country to get rid of him.:p

10. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

Agreed!!! :eek:

11. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

He needs to be held accountable. I would speak with the principal. AND, I would contact the Exchange company's rep and host family. The kids parents need to know what's going on and pay the costs. We are currently hosting an exchange student from Germany and she would be held accountable not only by us but also her Company. If this kid is such a problem, the company he's here with needs to know. Maybe he needs to go back to his parents and let them deal with him.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Let me ask you this - what are you going to do when he grabs your son's pump and gives him a 100 units?

What is to stop that from happening?

Report it - no question about it.

13. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Yes report it! If he goes unpunished,he'll know he can get away with it,and maybe worse!

Seems to me that if he cannot be respectful of his host school, he ought to be kicked out of the exchange program and sent back home.

14. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Ditto. I would be livid.

15. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Not only is this kid a bully, but he purposely destroyed important, expensive medical equipment. I would be livid, definitely don't let him get away with this. What if next time he decides to rip the pump out and destroy that? Thats $6000 worth and I doubt Animas will replace it under the circumstances!

16. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

Yes. I think you should say something to the principal.

17. sooz

sooz Approved members

I was thinking the same thing!

18. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Yes - this happens - a lot. There are children boarding at our girls school who's parents actually live within the city limits. It sounds as though this child has "upped the ante" on his bullying. Sometimes children want to be "friends" just to diffuse the bullying. Your responsibility is to your child, don't feel bad if this other kid is moved, you are obviously not the only family worrying about this situation.

I hope it goes well with the principal tomorrow.

19. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

It went well with the principal this morning. He asked how much the Ping meter is to replace. I said $200 but we don't have to pay because it is under warranty. He wanted to know anyway. He said they have constant problems with this student. He is from Korea and while they have had exchange students before, they were always high school students. The boy's brother went through the high school a few years ago no problem. The principal said they are rethinking the exchange students for middle schoolers. That it may not be something they do anymore. He said he can't understand how parents would want to send them away for so many years. The student lives with one of the teacher's family. The teachers has 5 children of his own , all boys. They have done all sorts of discipline. He had detention most Saturdays.
    He said they will take care of this.

20. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Good, I'm glad you talked to the principal. Hopefully this will be the end of it.
    I like that he wanted to know the cost, even though you're not paying out of pocket. That seems like a good sign to me that he's taking it very seriously.