advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have your kids ever got the 'you check too much' at the endo office speech?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Saw a different doc today. He said they were checking too much.
    mine were doing 8-12 a day.
    I must say no other NP or doc has mentioned this before at this office.

How many times a day does your kids check?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We probably do 8 - 6 as a minimum.. The Dr is good with that.. sometimes the DE makes us feel as though its too many.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We do 8-12 and have never heard that we check too much. What if you had a CGM? Than you'd have constant numbers. My dd refuses to wear one but I figure if I check a lot (often rechecking numbers after 15 minutes to see which way they are going) then maybe I can sort of mimic the effects.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We did have our doctor talk to DD about testing too much. She was testing 18-22 times a day, mostly at school, and we simply couldn't get enough strips. Plus, and this is the biggest issue, she truly wasn't getting any useful or meaningful info from her testing. She would test 3 or 4 times in a half hour and be in the 100-150 range every single time. She just liked knowing her number. The doctor really helped her understand testing times and understand good times to test, plus understand the times that testing would give highs and lows (testing 3 times right after lunch, testing lows every 5 minutes) and it made a huge difference. We requested that talk, though. Our family doc and insurance nurses always comment that she only needs to test 4 times a day, but their comments really don't matter.

Also, pre-Dexcom we tested more. Now, with the Dex, they usually test 3-4 times a day.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter's prescription is written for 8-12 times per day, and that's with CGM. I asked once if we were doing too much testing with having the CGM, and I was told that what we were doing was working and not to change a thing. I'd be concerned about a dr. saying that, quite honestly. Is it pressure from the insurance rather than concern for your child's health?

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

No speech for us

We probably checked on an average 8 times per day.
    BUT - now that we have the Dexcom, we don't test near as much. Probably down to 4 times a time - sometimes a little more depending on the numbers.

This really saves strips and cuts down on the fingersticks.

I don't think 8 - 10 times a day is that much.

If you want more frequent numbers - maybe you can look into a Dexcom? It really has helped peace of mind so we don't have to check so much.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

At one point many years ago pre-CGM my endo tried to figure out if I was testing too much by looking at my numbers to see if there was any time of day that I was testing but was never hypo. Since there was no such time, he concluded that even though it looked like a lot of testing, he couldn't really say it was too much.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

No, but there's no real way for our endo to know how much we check. He just downloads the CGM.

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

No, but the number of tests really varies depending upon the kind of day she's having. In low key, nothing special day that happens to have no lows and/or just mild highs, she tests every time she eats and with her lantus dose - so that would be probably be 5 times.

But, with summer and its busy, busy days, I've been testing a lot more often at 2:00 a.m. - so that's 6.

But add in one "feeling low" and you get at least two more tests.

Add a trip to the pool or some sports practice or other "I'm off to go exert lots of energy" event and you get at least one more test because she makes sure she's got some sugar to burn before she heads out. And during the school year, she tests after gym and before she heads home, so those are two random tests a day during the school year.

So I would say average is more than 6, but unless it's a "low" day, 10 would be on the high end.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've had the comment "you've definitely been checking a lot" comment, but it wasn't meant to be negative. Our endo/nurse take into consideration the activities she does and type of day she was having. Recently, my daughter was at camp and the nurse asked do you want an overnight check? I said yes, normally we do 10-11 and 2-3. She said OK, no problem. The doctor, who happened to be in our practice, said "really?" "You want to check her at night, every night?" My response was YEP! Especially since she is here at camp and isn't it the clinics protocol to encourage testing, especially when activity level is high? LOL, she looked at me, shrugged and walked away!

Pre-CGM we were checking anywhere between 8-12 times a day. Now she's down to about 6 (on a good day).

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Well both mine on on CGM. It was directed to my 16 more so.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I wouldn't worry a out it much. If it works for you guys and you don't feel it's excessive (which I don't ), then just keep doing what you are doing.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

on full time CGM we are only testing 4 -6 times a day, but for the most part they are well timed test considering activeties and food. We use the CGM allot to let us know about oncoming lows and do not actualy test and just treat.:rolleyes:

I can easily see us tsting 6-8 times when school is back in session and more on dance tumbling days.

She is going to camp in a weekish and I will be interested to see how many times they test and treat.

14. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

DD tests about 10-12 times per day. We got the same lecture at our last endo appt. I snapped at the Dr and said we'll be happy to test less when our insurance covers a DexCom cgm! I also said if it was your child with T1 I'm sure testing frequently would be your priority. His only come back was the Dex was not fda approved for pedi use. Frustrating!

15. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I don't recall specifically, but I guess we were told this at some point.

I'd ask the person if they have type 1, do they know what it's like to live with type 1? Then, if you are not ready to strangle her/him, calmly explain.

In general, you check before all three meals, bedtime, before driving, 15-20 min. after a low, 90 min. after correcting a high, more often if sick and/or spilling ketones. So, that's at least 8-10 a day. Add in checking before a snack or two and you're up to 10-12. And, if the meter says 280, but you feel low, you might re-wash those hands and re-check.

During her pregnancy, I'd say Marissa has been checking at least 12-15 times a day AND using her CGM.

16. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Haha! Yes, Molly got this at her last check! But mostly because her endo (also Type 1) is trying to encourage her to get a CGM. If it's working...keep doing what you are doing! :)

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Exactly and throw in Cross Country running. 16 year old teenager eats many times a day too. I am trying to get him to just bolus if the number is in range. I think he is
    just used to checking everytime he ate (prior CGM) it is a hard habit to break.
    Oh yes, and we were just at FFL. More checks there I think.:cwds:

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think 8-12 checks a day on average is admittedly on the high end for a full-time CGM wearer, but why on earth would your endo want to discourage a 16 year old from checking often if that's what he feels comfortable doing? I think many parents of 16 year olds have the opposite problem - trying to get them to do 4 checks a day is like pulling teeth.

I'd ignore your endo on this one. And if they kept at it, I'd stop giving them the meter information. They can tell what they need to know from the CGM download.

19. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would say he is 'doing better today'. Good numbers don't hurt it either. He only has got checked three times and the third time was just now because the Dex asked for a calibration and he forgot to do it this morning.

20. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

My personal opinion is that he should check when he feels like he needs to check. If he is testing for a specific reason (driving, eating, feeling "off" etc.) I don't really understand why anything is wrong with that.

And my parents would have been absolutely thrilled to get 5 tests a day out of me at 16 let alone 8-12 ;)

My current endo is of the opinion that almost everyone with type 1 should be testing 8 times a day in addition to wearing a CGM. The nurses at the office disagree with that though:rolleyes:

ETA: I wear a CGM 24/7 and test 6-8 times a day. But if I am driving a lot or playing sports that could easily hit 12-15 times.