- advertisement -

Have your children tried renting textbooks?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

It would be fantastic except for the fact 90% of my courses have course packs and are non-refundable and probably can't be bought...... It's a great idea though!

3. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

If I were in classes where I only needed to refer to the materials while in said classes, I would love that idea... BUT... nursing school... I have a feeling my first year as a nurse I will be getting even more friendly with my nursing texts than I have during nursing school...

And on the same topic of college textbooks... why are science texts always like twice as expensive as other texts or more even?! I should have been a history major... then I wouldn't be broke right now!

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

almost all my dd's books are rented, i think. we shall see soon how we return them.

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex's school offered that this semester. He looked into it but some weren't available to rent and some he thought he'd need beyond this semester. He may have rented some. I'll have to keep suggesting it to him though. It's a great idea!

6. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

Ellen,

We rented college textbooks from Chegg in the summer of 2009 for three classes. Went very well. The books arrived quickly, were correct, and were easy to return. I think you log on to the site when you're ready to return them (be sure to do so by the due date or there's a fine, I think) and print a postage-paid return label. I kept the box the books arrived in and used it for the return. Had no problem with Chegg and would recommend them.

Aside from Chegg, some college bookstores are starting to rent books to the students and I think there are a couple of other sites that rent instead of sell.

Good luck,
    Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17, dx in April

7. CeeJay

CeeJay Approved members

Yes, my daughter rented one with Chegg this semester and received it almost immediately! Haven't returned it yet (next week), but would definitely try them again.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

9. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

We rented from Chegg this semester and Matt's girlfriend used them last semester too. The fee was reasonable, the books were delivered in a timely manner and Julia had no problems returning hers the last time. We plan to use them again, especially for required general ed classes that are unrelated to his major.

10. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Starting to find this out here. Chemistry materials $300! :eek: Maybe some ability to save money with ebook. I'm not the one studying, but I find it hard to read lots of info via the laptop. I guess with all companies maybe you have an option to keep the text online with a password or download it?

Rented a textbook this semester - rec'd promptly from Chegg.

11. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Yes, my boys rent books, it's quite a savings.

I remembering purchasing my texts, some I still have, rarely look at. interesting I did buy nursing texts and a medical dictionary that I use quite often.

I am a dental hygienist.

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

You should try law books. They have to be on par with medical texts in size, weight and volume snd cost. There is no way one would carry those things around in a backpack. You would need luggage that rolls. Of course now a lot of text books you can download to an e-reader of some kind so that helps with the weight issue.