- advertisement -

Have you seen this where you live?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Teacups, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Yesterday in the restroom of an outlet mall I saw a Sharps disposal container attached to the wall next to the garbage can. Just wondering if they're around more than I realized...

2. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

I have not seen them around in IL, but when we were on vacation in Wisconsin, every restroom had one. I thought that was interesting, and really helpful if you're on shots...

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Or shooting up

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

They have them here in some restrooms in Washington but they are not in every restroom.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've seen them a lot here in Colorado, maybe over the last year and a half? I've been wondering what's up with that, if there are just so many type 2 diabetics on insulin out there? Or if there's some new OSHA regulation in effect for workers who clean public places?

6. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

This was in SC. I found it both interesting and sad. Made me wonder what things other than T1 and T2 require syringes.

7. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

I have seen one in the bathroom at the Houston Children's Museum. Otherwise, no.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

In googling, I think maybe the deal is not just that so many more people self-inject medicine these days but with blood-borne disease when a worker gets stuck it's a hazard or at least a hassle. I tend to poo poo the infection hazard since most diabetics aren't going to be carrying a blood-borne disease, but all it takes is one. So I guess if I were working and got stuck with a syringe that would mean I'd have to get tested for a bunch of stuff, probably many times since some diseases can show up later. Even if the risk were very small, I'd have to test to make sure.

I'll confess that while I usually pack out my used syringes, I've been known to cap one and throw it in the public trash. I try to pack out used test strips and alcohol wipes also, but every once in awhile I get lazy if it's a well-used trash can and I know it's gonna get buried in the middle where nobody sees it. Just read this post, though, from googling and it makes me want to be more conscientious about disposal, hate to create anxiety in anyone because I'm careless. :(

http://mylist.net/archives/mcoh-eh/2007-June/004845.html

9. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I have seen them at the Portland airport but not in any public restrooms.

10. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Yeah, probably. Sad but true...

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

When we were on shots, we would bend the needle over and recap it and toss it, if we had to get rid of them for whatever reason.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

They are in a lot of public restrooms around here.. Insulin isn't the only 'medicine' given by injection. Its a public safety thing as well.. more people will dispose of their needles properly if a sharps container is available.

13. L101418

L101418 Approved members

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Pretty common around here at the malls.

15. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

Yes I have seen them around here (Massachusetts)

16. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

That's what we do as well.

I have noticed very recently the sharps containers in public. I can't decide if they are new or if my awareness is higher now. It's sort of like when I was pregnant it seemed like EVERYONE around me was too...but in reality it was just on my brain, same thing, could be the sharps were around and it just didn't register. Or they could be new. How's that for wishy washy.

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Yeah, I do that with Type 1 overall. It seems like over and over again we run into someone with a Type 1 connection. I know the incidence is going up, but I'm thinking my awareness is way up.

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Same here.

I have seen the sharps container in the restrooms of the mall we frequent the most. It's tough to know if they were there before dx or if it's been a recent addition because we are rarely at the mall.

19. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I've seen them at many public park restrooms that are in areas most populated by homeless that are also in the drug scene - I believe it's an attempt to stop spread of disease from reusing unclean needles to get high. I don't think it's for people with medical needs, but is definitely useful for those whom do use needles medically and need a safe place to dispose of them when at a park. :)

20. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Sounds like a great idea, but I have never seen one! I'm about 90 minutes north of NYC! I usually stick them in my purse or a little bucket that holds everything in my car. When I start seeing a collection it is time to empty. I love it when I'm digging for a pen in my purse and pull out a used syringe. :)