- advertisement -

Have you gone to 'Friends for life' ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2CNC, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

My family is thinking of attending the 'Friends for Life' conference this year in Orlando. As a T1 adult, I am sure I would find it interesting. But for anyone who has brought their T1 child- can you tell me a little bit about what the children do, learn, ect?

My daughter will be 8 and she does love going to diabetes camp, but I wanted to make sure this wouldn't be overwhelming for her. She is very shy about being T1.

If you have gone to the conference, did your entire family enjoy it & have fun? What is it like going? How about non D siblings? Thanks for any info for a 'first timer':)

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I have to say attend FFL. It will be very rewarding for both of you.
    Wendy

3. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

This year will be our first FFL, but we have attended 2 regional conferences. My daughter loved them, and she was in childcare both times! She wasn't the only one with T1D and she saw lots of older kids who were loke her. It was a great experience for the entire family. I am very excited to go to FFL!

4. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

We attended FFL Toronto this past March, with our newly diagnosed 3 year old and his 8 and 9 year old brother and sister. It was a FANTASTIC experience for the whole family! Our kids were all a little unsure to start with, our T1 was in the youngest childcare by himself (not a popular idea), while our older 2 were together in another room. They had programming where they did activities, games, dancing, crafts, swimming, talking about what it's like to be a sibling of a T1, meeting with T1 athletes and got to ask them questions etc. By halfway through day 1 they were all running around the conference area with other friends they'd met, and were all happy to go rejoin their groups when the sessions recommenced. For our little T1, it was the first time he'd ever met another person with diabetes, he literally wouldn't believe at first that everyone with green bracelets like him also had diabetes. He was amazed, watching other kids test everywhere around him before meals etc. (the food is great too!). All in all - at the end of the weekend all 3 of our kids were asking when we could go to another FFL... our T1 still talks about it now!

You'll love it and so will your kids!

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

FFL is a great experiece! We went a few years ago.
    The kids are separated by age level for activities. Both my kids made friends very quickly.
    The most fantastic thing IMO was that all the food had carb counts on it. . . all of it! That gave my then tween d-kid excellent autonomy that she doesn't ever have at other non-d conferences.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

The kids have so much fun and make friends for life. They divide kids up by age and they do age appropriate activities. Plus vendors give all sorts of great things to give usually.