- advertisement -

Have you ever thought of doing this?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by lynn, Apr 23, 2009.

1. lynn

lynn Approved members

Have any of you considered moving to a different state for the future of your kids and grandkids? We live in Michigan and the economy is terrible. We know so many people out of work. My husband is now at the point at his work that he punches in to do a job and then punches out until more work comes in (hopefully more work comes in). He makes and repairs plastic injection molds. It amazes me how quickly that whole thing has left Michigan. Ten years ago he could have worked 70 hours a week and still had work to do. Businesses gave great benefit packages to lure the good guys to them. At one time he had four weeks of vacation pay, ten sick days, 100% matching 401k, wonderful insurance, great pay. Now he has five days of vacation, zero sick days, no 410k, terrible insurance, and he makes less per year than he did back then.

He is as confident as possible that he won't get laid off, but he is equally confident that his company won't make it through. He is good at what he does and has learned "extras" along the way to make him more valuable. That is why he has a job now.

Now here is the question I have been bugging myself about: Does it make sense to consider moving to a healthier state for the future job prospects of my kids, and even grandkids? Have any of you ever thought of doing that? My oldest is 19 and has no girlfriend at the moment so he would probably be game to come with us. We have seven kids and I just can't imagine them trying to support families in this state. I also think it will be a long time before Michigan is back up and strong. We were too dependent on the auto industry, and in west Michigan the office furniture industry.

I'm pretty confident my husband could find a job elsewhere. He was offered one again not too long ago. We've just never been interested in leaving family, friends, and neighbors before. Now I'm wondering.....

Has anyone done it? I really don't want to, but knowing how difficult it can be to leave, I wonder if it would be better to move with the kids now and then they could have a chance to grow roots and have family near when they are adults.

Am I even making sense? If anybody has made it this far and have any feedback I would love to hear it. Thanks.

2. candise

candise Approved members

I guess it depends on how close you are to extended family. If your kids are reallly bonded and involved on a day to day basis with grandparents and cousins- then maybe not. We have been dying to leave our city for years. The economy here is cruddy as well-Vegas (tourism). We want to leave not beacuse of this but because the moral culture here is truely horrific. We feel the same way about finding a place we call home before our kids are too old. We are not very involoved with extended family so at thias point it is just the fact that my husband makes really good money and feels loyal to his company. the minute we have a problem with his job we are moving- I swear. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. Have you used Sperlings best places to find the city that meets your desires. It is pretty cool.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

But what about the roots they have now? And there's no guarantee they'll stay in the state you move to. I could understand moving to a place you think you'll be able to provide for them better now, and for their more immediate future (i.e. college), but kids grow up and move on. That's what they're supposed to do.

ETA: What states do you have in mind? If you have some inside scoop on their future economy, I'd like to know! ;)

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

I guess what I am thinking is that it is hard to leave family and friends so if we were to move and they developed friendships and had all of their siblings there, as adults, then they would not have to make the hard decision to leave. I totally understand that sometimes kids grow up and leave and, though I wouldn't wish them to leave, I certainly would understand. I am thinking more about setting them up to be, hopefully, in a better position to head into adulthood.

5. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

We did that 3 years ago, and are ready to turn around and go home. We will miss the friends we have made here, and will loose everything we have invested in this house, but really need to be closer to our families. We feel very isolated and there is a completely different culture in the East Coast that we aren't comfortable with.

6. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We are also in MI and have considered leaving. The only reason we have stayed is that dh doesn't really want to leave his dad. I understand this completely. We are self employed and the prospect of moving doesn't mean our life would get any easier as we would basically have to start our business over. Then again, it is so slow right now, it probably wouldn't be any different!

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I don't know if this helps or not, but a lot of families are moving to this area to get work from all over! So you're not the only one contemplating this :D. I've heard this several times over the radio, because right now Houston is booming, and the only jobs getting cut are the larger corporations that aren't based here.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My sister and you husband (no ex-h) moved to NC when they first got married because the construction business was huge down there (he does concrete).. he gets paid a decent amount an the cost of living is cheaper.. I think a lot of people move to where the work is for a better life.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think anytime you live in a state where the entire economy is so based around one thing you're going to have trouble. In MI it's all manufacturing of some type. So when those jobs go away then the whole state is in trouble.

I think if you're bothered about the job situation, then is it possible to maybe get more schooling so that you can expand your horizons in other directions, so if you stay you may find work but more importantly, if you leave you'll find work. Manufacturing jobs are drying up all over the country. So unless you have something else, other skills, then you're going to wind up in the same situation.

10. Eve

Eve Approved members

It's a very hard choice to make. I know the only time I want to move somewhere else is when winter is coming. I hate winter!

Whatever choice you do make, I wish you luck and happiness.

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We moved out of Michigan about a year and a half ago. DH lost his job there due to the economy -- he did try to get a job in MI, but we KNEW that if we stayed, even if he got a job there, he could lose it in an instant because of the economy.

So he ended up getting his DREAM job in IL and it's been the best move we've ever made. Of course we miss family and friends in MI, but it's only a 2-3 hour drive from where we are now. And we've made NEW friends!!! Even though we weren't unhappy with the school there, we are SO happy with the schools now. I know my kids are getting a FAR better education then they would have in MI.

There's nothing in life you can count on, even if you move things could be bad. But I do feel your pain about Michigan. I don't think anyone can understand it unless you live there and see it for yourself. It's just awful there in the economy :(