- advertisement -

Have you done the glucose meter/ soda test?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AmyMCGS, Nov 13, 2011.

1. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I'd like to use this as a demo tomorrow for a presentation to my nursing home residents on World Diabetes Day. I was thinking I could use it in the part where I'm talking about picking healthy choices from the vending machines.

I've never done it, though, just heard of it, and Google hasn't brought me any specifics. I know I test a diet and a regular soda using the glucose meter, but it there more to it?

Can anyone explain how it works or point me to a good source? Thanks!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I always get an error on my meter when I try, so i've never been successful

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

It only works with certain meters. I've only gotten error messages with Freestyle. Not sure if I have ever tried it with One Touch.

4. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Make sure your soda is not cold, room temp is best. If your in a restaurant doing this and you have soda/ice, place some soda on the table, let it set for a few then test.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We did this at camp this weekend with fruits - squeezing juice onto the strip. The kids were amazed.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We do this.... on diet you'll probably get a LO and on regular you'll get a really high number or a HI... depending on your meter. We always use a straw or a spoon to put a drop of liquid on, don't stick the whole strip into the soda, it doesn't like that. ;)

7. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

we stick the strip of a accu-chek straight in and it comes up with 0.1 or similar for diet soda and HIGH for non diet - has been very useful.

8. timsma

timsma Approved members

Or, you could forgo the meter and just buy some diastix and dip them in the soda or anything really, and let them see the color change if there is any sugar in the items you're testing. We regularly use the diastix to test to be sure Tim's pop is diet when we're at restaurants. You can pick up a vial of 50 for about 10 bucks at most drug stores, over the counter.

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

It works fine with OneTouch as long as your sample isn't too cold.. I usually dip a finger in and then let it sit for a few seconds before letting the strip suck it up... that works fine. If you try to suck it into the strip right from the drink it doesn't work.

Diet always either reads as an error 4 or low (<20mg/dL). Regular will read high.

10. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

I do it all the time with our freestyle lite. I pull his straw out of his drink to drip one drop of it on my finger. Then, I test it just like a drop of blood. Diet is always LO, regular is always HI. Good luck! -Allison