- advertisement -

Have you changed your family's eating habits?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There are other options out there. For a long time, NPH was the only option.

I would investigate getting off this insulin. I don't know your circumstances, but my son felt better when off NPH.

2. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I inject with a syringe humulin N & R and diabetes does not control or run my life. I don't go low too often.

When I was younger, as in a child, we ate at a specific time because of my father's work schedule and school. When I was in elementary school, we didn't ask for a specific lunch time, we took the time my class had. However the cooks did weigh my food and give me an afternoon snack. The middle school cooks didn't do that, so I had to figure out how much food to have. As I grew older, and had more insulin injections, I would have them depending upon when I ate. The later I ate, the later my injections.

Also growing up, if I wanted to have a Dairy Queen, cake at a birthday party, I'd have a little more insulin. I had a doctor who taught me that if I had more food than my diet was for, I needed to have more insulin, especially is the foods were high in sugar or in carbohydrates.

I think a lot of type 1's from the middle 60's and before do find how you parents are doing things very different than our parents did it or how they did it. I've learned so much reading what you parents and even the teens are doing. It's a shame your father-in-law can't talk with you about his experiences as a diabetic. He could teach your daughter a lot, just as she could teach him.

3. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

we've always eaten very naturally and Ella's D hasn't changed that. I've been a vegetarian since I was in my teens and still am, so my family very rarely, if ever, eats meat. We have kiddos with lots of food allergies and sensitivities, so it's important to us to avoid those allergens as well as most processed foods (I hate food dyes and artificial flavors). We eat at home almost every night, and the recent addition of Celiac in our home has made this even more important.
    That said, we're not perfect. we love sweets and my kids would make cookies every day if I let them. Ella does eat lots of carby-food, simply because she doesn't eat meat and she's a kid! She covers all the carbs she eats, so I don't see a problem with it :)

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I've bookmarked that. I'd like to try it out. I love pizza, but not to good when you're trying to lose weight.

5. Phyllis

Phyllis Approved members

Whole grain breads that are high in fiber do not spike blood glucose like white bread. There are so many brands that there is bound to be a healthy and tasty bread. Be careful to read the ingredient label though the first ingredient should be whole wheat or whole grain of some sort. Many breads that are label whole wheat have bleached flour as the first ingredient and the body converts the processed flour to glucose very quickly. Our grandson liked the 15 grain Pepperidge Farm Bread and ate it nearly every day with a meat and cheese filling. To balance the meal he had yogurt sweetened with apartame and applesauce sweetened with aspartame/splenda. Because his dairy was met with yogurt and cheese we packed his favorite soda-diet mountain dew as a treat.

6. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

A cousin of mine is on weight watchers and I got that recipe from her :) I think that we can change the ingredients in our food sometimes (to make it easier on our bgl's and weight too I guess) and have less carbs/fat and still enjoy it too. I'm not a big lover of salami, pepperoni, etc on pizza (or anytime) so only meat I usually have on pizza is ham, bacon or chicken, and I usually only have pizza a couple of times a year as I'm not that fond of it, but I did enjoy the cauliflower version.

We moved a couple of months ago and there is a mango tree in our front yard. I HATE mango but I thought if I could find a recipe to make something with them I would probably eat it that way so I looked for a mango bread recipe. A slice has 33 carbs but I used splenda in it and reduced the carbs in a slice to 15 :p . . .and I LOVE the bread.

7. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Mmm that sounds good! I love mango, but my daughter is allergic so we don't eat it lol

8. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I think that a diabetic should eat healthy in the same way EVERYONE should eat healthy... no one should eat fast food for every meal, everyone should have veggies and all that.

that said there are foods I no longer eat, white rice, full fat ice cream, pasta (unless its dreams field) but that's because for me, these foods arn't worth the trouble...