- advertisement -

Have to switch insurance - Booooooo

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by TEXSONMOM, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

YUK! Looks like we are switching family health insurance in January. I was laid off last year but kept my son on Cobra as the insurance was very good and had approved pump supplies, CGMS and was a PPO with the all of doctors covered. It is fixin to run out and they will not convert to independent coverage so we will have to go over to my husbands insurance which is HMO/specialty care. My insurance at my new job is just so so and very expensive for dependents. (aetna and I have read all the horror stories on the board)

Open enrollment is this month and I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to prepare for getting them to cover his prescriptions, pump supplies etc.? The new insurance will go into effect January 1st but I want to plan ahead.

Thanks for your advise

2. jane1218

jane1218 Approved members

Speak to your HR person and call Aetna, actually my coverage has been excellent. We finally got coverage for cgms. I pay $5 per 90 day supply of insulin and $0 copay for pump supplies including strips, which are automatically sent from minimed every three months. I have to get a yearly referal for the endo, but it is no big deal, the pediatrician does it for me every fall for 99 visits for the calendar year. I never have to submit bills and wait for reimbursment. Once my son was hurt on vacation and had to pay upfront for treatment, Aetna reimbursed right away for everything but $5. I think it is worth looking into.