- advertisement -

Have I been doing this wrong

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mouchakkaa, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

We have been having troubles with my daughter's bg lately. I finally broke down and called the doctor for help. During the conversation he said that I should not be doing corrections at night unless I give her food. We have always given corrections during the night. I believe this is one of the ways to keep a reasonable A1C. Night time can go either way for us, she could be pretty steady for the night or up and down. It really depends on the food eaten during the day. I don't think I could sleep knowing she is riding in the 200's without correcting that. What are the thoughts on no corrections during the night.

2. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We frequently correct during the night. And sometimes multiple times since we tend to be cautious since he is more sensitive to inuslin at night.

And our corrections go both ways. Sometimes it is insulin and sometimes he needs carbs.

Every day (night) is a new challenge LOL

3. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

We are very new to this - DS was just diagnosed on 3/15/10. Our endo told us to only correct at meal times. After all of the posts I have read about how common night time lows are, and how dangerous they can be (poor Trent comes to mind, here) I would NEVER correct during the night. I would rather 200 (which my DS often has been since we are still adjusting doses) than 50....of course, this is my opinion. I am eager to hear what others think.

Good luck!

4. rare

rare Approved members

This is just me so I can't say whether something is wrong or right, but I used to correct at night. T never had problems with nighttime hypos until he hit puberty so I'd correct if necessary knowing he wouldn't be low in the morning when waking. These days I won't because it's like tossing a coin on the outcome.

5. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

one other thing - I WOULD correct a low - if my son was under 100 at night, I would give him juice or something to bring his # up...

6. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

It seems that my overnight corrections backfire on me most of the time (she will invariably go low), so I don't do any correcting unless she is REALLY high - like upper 200's or more. And the nights I think she's good to go, she'll hover over 200 all night long.

But, like everything else with this disease, no two nights are ever the same. :(

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yes exactly:) Always correct low blood sugars with carbs.

As far as highs at night I have always been very cautious when giving insulin at night. Another thing to take into account is when the last food was eaten and what type it was. If the high is from a fat spike due to say pizza I wouldnt want to give too much insulin as the blood sugar may come down on its own.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We correct anything over 130 at night.

9. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I correct at night but my son has had D for over 4 years and he is not honeymooning. That means he makes NONE of his own insulin.

People who are newly diagnosed with D often go through a honeymoon period where their body still makes SOME insulin. It can vary from being quite a bit to only a little and it fades over time. Some people can honeymoon for up to two years, sometimes even longer.

What this means is that those newly diagnosed with D often have highs that come down on their own. This can happen easily happen at night because there is no more carbs coming in. So with a honeymooning child you have to be VERY careful about correcting highs, especially at night when they might not get checked again until morning. Setting alarms to get up and check in the night is great, but they can be slept through.

If I correct Jacob at night, I still set an alarm to check again in two hours and I hope that my wife and I don't sleep through it, but sometimes we do, and it's scary.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

the only reason you'd need food is if the correction factor was really high, so if you needed a 1/4u to bring her down from the 200, but it may bring her down to far, a little bit of food will help.. we had to do this when Kaylee was on injections because her ISF was over 400.. so to give a small correction was even to much, so we would give some food so she wouldn't go low.

11. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Ditto, unless we've had issues with dropping blood sugars in previous nights or if there's any other reason to be a little more conservative.

12. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I correct anything over 150 at night. We have a terrible problem with dawn phenomenon and I find if I don't correct her that she sky rockets in the early am.

I know when you are new that it is scary to correct because you don't want them to go low, but high blood sugars over long periods of time is what lead to the complications of diabetes so I don't want them either. We don't have very many winning days with this disease, but I try.

13. Denise

Denise Approved members

this is a YDMV thing..we don't correct anything under 190 at bedtime. Even with messing w/ basals, we seem to have too big of a drop no matter what we do..so we try to leave her be if she's under 200

14. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We are fairly new as well. We were told only to correct at meals. Our daughter's ISF is still pretty high.

15. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I was fearful of correcting highs at night initially too. While she was honeymooning she usually ended up waking up in the 80-100 range on her own without any help. Once that stopped happening, I had to become more comfortable with night corrections because I don't want her spending long periods of time with high bg.

If you are comfortable with what you are doing and checking after corrections at night, then it's up to you whether to follow your doctor's advice or not.

16. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

We only started correcting at night when we started pumping. While on Lantus/Novolog we did not correct but we were honeymooning then, if he takes a pump break now we will correct if over 180.

17. Droz

Droz Approved members

Corrections durring the night are very individual. If your child drops quickly, if they are or they pump or shots. I personally do not correct my son if he is 200 or below, but that may not be the same for others. Calculate at night how much they go down for one unit durring the night with no food after two hours. If the number is at a target number or lower you may want to lessen the amount of insulin. if it is higher then it is not enough. Ask your doctor to be for sure and let them know your results. Children are all different and their activity level durring the day can effect how fast they drop at night also. There are a lot of different things to take into consideration when correcting at bedtime.

18. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Now that we have CGMS, we correct more aggressively at night. Carson is having some basal issues at night and last night I had to give him 3.5 units over the course of the night and he still woke up at 190. If I wouldn't have corrected, he likely would have stayed in the 400-500 range and had ketones by the morning. Even thought lows at night are dangerous, highs can be dangerous, too, if not treated.

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

sometimes I sleep nicely when he's riding at 200 all night. Shh...don't tell anyone I said that.

Most of the time I will correct anything over 180 or so but we've historically had a lot of trouble with night time corrections. They either flat out don't work or they hit too hard. no clue why. So I"m more conservative.

But, no, you're not doing anything wrong. :)

20. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I correct a high at night, and then I check BG at 1.5 hours and 3 hours after the correction. If needed, I check in between as well. A nighttime correction means very little sleep for me.