- advertisement -

Hate when people say dumb things...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maciasfamily, Apr 16, 2012.

1. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

"You gave him too much sugar, that's why he has diabetes"

"You seem to eat a healthy diet, what have you been feeding him that he got diabetes"

Seriously, can people do research before they open their mouths? Some friends of ours warned us we'd get these dumb comments, but yesterday was the first time I've had someone tell it to me directly.

Of course, with a smile I responded and set them straight!

So what have you heard was the reason your child has diabetes? :D

2. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

My favorite is "Your other kids are fine. You must not be watching what he eats."

3. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

This frustrates me a whole lot too. However, I hate to admit that before dd developed diabetes, I was one of those dumb people too. I only had knowledge of type 2 and didn't even know what type 1 was!!! I knew some diabetics needed insulin and some didn't but that was the extend of my knowledge. Needless to say, when dd got diagnosed I was in shock while learning how to care for D.

4. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

I keep telling myself that, 6 mos ago I knew nothing about type 1, so I try to be patient. When a random person says "oh, its juvenile diabetes, he'll grow out of it, right?" that is one thing. But when we had a sub school nurse in and I asked her " do you know about type 1" and she looked at me like I was crazy and said " of course, Im a nurse" but then upon heariing my son's BG pre lunch was 120ish said "well, thats good, he doesnt need insulin" that is another. :cwds:

5. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

My favorite dumb statement is: You can't be a type 1 diabetic because that's Juvenile onset and you're an adult. You have type 2. I always ask, when does a type 1 become a type 2? Most don't respond. A few have said, 18 of course!!!

When I was diagnosed, there weren't as many diabetics around. And if you were a type 2, most often it wasn't because of your weight. It was because of your age and your islet were just wearing out. When I learned about type 2's I was outraged. There were fake diabetics out there. They didn't have to have shots like I did. How could they be a diabetic? I was furious. If anyone told me they were a diabetic like me, and they said they were a type 2, I'd say you're a fake diabetic because you either take a pill or control it with diet. To me, there was only one type of diabetic, type 1.

6. ashtensmom

If only it were true, turn into type 2 at 18!!! That as good as a cure in my opinion:cwds:

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

You will find that in time you will take these "well meaning" :rolleyes: comments with a grain of salt. That's not to say that it still doesn't irk me from time to time, but for the most part I just let it roll off my back. These people always seem to think they know it all. ;)

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

When these things happen, I often wonder how many times I've said something well-meaning but actually insensitive or ignorant to a parent of a child with autism, asthma, serious food allergies, cancer...etc. Then, I just take a breath, smile, and educate them!

Until we walk in someone else's shoes, we can all be pretty dumb!;)

9. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Someone told my 12 year old she doesn't look diabetic, she just said thanks:p

10. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Yep, I wonder how many times I have done this also.:eek: and not even know I've done it

11. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I got those comments also. We were walking and I told my friend that Taylor had diabetes and she looked at me and asked me what I feed her. Then she proceded to tell me that I can cure it with herbs and the kicker was because I immunized her I caused her to get diabetes.
    My SIL said when they ask what you feed them to get diabetes just look at them and say I fed them chicken, potatoes and carrots at the same time and thats what caused them to get it. But that is my SIL for ya.

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Because Amanda is an identical twin, the most common question/comment is "And Chloe doesn't have it?" I guess it's really not that strange a question but on the other hand they are two individual people. I doubt we'd get the same question if it was cancer.

As previous posters have said, it gets easier to let these questions roll of your back as time goes by.

I think the reason I find it most annoying is the underlying theme that it had to be something we did or didn't do that caused our cwd to get this. :cwds:

13. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Yes, I think this is the main problem.

I agree with PP who mentioned times we said something in ignorance, and I can only agree with that.

I guess the biggest things is, I knew this person was going to be the one to say it! My hubby & I had commented that she was going to say something dumb, and sure enough this is the first time we've seen her since dx and she made this comment.

Our children are also adopted, so this makes it even bigger...they feel it's because he was in the 'system' that caused this to happen...or 'that's what you get for adopting him' kind of attitude. So combined with T1, it just irks the heck out of me!

But we have tons of other friends who have been very supportive, even if they didn't understand it at first either.

14. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My most favorite...

"Oh, she has one of those (a pump). So she's a bad diabetic?"

Where to even begin... :rolleyes:

15. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I had an attorney I work with ask if my son was "chubby" when she first learned of his diagnosis. First of all...that's just plain rude. Secondly, it's stupid.

I also get sick of people pushing stuff at me because it is "sugar-free." However, that doesn't bother as much as comments because most of the people pushing the "sugar-free" stuff made it especially for my son and they are totally well-meaning!

16. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Totally agree!

17. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

I'd bet there are a lot of T2 diabetics that would disagree with you...:confused:

Christine

18. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

There is this one nurse that I work with, who annoys me with her well meaning comments. For instance she told me about a boy on her son's basketball team that was "cured" by his mom stopping feeding him wheat or processed foods. She thought I should try that. With all of the kids that have celiac, if that was the cure I think someone else would have stumbled across it!

19. ashtensmom

Sorry, another example of "not knowing unless you have walked in someone else's shoes". However, "IF" (and that's a hypothetical "if") dd could control her diabetes with only pills, diet and exercise, i would take that over type 1 any day!

20. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

There are actually a lot of T2 diabetics who need insulin to control their diabetes. For many, unfortunately, T2 diabetes is more complicated than "only pills, diet, and exercise". Just ask all the T2 diabetics who have gone blind, lost feet or legs, or had heart attacks or strokes! Not because they didn't "pop their one little pill". T2 is not the equivalent of a cure for T1. The grass isn't always greener on the other side....

Christine

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012