- advertisement -

Has your child ever mentioned "lights in my eyes"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by My_Dana, Jul 13, 2006.

1. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Dana has been dx''d since 4-20-2006.

Before then she had complained (only at bedtime) about these strange lights in her eyes. Probably something like when you squeeze your eye closed tightly in the dark.

Looking back I'm thinking it is somehow ralated to her BG level. Maybe due to her being quite high and us not knowing? She did used to eat loads before bed (and not allows good stuff..).

After the dx'd, she hadn't mentioned the lights for weeks. Her numbers overall have been excellent as she is still producing much of her own insulin.
    (only on 1.5 units per day).

Now in the last couple of weeks they seem to be back. Again, only at night.

Last night she saw them so I checked her BG again to see she was only at 147. The last time about a week ago it was in the 130's. Doesn't seem to high to me for weird eye things. But maybe she is sensitive in the 130-150 range?

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Thanks,
    Dana's dad, Ed
    dx'd 4-20-2006

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

My son is just 4 yrs old but no eye complaints along those lines.

I just wanted to add that I get an odd thing called "visual migraines" at times (I can't find a trigger) that affect my vision - in fact I lose part of it for a short time and I get very sensitive to light afterwards. I don't usually get a headache with it however, unlike some. I'm not diabetic however. I've talked to my doctors about it and none think it is a problem.

I think it couldn't hurt to take her to an eye doctor just to check it out.:)

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ed,
    Has your endo suggested your daughter see a pediatric opthomologist yet? They do a pretty detailed exam. My daughter never complained of what your child is experiencing, but I'm curious. I hope this isn't too troublesome for her.

Best of luck.

4. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Thanks...

Wendyc,

We were planning to take Dana for an eye exam in the next few weeks regardless. I will mention it to him.

I don't think it is anything serious, but you can never be too careful.

Thanks for the reply.:)

Ed

5. pookas

pookas Approved members

My non=D son, Colby, gets Ocular Migraines. He gets lights and crazy things going on w/ his eyes.. Does it ever develop into a headache? Maybe you could check w/ a Ped. Opthamologist or Ped. Neurologist? It might have nothing to do w/ D, or it could. Explore your options.

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 7 yrs, migraines

6. zet

zet Approved members

MIne used to say his eyes hurt. Hasn't said a word about them since being diagnosed in May of this year.

7. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

SPOTS When Low

One of my son's signs of a low is spots which could be also called lights... It could be that your child has experienced a low and rebounded... New Diabetics rebound faster the people who have had it a while.