- advertisement -

has anyone...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Haleysmom2214, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

ever heard of switching from the pump after 2 years back to shots? My 4 almost 5 year old has been on the pump sents aug 2006. She was on the quick set up until like 2 weeks ago it just was giving crazy numbers. Now she is on the silohette (spell) and it isnt doing any better. I have changed basels and c:i . Nothing, I gave her a shot for a 400 and in 2 hours she was 106. I havent seen one of those in months. I have changed it. I am fed up. She is suppose to start pre school tomorrow and I cant she is not normal (what ever that is) What do you all think. Thank you!

2. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I'm new and my DD has not pumped yet, but I have read about people taking a break from pumping. So there is no reason you have to stay on it if you don't want to.

However, the group here might have some great ideas and suggestions for you on ways to make the pump work better for you. If that is what you really want.

Have you tried a needle vs. a cannula? That seems to be one thing that comes up often.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have an IRL diabetic friend who was on the pump for about eight years and had absorption problems, tried a whole bunch of infusion sets and sites, and after a few months switched to Lantus/Log. It's been a few months and she's doing much better.

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Many people have had success using a a needle set (Sure-T) when nothing else worked. It might be worth a try if you would prefer to keep pumping. If not, then theres no reason you can't go back to MDI for awhile. You can always try again in the future.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

From what you have said, there seems to be a problem with insulin delivery. While there is nothing wrong with going back to shots, I am not sure you have investigated the problem enough.

The first thought that comes to mind is that something is wrong with the pump. Most times sites don't just suddenly stop working. The sites may be fine, but aren't getting insulin from the pump.

I would call the pump company for assistance in trouble shooting the problem. They may send you a new pump to try.

6. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

I dont see a reason why not.. SPecially since i am a true blue beliver that this has to be there choice, of course the parents have some say, but when it comes down to it, its there body.., even at 4-5 they know what they want or dont want.. I also agree that something is off. Id call the pump company adn see what they have to say.. May i ask have you dont basal testing? IF not there is a great book called smart pumping that is wonderful at helping with trouble shooting things like this.. I would also look into that.. IT tells you so much information... Also if you all want to stay pumping but are thinking going back to shots, look into the unteathered method.. YOu use lantus instead of basals, SO it will have no basal delivery and you do lantus shots for te long term, and only plug in for food/blood sugar corrections.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's not uncommon. Have you checked in with your endo? Maybe she's going through a growth spurt which is resulting in hi's?

OT: My brother lived in Plainfield up until last Nov! Off of Bob White.

8. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Are you using different parts of her body for the sites? She looks so little so I'm sure that its not easy to find lots of "real estate" but do you think that maybe she could have developed some scar tissue that could be blocking absorbtion where you are placing sites?

Julie (mom to Jessica 12 and Erin 10 dx 2-9-07 and pumping M522 4-9-08)

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

this was my first thought too. Make sure that your pump isn't busted. It might be something that simple.

Otherwise, there's nothign wrong with going back to shots if it works better for your family and your child. Don't let anyone tell you that it's wrong to go back. :)

10. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

I think you should do whatever works best for you!

We had issues with crazy numbers like this and I found that I wasn't getting the cap from the tubing to the reservior on tight enough. If it wiggles it seems to effect how the insulin goes into the tubing. One bolus it may not give enough and the next bolus gets too much. One more crazy D thing.