- advertisement -

Has anyone used an electric turkey roaster?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by joy orz, Nov 19, 2011.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

So on recommendation from Lil Man's Mom, we got an electric turkey roaster.

I have a tinsy oven and couldn't fit anything but the turkey in it, so she suggested we get one. Any one else use one before?

Anyone have any tips? I haven't ever had luck with crock pots, so electronic cookers and I don't usually mix. I am curious to see how Thanksgiving will turn out.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yes, we have one and love it! DH is the main user, but he uses it to cook turkey, and I've used it for a turkey myself. We also use it for roast and potatoes, etc. It doesn't heat up the kitchen but does a great job of cooking.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

What brands are good? I was thinking of this myself since our oven is small - literally the same oven that came with the house when it was built in the 1950's!

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

We have an infrared gas turkey "frier" and I love it but I think it might be different than what you are referring to. All it really does is roast a turkey somewhat faster than oven roasting and it gives it a crisp skin.

5. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I have an Oster brand electric roasting pan - I used it for the first time last year on a 22lb turkey and it was utterly amazing. The turkey browned like in a traditional oven and the great thing, once i realized it, was that it cooked the turkey faster than my oven did. You can make the gravy right in the pan and mine came with a turkey rack to easily lift the turkey out. I don't think i'll ever go back to cooking the turkey in the oven. It leaves the oven free to cook all the other things that need to be baked like Grandma Doni's famous dinner rolls! :)

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yes I have used one of those electric roasters that sits on the counter and has a lid. It worked very well and faster than the regular oven. The one drawback was that there was too much moisture inside and the turkey had moisture dripping on it. We cooked two turkeys one year; one in the roaster and one in the regular oven and there was no noticeable difference in taste.

I also have one of those Ron P. rotisserie ovens. It can cook a small turkey and they turn out really really good. Chicken and lamb turn out even better. I did not expect good results when I got it as a gift but I have been happily surprised.

Overall I prefer the regular oven for a large turkey. Gas is supposed to be better but honestly I don't notice a difference between gas and electric.

7. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We use this too and I swear it makes the best turkey ever!

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My question is, how easy is it to clean up? Does it have a removable insert like a crock pot so you can really get in and scrub it, or is it like an electric fry pan where it can't be immersed in water?

9. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Yes, it has an insert you are able to take out and soak - so easy clean up.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Macys had them on sale for $29.99 yesterday. I was tempted!

11. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

I have a Rival 18 quart,and LOVE it..I do soups and all kinds of stuff in it.
    Tonight I'm putting my turkey in at about 200 and cooking all night,and by morning it's totally finished!!Easy clean up,too.:D