- advertisement -

Has anyone tried contact detach? Can you feel them when they're inserted?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Jun 3, 2013.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

My daughter's currently using the inset 30s for her ping which are perfect and I have no complaints really, but after reading someone else's post about contact detach in kindergarten, I started to think that a steel needle might be smarter since they can't kink like the flexible cannula.

My worry is that the cannula might makes it way out and just be sitting on top of her body inside the plastic window and no one will know until she goes to the nurse to be tested.

I'm going to call animas today to ask for a sample so that I can actually wear it to see how it feels. My daughter would primarily be wearing it on her upper butt area, it's where she has the most fat on her body.

If your child uses the contact detach, what length do they need? I don't want my daughter to feel it so I was going to ask for the 6mm which I believe is the shortest they offer. (She's tiny and skinny) Also, where do they wear it "the most" since kids seem to have their favorite spots for the insertion lol

If we decide to do this for school, we plan on using both unless one proves to be far superior to the other.

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We use Sure-Ts, which are the Medtronic equivalent. They are 6mm. I like knowing that when it's in, it's in. We've had one possible site failure in 2 years, and we've had two come out, so not so bad for a little guy. K used to get upset about the insertion, but now he admits that it doesn't hurt (though every once in a while, we have an "ouchie" site change that sets him back a bit). I think he has quite a high pain threshold, though!

We have used arms and legs, but he didn't like them on his legs and threading the tubing up his back and along his arm is just annoying! I am too much of a wimp to use his tummy, so we generally just move around his tush (alternating with the CGM!). He's fallen straight back on it multiple times, and it never seems to bother him. Occasionally he will catch it while pulling pants on and complain a bit (the more it is taped down, the better), but in general it is problem-free for us.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I sometimes use Sure-ts which are the same as Contact Detach (just the Medtronic type).

6 mm is probably the best length for a skinny kid. That is what I use as well.

I would suggest taping over the part that has the needle. I find the more secure it is, the less you feel it. I use opsite flexifix (usually cheapest to order on amazon) and just place a 1.5 by 1.5 inch piece over it and it holds securely for as long as needed.

Here is a pic of how I tape it:

[​IMG]

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

I use the contact detach. They hurt as much as every other site: most times it doesn't hurt at all, but on rare occasion, you nick a nerve or something during insertion.

I agree with putting tape over the site. I use hypafix (you can get a roll through amazon). I use my arms and thighs with the 6mm cannula.

I think what bothers people about the steel cannula sites is that it's a manual insertion and that it's a piece of metal. It's really no a problem at all.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

This has always been my experience as well. 99% of the time you can't feel them, occasionally you get a sensitive/painful site just like you can with any other kind of set - I probably had more problems hitting nerves with the 30˚ sets than I've ever had with metal. I would say I have maybe one every other month that I end up pulling because it's bothering me - which really isn't very many.

I find inserting them really easy, even without an inserter. I poke around lightly to find a less "pokey" feeling place to insert it, then just tap it in really quickly. I almost never feel anything at all.

6. missmakaliasmomma

I definitely appreciate all the input! My main concern that it would hurt is because during our pre pump class I actually wore a steel needle set and I felt it every time I touched it. That's what made me want to use flexible cannulas for my daughter, but it might have just been that specific inset or maybe it was too long of a needle (it was in my arm)

I wasn't planning on using an inserter... am I right thinking that these ones you basically pinch the skin and stick it in? Basically like a regular needle?

I'm actually planning on getting the opsite flexifix (sp? lol) because there was one time I almost pulled her whole site out just trying to change her into her pjs and her pants caught it and ripped almost half of it out. I don't want that happening again. Right now we're using medical tape which I found out sucks in the water so that's why we have to try something else.

I did call to request a sample and it will be sent with our next regular supply of insets so we will see!!

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I like flexifix but lots of people like hypafix too. Honestly hypafix is so cheap and versatile that it's not a bad idea to have around anyways.. I use it all the time for keeping bandaids on my kids for more than 5 minutes :)

You can pinch up the skin and put them in like a shot, most of the place I put them I can't reach with both hands, which is why I use the method I do. It's a little different putting them on yourself vs having someone do it for you.

8. mocha

mocha Approved members

Yep. Just pinch up skin and put it straight in. :)

9. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

That was me

We use the 6mm and my daughter is super skinny. She is afraid of the insertion devices (I have no idea why) so these are what she prefers. She claims the other animas' sets hurt when I insert them.

I live that we never get a kinked cannula and I honestly think they easier too teach others to use. You just prime until drips and stick it in. We use her rear end and back of her arms.

Good Luck

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We used the Rapid-D set for a while, it's steel and very similar. Inserting it is like slamming in a thumb tack. I did it, but I didn't like doing it. I've always tested her sets and sensors on myself and DH before inserting into DD. I recall the steel set being more of a presence, especially if bumped into. Since dd used her backside she eventually complained that it hurt when on the slide and swinging so we switched to the inset (the straight set) and lived happily ever after. ;)

She's been pumping for 8 years and maybe we've had 3 bent canulas - far far more often bg has gone high because we forgot to change the site and it went into day 4 or 5 or she was twirling her pump and "ooops" half pulled it out. People very often say a "crimped" canula when usually it's some form of user error. The non-steel sets are very reliable.

11. missmakaliasmomma

I definitely do like her inset 30s. They're very easy to do, my daughter's not afraid of them like she was her comfort sets (which we all hated and it was very stressful to do those) We haven't had any issues and I don't really think we will, I'm just kinda nervous when she goes to kindergarten that something will happen and nobody will know for awhile.

12. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Our son has been using the contact-detach sure-t's since about six months into pumping. He was getting kinked sites frequently and for him it was horrible as he is very insulin sensitive - his BG would sky rocket fast and he developed ketones very quickly. He also developed big "pump bumps" making us (his endo and us parents) think that he was becoming sensitive if not allergic to the material it is made of.
    Now with the sure-t's it is very rare for him to have a site hurt post the initial poke. We don't pinch the skin when we insert, just poke. He uses his hiney and thighs exclusively. His cgm goes on his hiney and arms. We don't put anything on his skin before to increase stickiness, but in order to reduce friction over the plastic outer portion of the steel (ie underwear band pulling on it when pulling pants on/off) we put a waterproof bandaid over that part. you know the cute tattoo ones from target :)
    He hasn't ever had a site pulled out with the sure-t's. The more difficult part for us is removing them. We found you have to pull the sticky portion around the needle off first then just lift straight out, if you pull it off like a bandaid it causes more skin damage.
    I think that's it. For us it is just peace of mind, knowing that the least likely issue with high BG is a kinked cannula but something else. HTH

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

All I can say is I tried one and I liked it a lot.

It was very comfortable wearing it.

I insert silhouettes manually with no issue at all. So I am probably not the best judge of pain, but inserting the contact detach did not bother me one bit. It was as painless as a shot with a pen needle.

Silhouettes are similar to inset 30s but you insert them manually, and I think the cannula is shorter on the inset 30s. However, angled sets like inset 30s are low risk for kinking. Also, the steel sets are supposed to be changed every 2 days and the Teflon every 2 days.

There was articles about the Teflon being carcinogenic going around a while ago. I also ordered some comforts (Teflon) and the box said something about the state of California has deemed it necessary to state that this product contains materials known to be carcinogenic. Don’t have the box anymore but they were comforts if anyone is curious.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013