- advertisement -

Has anyone homeschooled their Type 1 Child?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Samantha15, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Samantha15

Samantha15 Approved members

Hi everyone,
    My son was diagnosed last year at the age of 3. Since then everything has been a whirlwind. We send him to private school with a nurse everyday, which we do bc our school district provides nothing for Type 1 Children till 1st grade. He knows he is different and feels very self conscious as it is, but recently the boys in his class have started picking on him. I'm not sure whether or not I should homeschool him. I just hate the idea of him dealing with diabetes at such a young age with having to be picked at in school on top of it. He is such a smart and good-natrured boy and is a ripe target for various reasons. I really need help!!!

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think homeschooling your child to avoid a problem at school, (or because of diabetes) is a very bad idea.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Many parents opt to homeschool their child/children with diabetes. It may or may not be related to diabetes, just their choice.

If your son feels that his classmates are picking on him, you might want to have a meeting with his teacher(s) to discuss this.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We homeschooled well before diabetes and now for the years after (in our 11th year of schooling at home). Homeschooling is a valid, rich, wonderful educational option and I'm happy to support in any way I can. My biggest advice is to research fully and find local support. I feel that to be successful in homeschooling you need to be led by your heart, not by fear or anxiety. It's a lifestyle change. I feel that homeschooling is who we ARE, not what we DO.

Good luck.

5. Samantha15

Samantha15 Approved members

I really appreciate all the advice. I am still so overwhelmed and this is the first time in a year that I have reached out through a website like this. For those of you whwo have homeschooled, how have you balanced it with socializing with other kids?

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is so true.
    You first need to step back and take diabetes out of the picture. Is it something you would have done if there wasn't a diabetes diagnosis? Is it a learning/teaching style you are enthusiastic about? My friends have started HS/Virtual school their child this year. She doesn't have diabetes, but multiple learning issues. After a year of going round and round with the school not living up to their end of the IEP, they decided that it was best for them to HS. They knew that HS would allow them to help her learn at her own pace and in her own unique way. Because school had been such a nightmare, they were all ready and excited for the change. It's going very well!

As for kids picking on your son, sadly this happens. Is it directed at his diabetes, or just at him in general? I would first talk to the teacher and see what she has to say and talk with the nurse too. Has the nurse, or yourself gone in to talk to the class about diabetes? Generally in the early years the kids are given an overview of what it is and a story is read. Always the focus is on "everyone is a bit different."

7. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

My daughter is 5 and was just diagnosed this past Christmas eve. We have been active in lots of homeschooling groups locally for the past year even though she wouldn't technically start school until this September. We haven't made an official decision but are weighing the pros and cons of both. I was a public school teacher and many of my cons are from what I saw happening in the schools where I taught. I really like the freedom that comes with homeschooling and think it is a wonderful option for some families. Whatever decision you make, it isn't set in stone and you always have the option to change your mind.

8. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I am having a hard time with the "school district provides nothing for type 1 children till 1st grade" - if they are a federally funded school in anyway (including help for school lunches) they have to provide accomodation under the Federal Disabilities Act.....I would seriously check into that

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would strongly argue against homeschooling to avoid other kids or because of D.

As others have said, if you have the skill, the time and the desire to homeschool that's one thing, but if you're just considering it because of your child's diabetes then I'd think that an unwise move.

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Okay, I didn't read all the other posts cause I have to go get some school done (lol, I'ma senior and I'm home schooled).

My mom has been homeschooling me and my siblings for ten years now, before and after diabetes. I love it, I can do so many fun things that I wouldn't have time for if I was in regular school. Also you can really tailor the curriculum to your kid, for example I'm going to nursing school next year and really enjoy medical stuff, so I'm taking history of medicine this year! Home schooling is a great option, but it's not for every one...

Another option is cyber schooling, (I'm sorry I only know about the cyber schools in PA so this might be different depending on where you live) both my sisters (one has graduated and is in college) chose to do cyber school, this means that the school sent them each a computer, printer, and everything they would need to do their school work. Then each day the log onto the web site and can click on their different courses, they have real teachers that they can call, of chat with online, and chats where they can be in a class room like setting and meet classmates. It's a great option if you want to home school but you don't feel comfortable being in charge of what they learn.

Sorry, this is a lot! My mom's a Home school evaluator so I know a lot about the different options. I would not suggest pulling your child out of school when they are in Pre k-k.... you learn a lot about how to share... be social in those classes and I think it's important. (I started home schooling in 2nd grade) It's okay for diabetes to be one of the reasons you choose to leave your current school, but don't let it be the only reason... and if your child is being bullied, you should talk to the teacher/parents.... I was bullied (in a home school co-op) and I just left... I've always wished that my mom and I had tried to work it out.

11. khannen

khannen Approved members

I'll tag on here a bit. We homeschooled for a few years, but that was the plan before Diabetes even came into our life. It's NOT something I would do solely because of diabetes or to avoid an issue.

As to the socialization comment, but is typically a big myth. My kids had MORE socialization opportunities while outside of school. ;) They also dealt with kids of various ages rather than just being stuck with same age peers all day that they more or less are only allowed to talk to during recess. Depending on where you live, there are often large homeschooling groups that offer support and activity options.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Have you spoken to the teachers at your son's school? There is a LOT that teachers can do at this age to prevent bullying. (And indeed, I'm hesitant to call it bullying at age 4.) My son is almost 9, was diagnosed at age 3, and I believe has only ever been teased about his diabetes once in all that time. I'd work with the school before making any big changes here.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son was dx'd just shy of his 8th birthday, in 2nd grade. After he returned to school (public) there were a few kids that made a few comments at lunch. My son was told he was going to die before he was 20. :eek: I explained to him that these children didn't know what they were talking about and I let the teacher know and she immediately took care of it and it never happened again. She had a discussion with the class about Diabetes and she read the book "Taking Diabetes to School". If the teachers don't know, they can't do anything about it so I would suggest you let your son's teacher know. Most comments by kids are made out of ignorance. Pulling your son out of school just because a few kids are making comments isn't enough, IMO, to consider homeschooling if this wasn't something you were planning on doing before. Just my two cents... :cwds:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  14. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

At this age, I would talk to the teacher and let her know that your son is having some problems with the other boys. At this age, they are easily redirected.
    I would not homeschool my child just because he has D. My daughter was dx right before her 9th bday in 3rd grade. Kids have asked questions out of curiosity but no one as made fun of her. She is now 11 and in 6th and loves school. She is very social and she does not think of herself as different than any other girl in her class.
    If your son feels different because of D, pulling him out of school because of it, is only going to make him feel more different. There is no reason why he can't have a normal school experience. Talk to the teacher.

15. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We homeschool. We would have done so even without D. It does make dealing w D easier, mostly because one person (me) is doing almost all the care.

Avoiding the school issues may not be the best reason to begin homeschooling but there are worse ones. And I think the reason one starts is not necessarily the reason one continues.

I would recommend reading up on homeschooling styles and see what you think would work for you. I have a series on them on my blog(www.lettersfromnebby.wordpress.com).

16. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

In this day and time...I believe schools are very different than what most of us experienced as children (not all of us but most of us). Before diabetes was in the picture, my non-d daughter was constantly picked on at school as were most of the smarter kids because they had a slew of mean kids and quite frankly, the teachers did not have the time or the know-how to deal with all of them. Because of the terrible time we had that year, I moved my daughter to a private school.

Fast forward to the next year when my son started kindergarten and when diabetes entered the picture just after school started. There is no nurse at the private school and my son is the only child with diabetes. After some very minor fit-throwing, the school administrator stepped up to care for him at school. It worked out great for us as she is very, very responsible and dependable. We have had a few hiccups, but nothing to get my feathers ruffled about.

I did think many, many times of homeschooling my children especially after diagnosis because I know that nobody in the world is going to protect my son like I do. However, I once got very, very sick with the worst virus I have ever experienced and it hit me....OMG what would I do if I were the only person familiar with this diabetes stuff and something happened to me? It was that moment that convinced me that I needed my children to be in school to broaden my support system for them and to broaden the support system for my son with diabetes. :cwds:

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I absolutely do not want to start a homeschool vs public school debate, and I strongly support each family in their very personal decision about things like this. I am not anti school, I am simply pro homeschooling for MY little family.

That said I did want to comment on the statement above. I'm very glad you get that support from your school, but trust me when I say that I feel I have MUCH MUCH more support from fellow homeschool families than I ever did when my kids were in school. I have friends now that I know I can call upon in a moment's notice, who would come pick up my kids and literally keep them as long as I needed them to. In fact when my son was diagnosed that's exactly what happened, my daughter was taken in by several families, they worked out a system to work around their own needs and I was able to simply trust them to take care of her while I stayed with him in ICU for several days. I never had that when my kids were in school. With homeschooling I have been able to forge friendships that quite simply are of a different level and nature. Perhaps many of you have that with the parents of kids in your children's class, I truly hope so, but that was NOT true for me. Homeschooling has allowed us to get to know families on much more of a heart level. It's hard to describe really, I guess it is more of that village mentality amongst fellow homeschool families and it's very typical for my kids to spend DAYS at their houses!

My son has always been independent in his care so I've never faced this specific need, but I have no doubt I could have leaned on many families to help if it was needed, in fact there are several families who have specifically asked to know more, so they can support him when he's with them. (usually his overnight friends)

I just didn't want anyone who was maybe on the fence about homeschooling to get scared of this possibility. Life takes all kinds of twists and turns, and we all can only do what feels right for our family.

18. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I second what Nancy says. My mom was recently in the hospital for 2 weeks, 10 days of it in the ICU. In some ways mayne it was harder to homeschool because I had to arrange for my children's care when I was at the hospital. But many homeschool friends stepped up and offered to take them. Now I hope if they had been in school thta those people would have offered too but the point is that as homeschoolers we are not isolated. I have a great support system.

19. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Absolutely

20. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Whether you homeschool or not is up to you. What I would suggest is that you join the local homeschool group, get on their group forum and attend all their activities. It's okay that your son is only 3 and that you are only thinking of homeschooling. This will give you a year or so to gather information and determine if it would work for your family.

In my area there is one homeschool group that is spread out over a wide area - there is always something going on!