- advertisement -

Has Anyone Homeschooled Because of Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Aug 22, 2014.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Notwithstanding how terrific my idea is of punching the nurse in the face, this is probably the more mature and effective approach. I wish you and your family luck and my thoughts are with your daughter.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The sad part is that even with legal action, the attitudes can remain the same and make life unpleasant and difficult even if they're following the letter of the law.

3. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

This makes me sad and mad all at the same time! I homeschool and have for years. The T1D diagnosis in May makes me that much more peaceful about that decision. If you can homeschool, go for it. I, and I dare say a number of other homeschoolers on this board, would be willing to help you along the way. But even if you do decide to go that route, please take every step necessary to make sure this school changes for the sake of any other kids that might end up there with any number of special needs. Good luck to you!

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We did homeschool early on and this was the reason. I have no issue with filing complaints, finding lawyers, standing up and all of that...but I was going to forever me *that mom that sued the school and almost lost federal funding* and I didn't really want to face that early on. So...when it came time for my non-D son to start K, we homeschooled. When my daughter got to K, we still homeschooled. I loved it. Really, really did. Another child was diagnosed in our district and the parents fought...took a year and their son ended up starting a year later than originally intended, from what I understand. At the end of second grade, we offered our son a choice and he chose to go to 3rd grade at the school. My daughter is in 5th grade and has homeschooled off and on. Another family fought the fight for us, basically.

Even with that, we still have a rough time with the school. They refused 504s, were horrible at my son's diagnosis and we ended up with assistance from a lawyer through the ADA and an advocate through our endo's office. It hasn't been fun and the nurse and superintendent are not my fans...but we have a working relationship.

If my kids decided tomorrow that they wanted to homeschool, I'd happily pull them. As of now they both prefer school but they know the option is always there :)

5. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

We began homeschooling last year due to issues with severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting which resulted in missing over 80 days of school. When abd pain was resolved still had issues with nausea in am so she wouldnt eat before school, would end up with blood sugar issues and either miss alot of isntruction time or end up coming home. I was the substitute nurse at the school. We had 4 type 1's in our school - a couple elementary, 1 middle school and 1 high school. When my dd was diagnosed we would pack lunch because the cafeteria supervisor would not provide carb counts. Ober time and the course of a new supervisor and cooperation of the school nurse, they started to provide carb counts. I am thinking that id the school is providing a breakfast program they receive federal funding. The food distributor should be able to provide carb counts to cafeteria personnel and they should provide to nurs. Our school district even has a link to lunch carb counts on their website. It does require extra work on the school's part, but type 1's are required to carb count. This should be noted on your child's medical management plan, which I am sure the health office has on file. I'm glad you are dealing with the ADA, unfortunately your school should be providing this info not because you pull the ADA in, but because its the right thing to do. I would continue to get the administration, superintendent, school board involved, mb if need be have your doctor present to the school board. Good luck!

6. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I called the lunch program directly. They provided the carb counts after I signed a disclaimer/liability type form.

7. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Why would you have to sign a release to get a carb count

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, they probably aren't guaranteeing the accuracy of the counts. I know that a few of the carb counts we get from the school lunch provider are sort of suspect, but they are overall pretty good. (We were not asked to sign a release.)

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

^^^ this. We weren't asked to sign anything but they made it clear that they couldn't guarantee the accuracy given that serving size might be plus or minus. It's not a big deal, she knows that her gut estimation is usually pretty close.

10. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Yes, to account for serving size or if their suppliers change something.

I'm good with that - closer than how we were figuring it.

11. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son was diagnosed just prior to grade 1. I found a small private school where the teachers were willing to take on the diabetes care for my son. I would have kept my son at home if I did not find this very small private school. He is going into grade 3 and will be going to the local public school this year. If I could not get the proper diabetes care for my son I would definitely consider homeschooling.

12. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We would homeschool even without the diabetes. I don't know anyone who homeschools solely because of it but I do know people who homeschool or are considering it because of other medical issues like asthma/ allergies that are aggravated in the school environment. I also know lots of people who started for one reason then found they like the lifestyle and continue it for other reasons. It is a lifestyle. If it is really something you are seriously considering I would read up on different approaches or styles online and try to find a local homeschool group to hook up with. Around here they all have their own character so you might need to try a couple to find one that you feel comfortable with.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

CYA.
    We have found that some are spot on, others are woefully off. The nurses are familiar with what's served in the cafe, so they know what is/isn't accurate. Between them and the kids they come up with something that usually works…usually.

We've never had to sign anything, nor would I ever sign anything.

14. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

We have always homeschooled from birth, not because of diabetes. My oldest recently graduated from college and the second will graduate from college after this year. Both are headed to graduate school. William, age 12, is our youngest. Though I do know someone who eventually homeschooled because of diabetes, homeschooling was our choice before diagnosis.

15. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

She had her regular endo appt this morning(A1C is 6.0). The endo agreed that Sophie is very capable of managing her D in the classroom. He of course rebuked the bloodbprne pathogen issue and that thought the finger cots are borderline bullying by the nurse.The CDE is going to contact the DON for the district. The CDE added she doesn't think the district knows what they are up against since she knows I'm a bulldog when it co!es to my kids. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the ADA and hopefully will not have to use them

16. MochisMama

MochisMama New Member

I have been homeschooling my T1 kiddo and my older son since diagnoses. We tried school for 3 days before I pulled them out. The school totally failed to take training and care seriously. We are also in a district with only one school nurse. Have your school issues been resolved yet?

17. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Same here. The diagnosis just confirmed our decision after our first 2 years of homeschooling. We thoroughly enjoy it most of the time and have tons of support from our local group, family, etc and it is huge in our state (more homeschoolers than private school students). The local public school has 1 nurse that goes between 3 schools, which means she's only at our local elementary 1.5 days/week. There are challenges to homeschooling (def not easy), but it has many rewards as well.