- advertisement -

Has Anyone Homeschooled Because of Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Aug 22, 2014.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I'm beyond fed up with these schools. They refuse to follow the law,or care plans written by the end. I'm waiting for help from ADA

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry to hear that. I hope the ADA can be of help. I have always felt that diabetes alone should not be a reason to homeschool a child. Obviously, there may be situations where the child's safety is at risk and there is no way to change things in the school setting and the only available option is to take the child out of school. But I believe those are very rare cases. Good luck.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Oh no. I'm so sorry that you are having school troubles. Our district has not been an issue thankfully - I hope the ADA gets them back in line. Can I ask what they are refusing to do for Sophie?

4. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I personally would've liked to because I thought it would make things a lot easier. I'm not one of those people that can homeschool though so it wasn't really a good option. Nothing wrong with it though but hopefully you can get some help before resorting to homeschooling if that's not what you really want to do

5. wearingtaci

They are refusing to give us a breakfast carb count so Sophie can previous for any school meal. That means that her blood sugar climbs to almost 300 twice a day. Yes I could make her eat breakfast at home,but school breakfast is a social time that the kids get to spend with friends.
    They refuse to let her check in class,despite her endo amending her care and treatment plan saying"Please allow Sophia to check and treat her blood glucose in class,she has demonstrated the ability and maturity to perform these daily tasks"
    Another student was allowed to call Sophie's pump"the remote to her broken body",and that helped Sophie melt down
    Every time she tests she has to wear a finger cot on the finger she tested from until she gets off the bus at home. They are claiming bloodborne pathogens

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This kind of thing just profoundly frustrates me. Our children have to deal with so much pain and hassle on a daily basis, the school should not be adding to it.

Is it a public school that receives Federal funds? If so they are bound by law to accommodate her needs. I know you are involving the ADA which is good, because this is going beyond an Endo issue into a legal one. If the ADA is not able to get you the accommodations she needs, I would make sure the school knows that the next step is going to be involving the local media. Maybe the thought of seeing their treatment of your daughter on the 6:00pm news might make them a little more compliant.

As for the bogus "blood borne pathogens" argument, are they applying that standard to every paper cut, scraped elbow, scratch, scab etc?? I bet not.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. mamattorney

Oh wow.

So is she just guessing the carb count for breakfast after it's in front of her or are they providing it to her, but they refuse to do it ahead of time because they don't know what she will choose? My daughter stopped getting any school lunches after diagnosis because it took too long. She would choose her lunch, take the tray to the nurse's office and they would look up what she chose and then dose the correct amount. It was necessarily inefficient and the lunch wasn't that tasty, so she now just packs a lunch all the time.

As a work around, maybe she could prebolus for a minimum amount of carbs (if the breakfasts run 30-50 carbs, she could prebolus for 30 and then add an additional bolus if needed). The middle school has a full .pdf of all the cafeteria food, so I'm thinking about just printing it out for her and letting her decide in the morning if she wants school lunch or a packed lunch - maybe make a copy for her to keep in her purse in case she adds an a la carte item to her packed lunch . . .

The not letting her test in class and making her wear a finger cot is truly ridiculous. I most certainly hope the ADA straightens them out on that. Does your state have a Diabetes Care type act for kids in school? Part of my state's law says:
    [TABLE="width: 500, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Sec. 30. Self-management. Provided that the student is authorized according to his or her diabetes care plan, a student shall be permitted to do the following:
    (1) check blood glucose when and wherever needed;
    (2) administer insulin with the insulin delivery
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 100%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 1"] [/TD]
    [TD]system used by the student;
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] (3) treat hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia and
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]otherwise attend to the care and management of his or her diabetes in the classroom, in any area of the school or school grounds and at any school-related activity or event in accordance with the diabetes care plan; and
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] (4) possess on his or her person, at all times, the
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]supplies and equipment necessary to monitor and treat diabetes, including, but not limited to, glucometers, lancets, test strips, insulin, syringes, insulin pens and needle tips, insulin pumps, infusion sets, alcohol swabs, a glucagon injection kit, glucose tablets, and food and drink, in accordance with the diabetes care plan.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

That remark made by the other kid is just plain mean. While the topic has to do with diabetes, there should be school policies regarding what to do when kids are mean and upsetting other kids like that regardless of the topic of the remark.

I feel for you - you're not asking for the earth to stop turning because of your child's diabetes, just some basic stuff. She's getting too old to be missing class time for every finger prick.

8. wearingtaci

I know for a fact that the finger cot,or completely covering a wound isn't at least district wide because my kindergartner came home today with a huge open scrape on her elbox and said her teacher just washed it off. In Sophie's care and treatment plan her endo added the line about allowing her to test and treat in class,interestingly enough she was able to test and treat on the bus on the way home today and she was able to test and treat at a baseball game last year when the nurse didn't attend the field trip(same school). We also have a state law in Indiana that says any student capable may test and treat anywhere on a public school campus,and she goes to public school.
    Today my husband contacted the DON for the district and she told him,that the policies are district wide for all grades and the school board even requires seniors on the last day of school to go to the nurse to test and treat,regardless of ability. Hubs is mad enough to want to talk to civil rights attorneys in an attempt to force the school district into compliance with state law. The school won't gibe us a carb count because they are concerned that she will entered the carbs from her meal without supervision which is funny because last year she got so tired of the nurse refusing to let her correct that she started testing and correcting the bathroom at school.
    None of this is funny but yesterday when the nurse called to confirm numbers she even said"Sophie is so knowledgeable and serious about her diabetes care"

9. mamattorney

I think areas like this are right up the ADA's alley. You have a state law for goodness sakes! How the district's legal representative can allow that nurse to unequivically say it is the district's intention to violate state law for every single child with diabetes is beyond me. That comment about the senior in HS is just icing on the cake.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is absolutely nuts.

You don't have to be a lawyer to file a complaint with OCR. They have all of the necessary forms on their website. But, you need to lay the proper foundation first. Request a 504 meeting in writing, make your accommodation requests in writing, and then when they deny them, file with OCR.

11. wearingtaci

She can!e home and let it all go to me. For the 3rd day of school she is really miserable. D is playing into it in a huge way,she misses class time,then islost when she returns from the nurse and has more work to make up. There are other issues that are contributing and school shouldn't cause this level of sadness and frustration

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Loose teeth are a huge source of blood during the elementary years. It ends up all over papers, desks, etc. Far more gross than a small prick for T1D testing, but nobody bans kids with loose teeth.

13. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

That is maddening. I realize how lucky I am with my school.

I've had to bring in spare clothes so much blood gushing from bloody noses. Ugh!

14. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

We do charter home school with our boys, our oldest is nine and has type 1 since age four. It just seemed easier than going back and forth between school and home and we felt that we could maintain tighter control. I know it is not for everyone, but it has worked out well for our family. My wife does a wonderful job and I try to help when I am home. I am sure the diabetes thing factored into our decision making, but was not the primary factor for our decision, but weighed heavily on our decision.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If I wanted to home school I would. If I didn't, then I wouldn't let the public school system force me to.

I see from your previous posts that the school has been pretty odious all along. Did you ever have any luck last spring taking your concerns to the Superintendent?

16. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

If I recall correctly this is the same woman that threatened your daughter with the zero tolerance on drugs policy? This is far and away the worst nurse I've heard about in my 2 years on this board. Our nurse was bad, but this woman is just evil. I'm sorry your daughter has to suffer through this. It's completely unnecessary. Someone needs to punch this nurse in the nose, toss her a rag, and say "make sure you keep that covered until you get home".

17. wearingtaci

We have had no luck with anyone regarding her d and the staff. Last year I was strung along until summer break started and then the entire district went on break,including all the staff I needed to speak with. My husband was able to make contact with the DON and she attempted to tell him it was all for safety,blah,blah,blah. Until he quoted the state law and Sophie's medical care plan. Now we wait for her the speak with the district attorney,so we wait again. It is so frustrating because when she went on field trips there was no one to help with D,and she managed great on her own.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think you need to be d.o.n.e. screwing around with them. Request your 504 meeting, make your accommodations request in writing, and when they deny you, call ADA and file your OCR complaint. It's the only way you're going to get anywhere with these morons.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed. Enough valuable time has been wasted. They will not change. You might want to even contact ADA prior to get all your ducks in a row.

20. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I have not had to work with the school on diabetes yet but I have had to advocate for my other kids. Everything you ask for put it in writing and request a response, in writing, and ask them to give you a reason for their determinations, by a specific date. There are laws and rules surrounding all this and they have policies on file - they have to. They will perk up and take you seriously if it is all in writing. You can even send it certified to the principle or whomever coordinates the 504 plans so there is proof it was received and when. CC the superintendent and/or school board. You can be very cordial (and should be) but they will know you are assembling a paper trail and they'll quit fiddling around. That gets things moving. If your state has a Advocacy agency - contact them. Mine has an awesome one. They give tons of free legal advice over the phone and they will attend a meeting if it comes to that. ADA is probably the same, I don't really know. Good luck!