- advertisement -

Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I just wanted to wish everyone celebrating Thanksgiving a very happy day and safe travels.

To those of you who are celebrating your first holiday with a CWD I just wanted to say, it'll be fine:) Really. Try not to sweat it too much if your CWD is eating a bunch of high carb stuff and youve lost track of how much theyve eaten and how much insulin theve had. Quite often, especially with young kids they are so excited about being with family and traveling that they dont really eat alot more than any other day.

I usually try to get a plate together for Steven's big meal with him helping me, figure in at least a piece of chocolate cream pie (his fave) and bolus for that. If he is eating a a bit more here and there during the day I will just test him more and give corrections if needed. I figure he might be higher than I'd like but its a holiday and they dont happen all that often.

Enjoy your day:cwds:

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well said, Becky! :cwds: Our first Thanksgiving with D was only 6 or so weeks after dx. :eek: I remember making the choice to just "go with it" that day and not stress and it all worked out! :D

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3. jtolpin

jtolpin Approved members

Goggle Gobble!

Indeed. Have a good day all!!!

4. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

I find holiday meals actually go really well...its probably because I pay so much extra attention :)

Happy turkey day everyone, I'm off to make some green bean casserole :D

5. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Lots of firsts for me too... Daniel aka Picky eater, isn't a thanksgiving fan LOL.. He will have some turkey, a dollop of mashers, corn, bread....maybe mac n cheese...so i suppose the extra carbs will still be there yikes!! Was thinking about starting a thread like this...

So curious...how much do you bolus for stuffing? Does your child eat a lot more carbs this day?

Grateful for this community that has gotten me through many a worried night or day....grateful for the insulin that keeps my son alive.... and always waiting and praying that I live to see the day the cure is found...

6. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well and everybody on the cwd...I think this is great advice:D

7. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Like so many have said before, I wish there was a like button...LIKE LIKE LIKE:D Very thankful myself!!:D

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I think there is carb counts for stuffing in the calorie king book. Its probably measured by 1/2 cup serving im thinking. I dont know if Steven necessarily eats alot more carbs that day, maybe different types of carbs such as the mashed potatoes and the pie. Dont be surprised if you see fat spikes tomorrow as things like stuffing can be fatty as can things like potatoes with lots of butter and the pies with puddings or custards in them.

Im glad you found us Shirley:cwds: Wishing you and yours a joyous and Happy Thanksgiving

9. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Yes, a happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and a big thank you to all the helpers I'm lucky to have encountered here (repeatedly, lol) over the past 3 months :)

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hope everyone has a happy, joyful day. I know that even if we don't say it aloud at the table, we are all profoundly thankful for insulin, CWD and our thriving CWDs. :cwds:

11. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Great advice Becky!!!!

Wishing all the CWD a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

12. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Cool post, Becky. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, relax and enjoy! :)

13. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and to those who will be traveling, be extra safe.

I will give thanks that this Thanksgiving, I have a happy, healthy little one compared to the sickly one I had last year. I'm thankful for all the support, advice, and hugs that I've been given by all of you, and that after months of struggling to keep her numbers in a nice range, Sophie has managed to have some success on the pump.

14. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Our house is a carb lovers dream during the holidays! I always worry that I should be more cautious but, in the end he never goes crazy and we all enjoy the time together:) I have started making stuffing in muffin cups so that they are pre portioned and I don't have to weigh it every time he wants more!