- advertisement -

Happy Birthday Dr. Banting!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Today is not only World Diabetes Day, it is also the birthday of probably the most important figure in diabetes history. Dr. Frederick Banting and his team created insulin:cads:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/physicians/030002-2000-e.html

So today, let your kid have a piece of cake to celebrate his birthday. Because of him they can have their cake and eat it too!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Love that picture of them both with Marjorie the dog ( I think that was her name)

And I'm laughing - have you seen the quote on the bottom of my siggy?

3. Beach bum

Don't know the dogs name. Like the picture of him sketching in the Arctic. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation!

LOL, forgot that was your sig...

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

It takes a lot for me to get emotional, but I will be forever grateful to this man. I just need to look at this photo to see the difference one person has made to the world. I look at that, and I see a mother who is going to lose her child, a mother who knows there is no hope. None of us here ever need to know that feeling, a least not from diabetes.
    [​IMG]

And because it's world diabetes day, everyone should take a moment to visit the IDF's pages on WDD and especially pass on the information of how people can assist the IDFs mission (though Insulin for Life Australia) to help those in need in the Philippines. What better way to honor Dr. Banting's birth.

http://www.idf.org/insulin-diabetes-supplies/emergencies-and-disasters/donating-supplies

5. dshull

dshull Approved members

Just ordered a birthday cake for dessert tonight. Asked for "Happy Birthday Dr. Banting" on it in blue. Bakery seemed puzzled but my son will be excited to have cake for dessert!

As the acting pancreas around here, I really wanted to write "FU Diabetes" on the cake. Seemed inappropriate for an 8 year old though. Maybe will save that for his teenaged years ;)

6. Beach bum

This picture haunts me, even after all these years.
    I see what has happened in the Philippines, and think about those with diabetes and how and if they are managing.

7. Beach bum

Yep, getting cupcakes tonight. As I said before, my daughter can have her cake and eat it too because of this man!

8. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We have baseball tonight, so no cake/cupcakes, but I think we will visit Steak N Shake for a shake after the game :)

Thank you, Dr. Banting!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Last year I mentioned to Maddie that it was Banting's B-day and she said," Let's get a cake! Because of him we can!" :p

Great minds you know ;)

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That picture is gut wrenching and terrifying. I had not seen it before.

I think I will bake a cake today to celebrate.

11. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Thanks for the post. It reminds me how we have it good. CGMs, monitors, short and long acting insulin.

My son's diabetes anniversary is next wed and he wants a donut cake so we are going to enjoy some cake too.

Thank goodness for Dr. Banting and his team, they have helped so many lives.

I have not seen that picture before. What is the saying a picture worth a thousand words. I can't imagine the horror of watching your child waste away.

12. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I always say thank God my daughter was born in 2008... Thank dr. banting too =)

13. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I wish I could find the short video clip they show in the movie theatres here honouring Banting and his discovery. It is so moving, especially the part about rows of children in comas coming back to life as they received their first shots of insulin.