- advertisement -

Halloween

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by teri1010, Sep 26, 2010.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

We started the tradition of having neighbors and friends over for a pre trick or treat party where everyone brings healthy snacks in hopes of filling them up---deviled eggs looking like eyes, snake sandwiches, etc.

I asked if he was trick or treating this year since he's in 6th grade and he says of course. The exercise and excitement keep him perfectly in range.

For 5 years he went to houses on our block then trick or treating with the minimed rep who happens to have D himself. The rep gave him cider, hot cocoa, popcorn balls, but at least he knew how to bolus him:D

2. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

I haven't read all of the replies, so I apologize if this is a repeat answer. We had the Switch Witch come to our house last year. The kids got to party and trick-or-treat and then they were allowed to choose 5 pieces of candy. We then placed all the candy in a bowl on the table. When the woke up the next morning the candy was gone and replaced with some small fun toys. We will do that again this year...the kids would much rather have a new toy/craft then the candy.

Meagan =) :D

3. Johan'smom

Johan'smom Approved members

We were just diagnosed this month too and my son is already "Freeking Out" about Haloween and it will be "Different" this year all due to "This D:rolleyes:amn Diabetes" (His words....)
    We talked about it and decided he could still have some candy on Halloween - just like in years past, we also decided we should save some for "Lows" and then the rest he could trade in for a new Video Game. He seemed pretty happy with the plan. Keep your fingers crossed!:rolleyes:

4. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

We allow her to eat several pieces, save some for lunches, some for lows and the rest goes to Candy Science....like seeing how long it takes to melt a tootsie roll in the microwave. Or seeing how different candies disolve in different liquids. DD thought it was a lot of fun - even if it was sometimes visually gross (tootsie rolls in orange soda...yuck!)

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My DS was diagnosed about 6 weeks before halloween last year. I was NOT looking forward to it! Being the new to D mom that I was, I ended up looking up carb counts for all of the bigger things....what a pain! I don't recommend it. (that was before I found these message boards. :D) However, I've been a "halloween scrooge" all my life, so I think we're going to boycott Halloween this year (all that candy isn't good for children, D or not!). But then, like someone else said, then there's Thanksgiving, then Christmas, then Valentine's day...you can't hide from candy for the rest of your life, no matter how much you might want to! ;) :rolleyes:

My DS is pretty good about saving treats he gets to eat after dinner and adding the carbs into his shot (plus the food keeps him from having a huge spike from the candy). We'd just let him choose a few pieces of candy to eat after dinner. It really helped it to not cause such a problem for us. Hopefully your D child will be as good natured about it.

To all newly diagnosed out there... keep in mind....you're probably still honeymooning, so hopefully that will make it easier to keep BG's in control. :) Good luck!!!! (I know exactly how you feel!)

6. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

While trick or treating, Ab eats a little because the walking tends to make her go low. When we get home,we save some to use for lows, before diabetes she could choose a few to eat right then , she still does that(and gets extra insulin) and then I buy the leftovers from her and take it in to work. Thankfully, Ab now prefers to stay home and hand candy out-I just buy the stuff that will meet our needs later. But, we live on Main Street and we hardly ever have any leftover!

7. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Some of our local stores do swaps where the kids bring in their candy and in return get a $10 gift card. This year I believe it's Walmart and Boscov's. We also have a local dentist who pays by the pound :). All candy goes to soldiers overseas :).