- advertisement -

Halloween candy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Thanks for the link!

I should force my younger sisters to give me all the super sugary, non-chocolate, candy they get while trick-or-treating. Some of the stuff might be easy for me to carry around college for hypo treatment, and I am getting really sick of glucose tablets.

Once all the Halloween candy goes on sale, I will have to run down and grab all the mini nerds boxes, candy corn, pixie sticks, smarties, skittles, jelly beans, and bottle caps. :D

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Thank you so much for posting this! I've printed it up and will keep it handy so my daughter can gorge herself on Halloween candy while I bolus her accurately. :triumphant:

Halloween is my daughter's favorite holiday, next to her birthday and Hanukkah, so there's no way I'm going to let the fact that she has T1D make this Halloween any different from her Halloweens in the past. I'm just glad that she's never trick-or-treated like we used to back in the day (or she'd have a year's supply of candy every Halloween!) We would take the largest pillowcase we could find and make the rounds before it was even fully dark, returning home some time later with what felt like 20 pounds of candy. We'd empty out our pillowcases, go back out, and do it all over again. Back then, everyone went trick-or-treating and every house had a never-ending supply of candy to give away; I don't ever remember any houses running out of candy before the sun came up the next day. It's so different these days; I don't see all that many kids out trick-or-treating, so we always have loads of leftover candy. I never see any kids trick-or-treating without a parent or other adult accompanying them. When I was a kid, no one's parents went with them. It was a different world then...

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If you dig around, there is a pretty detailed list here on the site. Parents have added to it over the years. LOL, I love Halloween because of all the fun size items that are great for treating lows!

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Also don't forget to hit the stores the day AFTER Halloween for all the clearance candy for lows. I stock up every year. :smile:

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yep!
    And not even candy, the small packs of goldfish, pb crackers etc. They are just really handy, especially if you only need a 10-15g snack for bringing up the lows. That's what I like best is that they aren't the full size.

7. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

That is very helpful, thanks! We are always annoyed that the carbs aren't printed on the little 'fun size' candy.

Halloween is one of the only times I let my 9 yo just have at it. We try to estimate carbs as best as we can. If she's a little high at the end of the night, so be it. I love the joy she gets from one night of being able to indulge in any treat she wants without overly watchful eyes. And she's so not used to stuffing her face with candy like that so it usually holds her over until the following year :)

8. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I was thinking that I should make a list like this, and now I just have to print it!