- advertisement -

Had a Wimpy D Moment Today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Sep 1, 2011.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

Ok, I wimped out today and it practically killed me to do it. It is a long story but to shorten it, we went to McD's after school and Hailey wanted a 4 piece chicken mc nugget happy meal w fries and apple dippers and a chocolate milk shake. She has a very small lunch because she eats so slow and she has to eat all of it, you know? So, however, I told her she had to chose between the fries and apple dippers. I had never gotten her a shake before, and when I looked up the carbs it said 110! :eek: Well, with the other stuff she was going to eat, that came to 152 carbs. She is only 9 and honestly I have never given her that much insulin. I was afraid their nutritional info might be wrong. What if I gave her too much insulin????? :(:eek: I know all of you with teenagers must be laughing by now, but for me it was an issue. So I broke her heart and told her she couldnt have the shake. We had already ordered it so she asked if we could take it home. We got home and I had had time to think about it and I decided to let her have half the shake. I measured it, 8 ounces, so it would have been 55 carbs. I was still afraid to give her that much insulin, so I backed it off to 45. She had a dance class later to go to so I figured if she was high it would be ok. Her BG number before the class was 95!!! :) I was so glad I backed it off, and also glad I found the courage to at least let her have half the shake!!

Whew!!:eek:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Denise

Denise Approved members

aww. I'm sorry you felt the need to make this decision. Every child is different aren't they? It's a tough choice sometimes. I know when my daughter has a ton of carbs and I bolus for all, for some reason she tends to go low. I usually subtract 15-20 carbs and do a 2 hour check, especially if ice cream is involved. This works for us. I don't always want to say no, so I just bite the bullet and know that I'm going to be doing a lot of checking later that day! :eek:

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I usually error on the lower end too if when I count the carbs and they are really high. Kayla really wanted an icee one night. We got it but the carbs when I looked it up were so high. We ended up bolusing for less and she was high at the 2 hour but then low at 3 hours.. so it all worked out, I guess?? It is so hard when it is those once in a while treat, but I don't think you can say no to something so normal for a kid.

4. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I sooo understand the emotions brought on by something so simple as a trip to Mickey Ds...shakes, McFlurries, supersize fries--all bring the carb count up so high. Steak & Shake is our big one--a 12 yo boy does NOT want a kiddie size shake! I always say he can eat whatever he wants, but the truth is when the carb count gets much above 100, sort of becomes a crap shoot at times. Concern that the carb counts are not accurate, nervous about giving such a big dose of insulin, the fat load that usually is in the bigger carb count meals, plus knowing the carb ratio is not perfect and inaccuracy gets magnified w/ larger carb intakes--just wanted to let you know I have been right there with you in this situation! Don't consider it a wimpy moment--you learn something every time you go outside the comfort zone, and she learns D really is not in control of her life!

5. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

It dont think it was a wimpy moment! McDs is devil food to my DD. We dont deal with the shakes because she gets excitied to have soda (we do diet), because that is something she doesnt get at home. I do take my kids to McDs probably once every 3 months or so but when we do her BG is crazy high for hours and hours, and I give insulin for every single carb. I know it is probably from the fat, but I can not figure it out.

The way I explain it to others (and some here may or may not agree) is that DD is not on any special diet and can have anything she wants, BUT as a family we all try to make healthy choices. So, when I say no about something it is not because of D it is because I feel at that moment in time it is a bad food choice (truth be known D is ALWAYS on the front of my mind). They are not always happy about it, but I'm the mommy. My DS is the killer, he gets so angry with me. Its by far from a perfect diet, we eat cheesburger on the grill, pizza everyother week, hot dogs are a fav around here too.

The way I look at this is that I'm not treating the D, I'm treating the CHILD w/ D and I refuse to take away those treats she has every once in a while.

6. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

Glad it all worked out for you. That is a good idea about letting her have half. My dh used to take kids to Chick-fil-a for a shake. It is hard when your kid used to be able to have one and his siblings still can. On another note, the other day ds and i went to FATZ after his endo appt. He decided he wanted some kind of fried fish platter. We asked the waitress for nutritional info. Turned out it was 150 carbs!!! I steered him towards some baked fish and fries and saved 50+ carbs. Of course then he wanted two bread rolls....

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Oh my gosh, I had the same experience with the McD shake!! When I saw the carb count for the small shake at over 100 my eyes bugged outta my head. I mean how can that be?!?! I just couldn't believe it. So I dosed her for 75 instead and in an hour bs was 400! Ah well. Now I dose for the whole thing. Actually, now we avoid milkshakes altogether for both kids, non-D too. We've only had them twice in 3 years.

Goodness, what do they put in that stuff? I mean straight icecream isn't that many carbs.

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I don't think you were being wimpy. I can totally relate to the concern about an extraordinarily large bolus and what effect it might have and there have been times when I've done the same thing.

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

That sounds pretty courageous to me! Those larger-than-normal insulin doses make things a bit dicey at times. But you overcame it and let her have some shake--I call that courage, not wimpiness.

Nathan's never had a milkshake....

10. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I remember ds' first giant dose...the number was just so big it made me nervous and I double checked everything thinking I must have made a miscalculation!

I just have to remind myself it's ok, it's all proportional. But Bobby is a teen, so his endless eating got me past the sticker shock on doses pretty quickly. ;)

You did great and she got to enjoy her shake!

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thanks everyone, I knew you would understand. It is so hard for me to trust some of the nutritional info out there. It didnt make sense to me that it would be that high!!

Regarding the ICEEs, at 7-11 they have diet slurpies!! That is the special treat she got on the first day of school!

12. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

omgosh, that would be awesome! I wish we had a 7-11 around here.

13. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

It shocks me to see how much milkshakes are in carbs... I'm so glad daniel doesn.'t like them.. and you know if he ever does, we are making them at home lol...I did buy him his favorite flavored icecream from rite aid that they serve at the counter, called birthday cake(he hasn't had any since diagnosis).I was able to read the container that it was 19 carbs per1/2 cup serving...nahh he has shown no interest in it whatsover. Now if i could just have him lose interest in french fries and mac n cheese, i would be a happy camper.

14. lisab

lisab Approved members

Not wimpy D moment at all...We avoid McD's shakes... like the plague! lol I can certainly understand the anxiety of huge carb content requiring huge bolus... especially when it involves almost an amount that would usually be equivalent to almost a whole days carb consumption in one hit!! With McD's regardless at what she orders... we always dose 1/2 carbs upfront and the remainder at around 2 - 2 1/2 hours later.... otherwise we will see a low around the 2hr mark.... and then the dreaded fat spike later. This seems to work for us.... majority of the time, without drama. I think you handled the situation beautifully.... I'm always a bit suspicious of carb counts on McD foods... always reduce by around 20% to be on the safe side... due to fat content.