- advertisement -

H1N1 shot for all of your kids?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 22jules, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Just wondering if you all have been able to get the H1N1 shot for all your kids, not just the d ones. I was able to make an appointment for my d child and hopefully at a family of d clinic that is held at the endo will be able to get my non-d child a shot but I seem to be having a heck of a time!

They were supposed to have a family vaccination clinic at my endo yesterday from 3-5. We hustled down only to find that they did not have one. Now they are telling me that there is one from 9-11am tomorrow morning (my d child has her appt to get one at 8am) but I would have to take my non-d out of middle school to get. I am calling and trying to find out for sure before I take her out that she will be able to get one. Ahhhhhh!!!! It's driving me batty and I'm not sure what to do?

So for those that want the vaccination--are you making sure that all kids get it?

2. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Deacon got his at a public clinic and his brothers got theirs last week at school. I am getting mine this Friday on campus.

--Sara

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby got her H1N1 about 2 weeks ago. Maddy and I are getting our H1N1 today at a public clinic nearby. The gal also said that they most likely will have reg flu shots available too, so both girls will get those too.

Let's put it this way, if for some reason they called me and said it wasn't available, I would just reschedule. I'm not going to go crazy looking for one (especially since A got hers already). Both girls have been exposed to the flu already a couple of times, it's cycling through the school. No warning from nurses, just the girls coming home saying so and so had been out with the flu.

4. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

We did not get the H1N1 shot, however, our school did offer it free to all students who wanted it.

5. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Only T has been able to receive her H1N1 vaccination. (Even the booster.) We have been unable to get the vaccination for anyone else in the family. I wish it were more available here. Some counties and school districts are beginning to offer clinics but you have be age 2-9 and not have access to health insurance (or your insurance does not cover vaccinations). So we wait...

6. Zac's Mom

Zac's Mom Approved members

Our Health Department is giving them to all elementary aged children & they also had a clinic for them at our school. Zac has gotten him but I am not eligible yet.

7. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

We all just got one today. We went to see the dr about something else entirely. She said they had it and would recommend getting it. She even got one for my youngest without his having an appointment. He was not happy with me about it. Oh well! ;)

8. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

We stood in line for 3 hours as soon as they were available to get my three young ones the vaccine. My husband and I didn't qualify though.

9. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My other two had the H1N1 flu a few months ago, so they didn't need it. My dd had her first of two shots 22 days ago, and now I have contracted H1N1. She is 9, I am hoping that immunity is higher than the 36% I am hearing about . . . she is awful close to 10 . . .

10. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Oh I am so sorry you're sick. Hopefully your little one will escape the flu!:)

11. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Thank you. I am going to try to keep them healthy. 1/3 of my son's class was out today . . .

12. doratheexplora

doratheexplora Approved members

The vaccine insert states that the vaccine has not been tested for safety or efficacy in individuals with preexisting medical conditions or conditions that would increase their vulnerability to h1n1 itself.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Can you please provide a link for this statement? I have read the insert and did not see this.

14. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

My pediatrician has the H1N1 mist and shot.

My children will only have the regular flu shot this year.

15. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

16. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I got the shot for my younger son (12 yo nonD) but Alex has to go in to get his shot "when he has time."

But I was so PO'd tonight. I was talking to my brother online. He got the shot (didn't ask when)...he is not a child and doesn't have other issues....but the Dr gave it to him when he went in for pain in his foot. That would annoy me but he goes to MY family Dr! I have called them a number of times to see if they have it and no, they don't or they did but only for the "really high risk" people. I am going to call tomorrow to give them a huge piece of my mind! It would have been much nicer to just set up an appt and take ds in for the shot rather than spend my days checking various websites to see who might have it. And to give it to someone who's not high priority before all the kids and others have gotten it....:mad::confused:

17. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Our Elem. school vac. all kids with consent forms. It took nearly a month from when we were notified to when they got it and I had to take my Kindy girl (non D) at an out of school time, but we got them.

Hope your school does the same! Also our Health Dept has them...

18. linda

linda Approved members

luckily both my kids (D and non D) received regular flu at 1 year physicals in Sept. we were told to contact our City Health Dept.who administred free both kids in Oct. sadly we report Em got the Flu anyway (type-A the hospital said) but they do not "send out" for H1N1 unless type-B or admitted to hospital for severe symptoms....