advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym class - would you request a certain time?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2greatkids, Mar 15, 2011.

1. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Audrey will be in middle school next year, and will have gym class every day. I'm wondering if I should try to request a certain time for gym? Maybe right after breakfast or lunch? The end of the school day would probably be the worst time, since that's when she tends to go lower. Have you found that a certain time worked best for your child, or does it really make much of a difference?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Personally I'd just work with whatever time comes up. Fitting D into life, instead of life into D and all that, kwim?;) Plus it's so much fun trying to figure out how to work things when they don't always go how you want it.:eek:

Seriously, no. At what time will your child have gym, btw?

3. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We are in the same situation next year and I was wondering the same thing. Ideally, if she had gym early it would be best for her since her BG's are highest after breakfast (work off some of those carbs!), but I will probably just take what we are given . . .

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Gym ended up being no big deal at all. We learned to deal with the class whenever it was offered.

5. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Yes you don't want the end if day gym. My dd had that schedule first year in 6th grade.was pain she was always rushing though the nurses trying to fix that low before getting on bus. After that I talked to them and they never put her on that schedule. Forgot to do it for hs though.

6. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

We won't get her schedule until this summer, so if we're going to do something, now is the time to do it. The last thing I want is for her to get settled in classes, and us realize that the gym time just isn't working and then have her schedule switched around. That would make her feel different.

She is very resistant to having snacks at school, so if gym was at a 'low' time for her consistently, I'm afraid she would either come home low (which scares me) or miss some of gym class regularly to go to the nurses office to test and treat. She is very private about D and is not willing to test in class or in the locker room.

I'm thinking first thing in the morning might be best for her, so I will probably make that request.

7. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

When we did kayla's 504 meeting for hs this last year we did suggest she not have PE last period.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it depends on how complicated your Middle School scheduling is. Here it's a strategic exercise. :rolleyes: The kids have 3 different math levels, band or orchestra or general music, plus TAG and a rotation of "specials" ... so, picking a PE time might not be possible.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's the same here, and on top of it, it's rotated quarterly. I know what we will do is set up a basal program based on her PE schedule, probably tweak food ratios, possibly free snack etc. and have that run on those days.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our nurse spontaneously said to me this year, "Eesh. We really don't want him to ever have PE right before he gets on the bus. I'm going to mention that to Mrs. A."

So the nurse is kind of going to bat for us on this one without us saying anything.

11. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Last year Madison had PE right after lunch and we set a PE basal to take care of that instead of extra food or snack. She has PE the last period of the day this year and it's not a big deal for us. She has a PE basal and does tend to come home on the lower side, but she always has a snack when she gets home.

My suggestion would be to have PE after lunch and have her eat a few extra carbs to cover what she is doing in PE. Make sure she is always aware of what unit they are doing in PE because some days she'll be running the whole time and other days she may not be exerting herself as much.

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Sure you can manage gym whenever it's offered, but if you can request a morning gym, then go for it. It will help with any breakfast spike and make her day a little easier. (Besides, I think most ppl should get to decide when to work out that is best for their health and schedule not just be forced to run around at a time that is not good for them--obvioulsy everyone can't have gym in the morning, but if you can swing it then that's a good thing. I don't see this as one of those times that you should work d into your life, but one of those times when you should work your schedule into your life and needs.)

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughters middle school had a rotating block schedule so she had PE every other day for 90 mins but at a different time. We just worked it out. She did go to the nurses office here and there but mostly because she's lazy :p

This year in High School she had it second period first semester and now it's 4th right before lunch and she seems to be doing fine with it.

14. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I haven't and wouldn't. It really isn't an issue.
    My daughter has gym at 1 p.m. - about 2 hours after lunch. It has never been an issue. She just checks her BS before and has a small snack if needed.

15. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I just told the gym my son needed a 15 carb snack before PE. I gave him a sack of snacks.

16. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We have not dealt with MS and Diabetes yet but since Connor was dx in 1st grade and is now in 4th we have dealt with PE being at all different times of day. We have just worked with it each year and haven't had any issues.
    Once he hit MS and HS we will not have any say in when he has Athletics. The kids who play sports automatically have Athletics last period so they can go straight into after school practice with no interruption. (We already know Connor plans to play football and baseball.) We will just work with it since this is the way it is always done.

17. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have not requested a specific time for PE. However, I have requested that the more "core" academic classes be in the mornings just because we sometimes have to get in medical appts. in the afternoon and I would rather have him miss PE or an elective.

That being said, we have had middle school PE second period for 2 years and one year we had it after lunch. I prefer after lunch for this reason. DS gets quite a bit of insulin for breakfast so he goes to school with a lot on board. Then, if he does something strenuous, like run a mile: we will almost always see a low around 6th or 7th period. I have tried to convince and remind him to set temps: and he sometimes does and sometimes does not. So with 2nd period PE we have had to deal with more lows at school.