- advertisement -

Guardian vs replacement transmitter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jules12, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

two years ago, I had to fight to a 2nd level appeal to get cgms approved and sensors covered. We have not had to replace the transmitter yet....but it is way passed the warranty. Do you think I could ask for the guardian or do you think I would have to fight all over again and it would be better to stick with a replacement transmitter?

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I think you should try for the guardian and a transmitter! Call mm. Say, you want to order the gaurdian unit and transmitter since it's out of warranty. ask them to run it through the insurance. Once you are covered, it should be no problem (famous last words :rolleyes: ). But there's no harm in trying. I think it would probably be easier to get the whole kit together. Once you get the new transmitter, they might balk at the gaurdian.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I suspect that they'd cover both, but don't know for sure. I don't see how it could hurt to try for both and then back off of that if they put up a stink.

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I called them today and started the process - originally I told her the transmitter only (you just don't know what I went through for the cgms in the first play). Then I called her back and she said when the person who is actually handling my account calls me back, we can then try the guardian and see....

Thanks for the responses. I just dread the idea of going through the "fight" again. I even had to fight with them for six months after the approval because BCBS kept entering the wrong code and my sensors would kick out as not covered all the time.

5. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. And MM called yesterday and told me insurance approved it! :) Good luck to you, I hope you get your phone call soon too!!! :D

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yay! You're really going to like it Caro! And Jenny will too!

7. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Actually you and Kim inspired me !!! ;) So, thank you both!! :)

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

OK - keep your fingers crossed - the doctor's office called me to question why I would want the guardian vs using his pump....after talking with the CDE, he finally said he say my point so he is going to write up the paperwork for the guardian.....now if insurance will approve!!!!

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

First I had to convince the endo why I would want two devices and now I have received two call backs from medtronic about having both devices. Let's hope the insurance doesn't call and just approves it......

10. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

Our insurance approved it. I'm not sure they understood what it was :)