- advertisement -

Guardian Users any tips???

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Ok, so we started both the boys on the guardian last night.

Any tips for us from experienced users? We did learn not to calibrate within and hour of eating & I just read not to eat 15 minutes after calibrating.

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Make sure they drink plenty of fluids..this will have an effect on readings!!

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

as you get to know how it works for your kids, you'll figure out what works best for your kids.. don't always go by what others say.. I, for one, am not as picky NOW about calibrating, as I was in the beginning.. we do not wait to eat, and I'll calibrate if I have to give insulin (insulin doesn't start working for abour 20min anyway).. I won't calibrate when she's changing wildly though..

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

You've probably already seen the post in my signature below on CGMS calibration. I wrote that a couple of years ago, and we use the same procedure today.

The only thing I would say has changed is that we routinely insert the sensor 6 hours before attaching the transmitter now. The 2007-2008 Minimed transmitter could be attached right after sensor insertion and calibrate accurately, but the more recent transmitters are a new design and generally turn off after a while if attached to the sensor less then 4 hours after insertion (we've had this problem with 4 of the new design, whereas our 2008 model never has this problem).

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Hmm.. we've never had this problem.. I have transmitters from 07/08/09 and 10.. all work well and work the same with getting the signal within minutes of attaching the sensor and transmitter. I haven't noticed a change in the design either, is it something internal?

6. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Interesting...We've never had this issue. We've had three transmitter from 2007 to 2010

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've never had that problem either, Darryl. I do like inserting the sensor a couple of hours before I switch the transmitter over, though. It makes the initial numbers more reliable.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Use the predictive alarms. That was my favorite feature and I know dexcom doesn't have it.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks for saying this - I thought I was going mad. If I attach the transmitter right after inserting the sensor, I get one or two ISIG readings and then it goes to weak signal (no matter how close together the transmitter and reciever are). Then a while later the transmitter flashes with the green starting light again and the 2 hour calibration time restarts. I assume this is what you are talking about?

10. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Wow our trainer told us to wait 15 minutes......

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Our 2008 model works well even if plugged in 1 minute after insertion. The 2010 model (the only one of the four from 2010 that even worked at all) needs at least 4 hours, even 6. We alternate between the two transmitters every week, and the pattern is clear and consistent. The 2008 tx is always spot-on, the 2010 tx is OK but has larger fluctuations and often cuts off mid-week which we never see with the 2008 tx.

MM told me that they changed the design to "allow the transmitter to ship not plugged into a charger". That might have something to do with it, or perhaps their consistency in prodution is the problem. Bottom line, if you have a good one you have a good one, if you have a bad one you have a bad one.