- advertisement -

Grrrreeeaatt. Bring on the food police.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Mar 9, 2011.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Remember that whole thread about foods we say no to? Like I said in that I try very hard to give them a balanced diet, like before D. But I do occasionally give in on some things. Well I gave in the other day to two things I normally don't buy,because I think they're junk I think these things are awful, but figured once in a while won't kill anyone. Frozen curly fries and Toaster strudels. And I figured no one will know and comment if I let my T1 child have a toaster strudel this once. The D police don't come directly into my home,no biggie. So he tells me just now that part of the new health series they are doing in class, includes logging what the students eat for each meal, but only for last night's dinner and this morning's breakfast. So now he has to write down and share with his teacher that he ate this junk. Curly fries last night and toaster strudel this morning. I can just hear her asking if maybe this is why he has highs lately. Why oh why couldn't she have sent this assignment home night before last? That way he could log a dinner of chicken,brown rice and brocolli? And a breakfast of yogurt and bananas? :rolleyes:

2. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

LOL That happened to us too. Ours lasted for 3 days so we were able to smarten up for the duration of the assignment. OR you could use the meal from the night before the assignment. It's not lying just showing a better example of what you eat. Of course having the strudel is allowed so it may be good to educate the teacher that diabetics can eat anything? I know I'm reaching here!

3. MamaBear

At least it's not just me! ;) He went ahead and filled it out without my help. I'm hoping he is wrong about only logging those two meals. I am hoping he will have to log for a few more days so I can redeem myself with something a little more healthful.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

That happened last time at the endo, the nutritionist asked him (she'd never done this before) to tell her what he ate the prior day...of course it was a HORRIBLE day of fast food and late night meals...I was laughing and begging him to PLEASE report for the day before instead, nope he was brutally honest and admitted to having 3 burgers with fries instead of the very respectful meal of the day before of chicken, but she did see the humor in it at least.

5. MamaBear

Oh no! Darn kids being honest! ;)

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You are assuming the teacher will say something, maybe she won't? No need to worry about something that hasn't happened yet, right?

But yes, in general you are going to have people make comments about what you feed your child, unfortunately. Believe it or not, sometimes those questions are valid. But often times they are said out of ignorance. And it is frustrating. But over time hopefully you will learn to see it as an opportunity to educate the person, so that there is one less person in the world with false information about the realities of living with diabetes.

7. MamaBear

I was assuming, but being humorous about it. I do wonder though what she will think since the school just called and he is 328.:( Stupid toaster strudel! ETA he did go high yesterday at this time too, after a breakfast of bananas and yogurt. SIGH. Just when we got rid of the lows...again.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  8. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, that's funny!! Before our endo appointments we have to log the last 5 days worth of meals. Of course that's when we eat the healthiest! ;)

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Those are hard to deal with, but very tasty. I put them in the same catagory as Pop Tarts.....now those things are Evil...:mad:

For the record I think you are right to let him have things like this every once in a while. Don't worry about what the teacher, or anyone else for that matter, says. And who knows, with enough experience you may be able to reduce the spike?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  10. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, I had to make an Executive Decision last week and ban Pop Tarts from our house all-together. Evil, evil, evil things!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

This has happened to me before. First day of class this semester, my TECA teacher has us write down everything we ate the day before. I had got called in to work at the last minute and had just thrown stuff into my lunch box, all high carb, high calorie stuff, because there wasn't time for anything else. That evening we were coming home and I had a stubborn low that would NOT come up above 59 with 20 skittles and a tab. So, my mom stopped at the nearest place and got me a hamburger and fries.

A week ago we had to share how many calories we had had. I had 2232 calories. The next highest was 1800something. Everyone else ate below 1000 calories. They were all on "diets."

12. MamaBear

My kids like both. I never buy either, but they asked right when the stupid things were on sale, I gave in.

I grew up with a mother who was a nutritionist in the weight loss industry for a few decades. Our household was VERY STRICT foodwise. NO JUNK of any kind, ever. The result was my brother and I now have serious food issues (no self control with the things we always wanted but were never allowed to have), and serious body image issues. My brother is taking the same route my mother chose, and is not succeeding. He is obese and giving his kids what I feel is the wrong message. I try to teach my kids to eat healthful foods (what I think my mother was trying but failed at) but also allow junk like the toaster strudels once in awhile. I figure if I allow it sometimes, things in moderation, they won't have issues with the "forbidden" fruit as adults. So I hope he enjoyed the dang strudel. SIGH

13. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Funny! Interesting how they didn't record lunch. I'm sure the school provided, nutritious lunch would be a model meal :). My daughter usually buys pizza or chicken nuggets, a cookie and often chocolate milk! Yuck.

14. MamaBear

LOL no kidding. My son doesn't get school lunch this year. I had too many worries because I've heard too many stories about kids not getting the lunch they requested. I didn't want him to take insulin for one meal only to get to the cafeteria and receive a different meal. So he takes his lunch. But I do think it's interesting they didn't record lunch at all for this project. The other night over our chicken and rice we were actually discussing school lunches, how bad they taste and how junky they are.

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Or my favorite, oh, they're "healthy" all right, but nothing the kids will eat. They reduced the number of carby foods, because of the obesity epidemic, but, c'mon, what kid eats a FISH SANDWICH with NAVY BEANS?! And the only other food they get with it is a popsicle? No filling content, and that's all most of them eat. At least give them a sweet with substance if you're going to feed them that combo. Sometimes the school's breakfast and lunch is all some of these kids get to eat (we know this to be a fact), so to feed them something so gross is beyond me. This is why the school nurse keeps TONS of food in her office. On days when the cafeteria serves nasty combos, she gets a ton of kids with stomachaches who didn't eat, so she feeds them cheese crackers or pb crackers.

16. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

You're forgetting that the teacher is going to see the foods ALL the kids have eaten. Chances are, curly fries and toaster strudel aren't the worst things she'll see!!!! Of all the foods out there, surely there are worse things to eat!

But you're right--it's never when you're being good that things like this pop up. Ironic, isn't it?

As for pop tarts...those are banned in our house, too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. We went through a phase where we bought them pretty consistently (and honestly, DH ate most of them lol) but now I am not even tempted when I pass them in the store. Do you think they'd survive a nuclear blast? :) lol

Don't feel bad for giving in once in a while. FWIW, I don't hold it against you for feeding your child (D or not) those things now and then. :) It can't be worse than full sugar soda (which many many kids drink EVERY single day)! All things in perspective!

17. MamaBear

DOH! Again, glad it's not just us. ;)
    My kids have told me before about only eating part of a lunch because they tasted so bad. And I don't think I would want Navy Beans and Fish, especially from a school cafeteria! We need a barfy smiley just for that combo.

You're right I totally forgot she will be looking at everyone else's food logs too. I think poptarts could survive! I know several military folk who take those things out in the field for when MREs get boring. Just looking at the flavors they have for sale, and the colors of frosting makes me gag. Raspberry toaster strudels though, now those are yummy. Evil things! I do still wish that she had started this class project on any day other than last night. LOL Back to healthy eating tonight!

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Our endo was going through our logs on one visit (this is way back when I logged everything! :cool:) - weeks of healthy, well planned meals and he makes a comment about the ONE DAY when my kids had McD's for lunch and Kraft dinner for supper. I wanted to fall into a hole and throttle him at the same time. :p

19. MamaBear

What a jerk! ;)

20. MamaBear

Well thankfully he was wrong about only logging those two meals.:) He's going in today having written down a dinner of pasta (no sauce) with brocolli and a breakfast of nice boring oatmeal. I may or may not have eaten the last toaster strudel possibly on purpose. :rolleyes:;)