- advertisement -

Growth spurt

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KarenLynn, Sep 17, 2007.

1. KarenLynn

KarenLynn Approved members

Okay, once again I am here looking for answers, help, support. You are so wonderful and I am grateful there is somewhere to come with these questions.

When you are dealing with what you believe to be a growth spurt, does your child experience lows?? Brand new jeans bought 5 weeks ago are now so tight (not yet worn or washed) I have to return them. Was not fun dressing her this morning :(

My daughter just started kindergarten, and without getting into all the details, her activity level has decreased slightly, we've lowered her lantus and her ratios (or is that raised?) and still we are experiencing lows. Mid morning is a big problem, with her missing a good 15-20 minutes of class time daily. Now she's even dropping at the end of the day. The time from breakfast to morning snack is greater than it has been in the summer.

Do bodies adjust to time differences like that? Or will the school have to accommodate her snack at an earlier time? This actually would be difficult as this time is "specials"; art, music, gym, etc.

Ugggh. Sorry so long. Please help!

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

My first question before I answer is.... are you giving the Lantus in the morning. So that morning low she might be experiancing is due to the Lantus peaking. Since the snack time changed for her since starting school, it might not be at the right "time" for the peak.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We don't experience lows with growth spurts, we experience highs. YDMV

IMO ...With school, even though they're sitting more than what they would be running around on an average day at home, they're still using lots of brain function and that could be your cause of lows. If your experiencing lows before meals, I'd adjust the Lantus (to receive less), if your experiencing lows after meals I'd adjust the carb ratios (so the number goes higher).

Your school should accommodate about anything you ask, to prevent your daughter from going low.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has always needed less insulin during the school days that he does on weekends or during the summer.

If she is experiencing lows, you must lower the insulin until she stops having the lows. If she is low 2-3 hours after a meal, she needs less insulin at that meal. If she is low right before a meal or 4-5 after a meal or in the middle of the night, she needs less Lantus. Don't be afraid to make changes like this.

Growth requires more insulin, not less.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Our current growth spurt, like all the previous ones, yields lows. All in the middle of a hellacious transition from NPH to Lantus where his numbers were all over the map. Happily (risking a jinx here) everything seems to have leveled out as far as the insulin goes. The growth, well, that's another story :rolleyes:

Becky

6. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

We found that the biggest insulin need was right after they fell asleep. Turned the pump basal up significantly in anticipation and then backed off about an our or two later.

YDMV

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Growth spurts for us cause highs, not lows.But, YDMV. Lows are ususally due to more exercise like the regular exercise they get at recess, or heat. When the weather gets warmer...We chase lows for several days while we make the adjustments:cwds:

8. KarenLynn

Grace gets her Lantus at 7:00 pm. I think the biggest factor is she eats breakfast at 7:30 and snack isn't until 10:45. She starts going low about 10:20. Over the summer we ate breakfast later and snack earlier, but shouldn't she be able to go 3 hours without eating?? That being said, I am convinced we are in the middle of a growth spurt.

Did your kids rebound sometime after diagnosis?? She had lost about 4-5 pounds, which she gradually gained back, but now this is just crazy!!!

Her night time numbers and morning number are great...95-120. I just wish I could figure this all out :(

9. KarenLynn

OH...She definately was more active at home than in school. But she is SOOO excited and just loves school...that could be a factor. Weather wise, it's warm, but not as hot as the summer was.