- advertisement -

Growth spurt Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, Dec 22, 2010.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Could a growth spurt account for nighttime highs? DD has been quite high in the first half of the night (8-12), when her basal rates are otherwise the highest, for the past week (of course, it took me way too long to see this -- we had a dislodged canula one night and an after dinner "fiesta" at Spanish class).

I've been adjusting her basal rates, but now think I've been too conservative.

I had assumed that a growth spurt would lead to different carb ratios and ISF as well as basal... but things seem to be working at other times of day.

2. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Yes it can. growth hormone is at its highest during the nighttime hours when the body is at rest

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes during a real good growth spurt I expect basal to at least double for the first half of sleeping hours.

And any "naps" that last more than 1hour.

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thanks, that is good to know (even if it confirms that I've been way too conservative with the basal adjustments).

5. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

That has been our experience, too.

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I do alot of temp basals during growth spurts, then make a basal change because she is bigger.

But generally leave the carb ratios alone. You may have to change the correction factor to add more insulin.