- advertisement -

Greetings!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HarleyGuy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

How have you been treated so far?

I haven't a thing to complain about. They have just been fantastic to me. My medical care is outstanding. I receive everything I could need, and then some.
    But that is not where my "complaint" starts with the VA.

I hope they are treating you good.

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

Welcome. My 9 year old is the only child in his school of close to 300 kids with type 1, but right about the time he was diagnosed, two adults associated with the school got type 1. One was a teacher's assistant in her 30's and one is a parent who is in his 50's. Just goes to show that it can happen at any point in life.

We have a separate board for adults with type 1 and some of them were dx'd as adults. Some adults hang out on the busiest board -- the parents of children with type 1. You're welcome to post anywhere you'd like.

I don't think anyone really understands the cause of type 1, though there are lots of theories. I've seen stats that it's going up every year in children -- particularly preschoolers, but I haven't seen any stats about adult onset. It would be interesting to see if the incidence is rising in adults too.

I used to work for the EPA and we had lots of info about persistent organic pollutants being linked to many endocrine diseases. Most people have hundreds of these compounds in their body fat. If the average person is affected by typical exposure, I can't imagine what heavy exposure to something like Agent Orange must do -- plus all the other chemicals and the stress that soldiers in Vietnam dealt with. I'm really sorry about what's happened to you. You seem to have a great attitude. That helps so much when dealing with a chronic diseases and requires such intense daily management. My son has a CGM and a pump too and it's made life so much easier.

I hope you stick around and share more about yourself.

3. HarleyGuy

Thank you Rella.
    I can't even imagine growing up with diabetes. Since dioxins really damaged my pancreas, I have no choice now but to do all I can to stay ahead of any more damage from being T1.

I'm here to learn all I can in dealing with my diabetes, so I will be sticking around.

I wish Brendan and yourself much success living with this challenging disease.

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search for the correlation between dioxin and diabetes. There's a lot out there and it's contentious, like everything else in diabetes research. I can't find the abstract for an article by a guy named Slade, but found this abstract.

Here's the abstract:

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is very interesting Rella, thanks for posting it. I honestly think that there is a link between exposure to agent orange and type 1 & 2 diabetes, cancers, developemental delays in children whos parents were exposed to dioxin and who knows how many other chronic diseases. As with Thimerisol, if the govt or big Pharma admit that this is true, they leave themselves open to millions of dollars worth of lawsuits. Its easier for the gov't to just ignore the claims and not do the research necessary to prove the links, easier and less costly of course.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Oh and Ron, I am so sorry that this thread has been hijacked with all of our interest in the link between agent orange and type 1 diabetes.I just find it fascinating because of my belief that there are many things that can cause type 1 d to start, many of them we may not know about yet. If that can be figured out, we will be another step closer to finding a cure.

7. HarleyGuy

I, as well as many other veterans, have found this very true on so many levels

8. HarleyGuy

No apologies needed. I welcome the input.:)

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think had the OP been a different poster stating that their Type 1 Diabetes was caused by too much exposure to sunlight, the curiosity would have been the same. It is not a highjack asking for literature on the subject. I think we all share an interest in what caused this disease and anyone affirming with certainty that it was X, heck, that stirs my curiosity 1000%. Just think of how many would be willing to write to the media or their gov't demanding explanations? I know I would.

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

There does seem to be a dioxin link. The incidence of T1 is higher in paper plant workers too.

11. Becky Stevens mom

I just meant that it was a hijack from his just introducing himself thread but that we are all very interested in the link between dioxin/agent orange exposure and type 1 d. I now wonder where else dioxin can be found? Is it in things that we would have around our homes? Im going to be researching it alot more. I wish we could make some type of database where people can talk about what other things were going on when they or their kids were diagnosed. Were they exposed to pesticides, fertilizers, BPA in plastics. I did bottle feed my kids and did heat up bottles in the microwave, was I releasing BPA in the formula. Scary thought I know

12. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Welcome! My father has type 2 and agent orange exposure. (of course his whole family has type 2 but I digress) He is collecting from the VA on it. He also is very thankful for the VA and has nothing but positive things to say about his benefits. My father would like to think that his exposure could have caused my son's type 1. I have a hard time swallowing that one. :)

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Welcome Ron, sorry, I didn't see you earlier...I LOVE motorcycles, I used to sneak and ride them when I was a teen (On the back of coarse):D

14. HarleyGuy

Hi Heather. Too bad I left Calif. or I could get you on the back again for a ride. My Harley has great seats and stereo sound too. I lived in Calif. for 30 years. Started out as an air traffic controller in Fremont, working all the bay area. Got tired of fighting the commute traffic going to work - fighting the air traffic as my work - and then do the same thing to get home. I transferred to Yuba City/Marysville and spent 22 years there. I only lived a nice ride away from Lake Tahoe and loved riding in the foothills. Since I lived right at the base of the Sierra Nevada, it was easy.
    I used to ride to Riverside often to visit friends and I5 was like an old friend to me. I left Calif. in 2000 when I found out my Dad had been diagnosed with cancer.

15. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

What she said. ;) Also, many of us have a tendency to only hang out in the parents section and forget there are other areas to explore.

We all look forward to your input, as its nice to have an adult perspective on what is happening to your body, rather than just hear the words, "I don't feel right." :eek:

16. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

Hey Harley Guy, welcome!!!!! I think I had the pleasure of talking to you on the diabetesdaily site right after my son was diagnosed. I seem to recall you were very friendly and helpful. I've been spending more time on here as it is more geared towards my particular situation but welcome...you will find there are many very smart, helpful and wonderful folks on here. Look forward to seeing your posts!!!

17. HarleyGuy

Thanks. I hope things are going well for you all. I sure hope Jackson is doing good. I am not here as often as I am at DD, which I stop in when I can. I love to read and I learn so much from everyone.
    Good luck and best wishes.