- advertisement -

Greetings!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HarleyGuy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

you're claiming that it's agent orange related and there is absolutely no proof that it is. That's all. I'm not debating the fact that you think it is, but many people have asked you for proof of this and I was simply stating that there is no research at this moment in time that says that type 1 diabetes is agent orange related. I am well aware of how the VA works and I'm simply stating that type 1 diabetes is not a covered Agent Orange illness at this time.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

In the book "The Autoimmune Epidemic" they do mention that dioxin is a known immune suppressor. However, there is no mention of it directly contributing to Type 1 Diabetes.
    There is mention of studies where pregnant mice are exposed to dioxin, their babies then develop autoimmune disease. But there is no mention of which autoimmune disease that is/those are.
    There is research going on, again according to the same book, on how exposure to dioxin may affect the autoimmune system. But again, no mention of its confirmed link to Type 1 Diabetes.

If you have definite literature on this, please share. It concerns everyone on board, IMO.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Paula, Im glad you read the book "The autoimmune Epidemic" Its fascinating and startling in my opinion. I think that science has no idea yet what parts of the body are affected by things such as dioxin and pesticides. We live right next door to a huge corn field, Ive always wondered if there were pesticides used there:confused:

4. StillMamamia

Oh, dioxin and other chemicals were very present in the area where I used to live. The same area where I got pregnant with Ian. I don't doubt dioxin's autogen properties. Just would like to have tangible studies on its link to T1 D.

5. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

I'm glad you are so aware of how the VA works. How does it work? I'm still trying to figure that out.
    I never said it was a covered illness. I said it was an illness. It's not a "covered" illness doesn't change the fact that it is an illness. There is many illnesses that the medical profession state is not a covered illness from something.
    My VA Dr's are well aware of how the VA works too. I am there a great amount of time. My DR's will tell me one thing and the VA will publish something else. No surprise there. The government lying to me goes back to 1971. I'm used to it now.
    I have spent years trying to find documentation that many of you keep asking me for. If it was that easy, this would all have been resolved years ago. If there is no documentation, then I guess it doesn't exist. So to all who keep asking, sorry. I'm still trying.

It still doesn't change a thing, unless it makes you feel better just knowing it is not a covered illness. Since there is no government documention, then it doesn't happen. Makes life easier for sure.

Next time I'll take more care in mentioning how I became a type 1. This is the first place I've ever had to "defend" why I'm a type 1. Unbelievable, but I suppose to be expected.
    Look at this thread. I say I'm type 1 from my exposure to agent orange, and look what took over. It's darn near comical
    It sure seems to rile some individuals.

6. StillMamamia

Interesting choice of words here. Care to expand on this?

7. Becky Stevens mom

Im thinking the VA works kinda like some big Pharma companies and insurance companys. They state that there is absolutely no link between thimerosol and autism and by golly! they dont have to pay any claims for that even though there is a great deal of evidence that thimerosol and autism have a very strong link. Its hard to get research done on things like that cause it wont save anyone any money but cost the big pharma and insurance companys millions.

8. frizzyrazzy

My goodness Harley Guy - for someone so new to the forum you sure do seem to have a lot of opinions on this forum. Strange.

9. frizzyrazzy

well even the link between agent orange and type 2 diabetes isn't all that strong. The link is between agent orange and insulin RESISTANCE, nothing else. And those studies were done on people who lived near or worked in plants that produced it, and the studies have shown that those people were exposed to agent orange in much higher quantities than the Vietnam veterans. No correlation has ever been made between type 1 diabetes and agent orange. Ever.

It's completely different than big pharma. It's not going to cost the VA anythign more really since most of these veterans are already in their system and type 1 diabetes hits such a small percentage of the population statistically speaking. Agent orange has already been shown to be harmful and the cause of many diseases so the VA is constantly updating their list of covered diseases and so they're not "hiding" anything or covering anything up or denying that agent orange was responsible for all these diseases. But there just hasn't been anything to date shown that agent orange causes type 1 diabetes.

10. Lance

Lance Approved members

Ron -

Welcome. Know that not everyone on here is as "skeptical" as a couple of the other posters on this thread. Just because there is no confirmed, admitted link between T1 and Agent Orange doesn't mean there is no connection. By the same token, many on this board believe there are all kinds of links between T1d and other things (vaccines, foods, etc).

I hope your stay on this board is better than this thread indicates. You, like a couple other adults with T1 that hang out here offer valuable insights into what our kids (and grandkids :D) have in their future.

11. HarleyGuy

Guess I've learned fast by those who live on here frizzy razzy. After this thread was turned into much more that my "Greeting" introduction, strange seems almost appropriate. But you're right, strange is a very good description of this "Greeting" thread.

12. HarleyGuy

No way. I've quickly learned not to expand on anything now.

13. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Welcome to CWD. Sorry about the tension -- that's not what CWD is about.

On a lighter note, what kind of Harley do you ride? Years ago I had a red and black Softail Custom. I still miss it.

14. HarleyGuy

Hi Lance. Thanks for the welcome and the advice. It's no big deal, I'm a diabetic, my skin has toughened.;)

15. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Not that it is anywhere near as severe as diabetes, but fibromyalgia wasnt recognized for decades. I finally got diagnosed in 2003 after hearing for years that it was a garbage pail diagnosis and it was all in my head. I still deal with alot of scepticism because fibro is an 'invisible disease'. I look normal so you dont see how much pain Im in day to day or how tired I get from just doing simple things or my frustration when I cant find the word I want to say. Some people are amazed that I can do the job I do.

Im sorry. Im rambling. Bad, painful day at work. But I just wanted to say I understand how you feel dealing w/ an unrecognized condition or cause of a condition. Again I do know however that fribro is nothing next to diabetes.

I hope you get some answers soon. And yes, post a pic of your bike will you? My husband used to ride and misses it alot.

16. HarleyGuy

Thanks Jeff. Like I told Lance, my skin has toughened through the years, so it's really insignificent to me.

I ride a Harley Ultra Classic and occasionally my 85 Ironhead Sportster. My son-in-law seems to have taken a real liking to the Ironhead cuz it is so "old school" he says.:) I've been riding for around 40 some years and still just love it. I take a lot of meds, but my Harley at times is the very best medicine I could have. I always feel better after a few miles on it.(or a thousand)

17. Becky Stevens mom

Yeah my hubby has a Harley and a Norton but plans on selling the Norton even though he loves British bikes!! (already sold the Triumph:( ) Like i said Ron, join us in the chat sometimes. We are a motley crew but a lively one at that:D

18. HarleyGuy

Thank you Kris. My wife is an RN with fibro issues as well, so I understand what you said. She has realized by taking 2000iu of D3, many of her symptons seem to have lessened considerably. She is my right hand person for much of my searching for answers.She also at one time worked for the VA, caring for vets with serious health issues. She leaned through blood test that she, like much of America, are very deficient in Vit.D, which is not really a vitamin, but a hormone.
    I wish you well in the struggle you and your family face daily.

19. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Welcome to the forums Ron.

I've always wondered why there is so much discussion about "endocrine disruptors" in the medical literature and not enough studies on how it causes/relates to type 1 diabetes. I'm so sorry you and so many were exposed to Agent Orange. And I hope that under the Obama administration all veterans including you will be given the excellent care you deserve. As I recall the government denied the type 2 connection for quite a long time also but more and more evidence came out showing there is indeed a connection or they could simply no longer deny it. (I also recall the gov't denying benefits to returning veterans from Iraq who had PTSD stating the soldiers had psychopathology prior to joining. That was beyond abhorrent.) I don't believe all the possible environmental causes/triggers of type 1 diabetes (whether chemically caused or spontaneously autoimmune) have been identified. I know plenty of people who had a stressor prior to onset - even as simple as moving from one country to another - that triggered type 1. Regardless of how you got it, I wish for you lots of support and good health.

BTW, I'm petrified of motorcycles, but if I ever get over that fear, I want an Indian -- must be the fringe .:p

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Hey Harely Guy, I would be happy to vent with you over the VA anytime, since I receive benefits through them from my time in the service!